Greetings everyone :) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Greetings everyone :)

Nephilim
09-02-2004, 15:03
I'm the new moderator of the writing forums... I'll be providing various writing excercises, story threads, and other writing prompts and stimulus for you. The demand/follow through will determine the frequency of the prompts :) The first prompt should be up today before I head off to work.

I'm going to sticky this thread for awhile for any questions or comments :)

tous
09-02-2004, 21:34
Nifto, Nephilim.

Can we do the first exercise based on your avatar?

;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f

And, is the word 'fluff' allowed in this forum?

;a

Nephilim
09-03-2004, 02:22
Originally posted by tous
Nifto, Nephilim.

Can we do the first exercise based on your avatar?

;f ;f ;f ;f ;f ;f

And, is the word 'fluff' allowed in this forum?

;a

No and No :) The first because I'd feel weird using my fiance's photo (most of which is her boobs and smile lol), and the second because we've got GnG and the Alex and Ox thread for fluff :) Although I don't have a problem with writing related humor type fluff or light discussion about writing. The word fluff can be used in a story though ;)

Nephilim
09-03-2004, 02:31
One more thing...

You'll likely notice a trend where I guide more than I produce. I've written a fair amount, for those interested I've studied more poetry and such related theory, than fiction... although I was a creative writing major for a few years when I drifted around in college :)

My point however is to hone my skills as a teacher is to construct adequate and stimulating exercises. Thanks for being my test subjects ;)

MrsKitty
09-03-2004, 09:28
You gonna be a slave driver? Tons of homework? ;P :)

Nephilim
09-03-2004, 12:45
Originally posted by misskitty5077
You gonna be a slave driver? Tons of homework? ;P :)

lol I honestly don't believe in homework. I know that sometimes its inevitable to send work home with students... but I really hate doing it. I think its bad enough that school wastes 1/3 of their day and 1/2 of their year. No need to infringe on their time outside of school where they might actually learn something useful ;)

But no, I'm definately not a slave driver... the excercises I'll post aren't mandatory or graded *grin*

MrsKitty
09-03-2004, 15:17
Ok, if you promise not to flunk me, I promise not to be the class clown :)

Nephilim
09-03-2004, 16:08

Deal :)

spork
09-05-2004, 14:03
This is great. I have not done any writing exercises since I was in college. I am glad that we have this in the glock community!

Nephilim
09-05-2004, 21:51
Originally posted by spork
This is great. I have not done any writing exercises since I was in college. I am glad that we have this in the glock community!

Well you better get over there and take advantage of it then *grin*

Arc Angel
11-10-2004, 05:11

;P Hey! That's my job you're talking about! I spent most of 8th grade English standing out in the hall. I was being punished for being, well ... (You know!) Did I learn any English standing there holding up the wall? No, can't say that I did; however, while observing life in the other classrooms, I discovered what a complete waste of time public school actually is and how much faster I could learn if I were, just, able to get rid of the damned teacher and read the books all by myself! ;f

Glennbo
02-01-2005, 00:20
I can hardly wait.

Miss Maggie
02-01-2005, 08:48
You might have to.

Nephilim
02-01-2005, 08:55
Glenn is an excitable lad. :)

Miss Maggie
02-01-2005, 09:03
Originally posted by Nephilim
Glenn is an excitable lad. :)

But this time he might be right!

Nephilim
02-01-2005, 10:34
Originally posted by Miss Maggie
But this time he might be right!

About what?

Miss Maggie
02-01-2005, 16:58
I'm the new moderator of the writing forums... I'll be providing various writing excercises, story threads, and other writing prompts and stimulus for you. The demand/follow through will determine the frequency of the prompts :) The first prompt should be up today before I head off to work.

I'm going to sticky this thread for awhile for any questions or comments :)

I thought it could have had something to do with this.

Nephilim
02-01-2005, 18:37
I thought it could have had something to do with this.

Ok :) The demand seemed rather low, I'll throw one up tonight.

Miss Maggie
02-01-2005, 18:50
Hey, thanks. I've been disappointed about the participation here, too.

Glennbo
02-02-2005, 01:10
Don't fret folks. My post was deliberately ambiguous. It could be taken literaly, or it could be sarcasm. Not using smilies to prompt the reader forces them to choose one. The replies are then more revealing and interesting. Consider yourselves the victims of MY writing excersise. :)

jvmallcop
06-14-2005, 15:10
I guess I'm not following the jist of this forum. Should we ask questions about proper technique? Or submit short stories or something to that effect? I have always been interested in writing. I have been told by my co-workers that I write well and should be a writer. But then again, most of my co-workers are hard pressed to spell their names correctly. I just don't know what to write about. Where did you start? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

jvmallcop
06-14-2005, 15:23
No offense intended, but if things don't work out (heaven forbid) between you and your fiance'; could I have her phone number? If that's a "NO", could I please just have some photos? I'll pay you for them. lol, just kidding about the phone number. PM me and we'll talk price on the photos.

Grog
06-23-2005, 16:42
That pic never did it for me, I prefer "Joy in Yellow" ;f

When are you going to change it back? ;f

Yasnevo
07-31-2005, 17:55
Can we post fiction here? Fiction loosely based on fact?

Y-

Miss Maggie
08-01-2005, 22:06
Originally posted by Yasnevo
Can we post fiction here? Fiction loosely based on fact?

Y-

Sure, but the Reading Room might be a better place.

Yasnevo
08-01-2005, 22:11
Ooooooooooookay :)

smith10
10-10-2005, 15:28
Greetings and salutations even.

frznballz007
10-24-2005, 22:59
Ok, so we were supposed to get some sort of writing thingy? Lets get to it then.

djkost
11-07-2005, 09:44
What kind of forum is this? Do we write are own short stories and let people read them and someone corrects them?

oldtrooper
01-12-2006, 21:20
I'm interrested also but since no one has heard from him since Nov 05 he may have been abducted by aliens.

GlockChuck23
04-25-2006, 19:41
Hello all :wave:

Another budding author here.

Anyone else have a simple writing exercise we can work on until Nephilim shows up.

What about a quick one? This is not about proper grammar, spelling or punctuation. Instead it is about getting the creative juices flowing.

Ok a quick exercise to get warmed up and maybe to get to know each other a little better.

Exercise #1

Why do you want to write?

GlockChuck23
04-25-2006, 19:52
I'll get this ball rolling.

Why do I need to write? The voices tell me I need to write. Like many others I feel I have the GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL (GAN) trapped in my mind and it's ready to come out. Of course this thought may be as unrealistic as my thought that at any moment I will win the lottery and retire. In high school I had a propensity for the written word. My writing seemed more focused and much darker during my teen "dark/depressed" period. Writing was an outlet for my frustrations. Now in much happier times the writing bug has bitten me again. I don't know if I have any big plan other than to just write. Maybe I just write for myself? Maybe I am writing to warm up to the GAN? I have many ideas that race through my mind and leave just as quickly. Ninety percent of the time I forget about them before I have the chance to jot them down. If I don't write I fear that my mind will stagnate. Writing stirs up my thoughts, my desires, and my fears.

So the quick answer on why I write is quite easy:

I write to stay sane.

Ok some random, stream of consciousness crap I thought up :)

GC23

Nephilim
05-10-2006, 14:34
Originally posted by oldtrooper
I'm interrested also but since no one has heard from him since Nov 05 he may have been abducted by aliens.

I was raped by sea monkeys.

No lie.

jvmallcop
05-10-2006, 18:50
Why do I want to write?... Good question. Most likely because I can't get anyone to listen to me when I speak. And for some odd reason I can never relate in spoken words what I really want to say. However, I can usually write a clear and concise paragraph without much trouble. Like GlockChuck23, I once thought I had the (GAN)rattling about in my brain. And similarly, I can't seem to keep-up with those great ideas that seem to vanish as quickly as they materialize.
I believe that most poeple write for similar reasons. But there is also the "anonymous factor". People are more willing to write down their innermost thoughts and feelings than to speak them. There is a sense of safety in writing. Take the normally calm, collected, reserved and law-abiding citizen, who would never think of expressing anger at an affront at the office or the market. Now let them get into their Subaru at 5:00 P.M. in heavy traffic on the 405. Not only will fingers fly, but a stream of profanity which would make a sailor blush, will spue like an erupting volcano. All the while executing violent lane changes, drafting and bumping that would make a Nascar drivers heart race.

See? I just wrote something that would come out completely diferent than if I spoke it. My spoken words would have been something more like..."Uggg, Mongo like write. people like write, not speak. Car flip bird make yelling. race car go fast. write is gooood."...
Well, You get the idea.

GlockChuck23
05-12-2006, 17:37
I was raped by sea monkeys.

No lie.

Some topics are best left unwritten.:shocked:

Miss Maggie
05-13-2006, 06:04
Originally posted by GlockChuck23
Some topics are best left unwritten.:shocked:

And some questionable topics make the best stories.:supergrin:

GlockChuck23
05-13-2006, 17:07
And some questionable topics make the best stories.:supergrin:

In fact it is probably a good writing exercise. Write a short story that starts off with:

"I was raped by sea monkeys."

LOL

Steel Talon
05-17-2006, 17:18
Ok I'll start it off.

"I Was Raped by Sea Monkeys"

I never expected to see them again. I thought I had laid that memory to eternal sleep, but I'm actually trembling.....

.......Who's next?

Peace
Talon:cool: