Firearms Training?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firearms Training??

Melissa Ann
09-03-2004, 09:12
It's been kinda quiet in here so I'll start something.

Have any of you gals taken any formal firearms instruction? If so, what have your experiences been like?? Or did you just go to the range and start shooting??

I'll start.

My dad took me to the range with him in May 2001. We fired about 50 rounds at paper plates and a couple targets. I did pretty good. Not formal training, but it was enough to get me interested.

In August, I flew to Texas to shoot an IDPA match. I got a brief lesson from the folks I was staying with - it was essentially a mini Chapman Academy lesson. It was wonderful - one-on-one instruction with some of the best shooters I know. Then I shot the match. And had a hoot - and I was bit by the bug, officially.

In October, I flew to Florida and took a 2-day class from Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics in Lakeland. It was a Ladies Only class and was amazing. I was so surprised at the things I was able to do by the end of the class. I think it was 700 rounds. I took 1000 rounds and am not sure what happened to anything that was left over, maybe we just shot it all up. lol. That's a lot of shooting in just a couple days.

In 2002 I took classes from Steve Silverman from FRI (Firearms Research and Instruction) and from Walt Rauch.

In all the classes, we did basic shooting mechanics, learned to draw from holster, shot from weird positions (pretend you've been shot and you've fallen, your leg and right arm are injured - shoot weak handed, while on your back. Or rolling across the range, or lots of other odd positions to show us we didn't have to be standing up and using both hands to shoot a bad guy). In one class, we spent the better part of half a day going over malfunction drills and how to clear jams. It was extremely valuable training. We also did simunitions/force on force training in a couple of the classed. Again, very valuable.

Ted and I do some of that training ourselves during the year, but it's been a while since either of us have taken an actual training class like that. I think 2005 will be a year for me/us to take at least one class each. Practice is great - and we need to do more of that too. But training by a reputable instructor is so worthwhile. They can point out things we're doing wrong, so we can correct a bad habit in the making. They can help us do things more efficiently.

So what are your experiences? Any classes you'd take again or recommend to others??

Jaegergirl
09-03-2004, 13:54
my "training" has been from my husband, a former marine, taking me to the range. that's been it so far. i know i've read that sometimes it's better to have training from someone other than your spouse but so far, it's been ok. my husband is very patient with me so so far, so good.

since i plan on getting my ccw, i will be taking the required 12 hour training required by the state of ohio and i'm really looking forward to that.

i would really like to take a class on basic self-defense using a firearm...if there is such a thing. i've heard the required training goes into "how to draw when" but i'm just not sure how much. i need to build up my confidence.

heck, i'd just love be around other women who enjoy shooting. it's hard for my husband and i to get to the range together because we have children and need someone to watch them. the local range has a ladies night on fridays and i'd love to go, but i'm not confident enough to go alone. maybe once i take the ccw class, i'll feel better about it.

great topic, btw.

Melissa Ann
09-03-2004, 14:03
But, if it's ladies night, chances are you wouldn't be alone. You'd be there with other gals who want to shoot more often and you'd make friends and learn more together. Instead of going to Quilting Circles, you go to the range. That sounds GREAT! From reading your posts, you seem to have more than just a little experience and should have plenty of confidence. Hubby's a marine?? And your instructor?? Good for you! You've probably got more experience than a lot of women already. Don't be afraid. Go and have fun! :)

flygirl
09-05-2004, 05:07
After getting my CCW my boyfriend suggested that I get some additional training. His good friend teaches classes here in town, so I enrolled in a level 1 tactical handgun class. It was very interesting and well taught. I learned alot and am looking forward to expanding my training when I can find the time to do so.

Jaegergirl
09-06-2004, 17:44
Originally posted by Melissa Ann
But, if it's ladies night, chances are you wouldn't be alone. You'd be there with other gals who want to shoot more often and you'd make friends and learn more together. Instead of going to Quilting Circles, you go to the range. That sounds GREAT! From reading your posts, you seem to have more than just a little experience and should have plenty of confidence. Hubby's a marine?? And your instructor?? Good for you! You've probably got more experience than a lot of women already. Don't be afraid. Go and have fun! :)

you're right, i just need to go. once i do it "for the first time," i think i'll be ok. we've both been avoiding the range this summer because it's not air conditioned and the last time we went (back in may), it was just too darn sweltering. now that summer is over and the weather will be getting cooler, it shouldn't be too bad.

Neva
10-06-2004, 03:32
I took a couple of different classes, including the traditional CCW classes via the NRA, then went to LFI with Massad Ayoob... that was the single most incredible learning and shooting experience of my life...

http://cpltrainer.com/LFINeva.jpg

Second target from the left is mine... all the rest that are visible belong to men although there were at least five other women there, not including instructors... taught me more than I could ever explain....

Glockgirl26
10-06-2004, 08:23
Ohio Police Officer Basic Training. Believe me, it is basic. However, my boyfriend is a firearms instructor, so I get personal instruction when we go to the range. Havent't been able to go lately, due to Physical Therapy issues, but am looking forward to the next time.

Vic303
10-06-2004, 11:47
I'd like to take a formal SD class here in DFW but $$ is an issue. They're not cheap. I've shot for years though so I'm comfortable with my firearms.

jadealion
10-08-2004, 11:36
I learned to shoot from the (now defunct) Colorado Women's Shooting Club. Continued learning from my husband. We also took two classes offered by the NRA. He now shoots IPSC, which I'm thinking about getting into.

Kolchak
10-08-2004, 13:10
I more or less taught myself to shoot. Books have taught me a lot as far as developing different skills.

However, as I have progressed to more than "backyard" shooting, I have received instruction from the guys in the IPSC group and the Cowboy Action Shooting group at our club. Along the way, I have also taken Hunter Safety Education and an NRA Certified Handgun Course, even though I had my license and was not required to take these, I figured they would be good to have in my jacket if the restrictions for licensing became even more restrictive.