Question for the Ladies in the know [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Ladies in the know

jeremy54b
09-03-2004, 17:33
I have a few questions for you all. I am quite frequently asked to teach brand new shooters, male and female alike that come into our community college law enforcement program. The administrators feel that my competition and military instruction background offers experience to these young people.

The male shooters I don't have too many problems explaining stance, trigger pull, sight alignment and such to because I do it in "male terms" (forgive my choice of words, I don't know how to explain it:)) The female shooters often are confused by my explanations of how to stand, how to pull the trigger, etc.

What worked for you ladies and helped you become the shooting enthusiasts you are today? About the only thing I honestly offer the male and female shooters is patience, because I don't believe in yelling at someone to correct a deficiency, I want them to want to come back. Any advice or experiences are appreciated:)

Vic303
09-03-2004, 21:25
Not sure how best to help you, other than to have you review your instructions with this in mind: Women have a different sense of spatial relations than men do--we navigate differently. There was a recent college study of navigation skills--One set of instructions referred to visual landmarks (the big oak, the radio tower, etc) and the other was in measured terms (go east 500yds, go north 1 mile) etc. Men did better with the measured terms instructions, and women with the visual landmarks one. Anecdotally, I find this to be true for myself.

jeremy54b
09-03-2004, 22:10
So, if I understood the spatial v. visual description correctly, I would be best served using liner type directions for male students, ie. "Place your left foot approximately 18" from your right at a 45 degree angle" and something similar to "make your feet form a triangle with equal sides" for a female or more visual person to include a demonstration (which I do every time anyway)?

MrsKitty
09-04-2004, 07:33
I was told to put this foot "here" and that foot "there". Eliminated all confusion when I looked at where the finger was pointing too :) But the triangle wording should work.

Also, I don't use one of the traditional shooting stances. I found them to put pressure on my bad shoulder. I was told the most important thing was to be comfortable in MY shooting stance.

jeremy54b
09-06-2004, 19:30
Thank ya kindly! I put your suggestions to work this weekend and BAM, we have a new shooter!:)

Vic303
09-10-2004, 09:58
Great! I'm glad the suggestions were of use to you! And got us all a new shooter to boot! Good job!

--Vicky

BikerGoddess
09-10-2004, 13:03
A guy taught me to shoot. This is how I did the first time out
http://www.bikergoddess.com/images/70rounds6yards.JPG

If I recall correctly, we didn't shoot for about the first hour. Covered safety first, then covered the basics of stance, grip, aiming, etc. Then did some dry firing. Then walked through loading and downloading and malfunction drills. Only then did we start shooting. And took it fairly slowly, discussing each shot at first, then moved to groupings, and discussing that.

He spent a lot of time setting expectations, which helped tremendously. Things like the sound and force I'd feel. That the stance would feel top heavy at first. He gave me things to look for, like not locking my arms. Also told me what I should see when I'm aiming. Told me where to aim (line the sights up in a flat line directly under what I want to hit).

Then we worked on each skill individually. And I never did anything "wrong", I just had areas I could improve in. For example, I didn't get "No"s I got "Next time, try ..."

One thing I see a lot is that guys try to get it perfect the first time. I certainly wanted to be good, but it's a lot more encouraging to hear that I was coming along nicely than for each flaw to be pointed out. I left feeling pretty good about the experience, rather than discourage because I was so crappy. Think it's all in the way it's presented.

Laura

Mrs.Cicero
09-17-2004, 19:43
The most helpful thing my instructor did was to keep reminding me to lean forward instead of backward. He said women new to firearms tend to lean back when they shoot, and i've found that to be true. Men just don't seem to do that...and I appreciated my instructor telling me the differences in what men and women do differently, and/or well, instinctively, poorly, etc when learning to shoot. He usually aimed those comments at the men in the class who might eventually get their wives/GFs out on the range, but i got the point. I especially appreciated the "women generally shoot better than men when they are both just starting, but men practice more, get better quicker and leave the women in the dust after that" So I take 16-50 hours of instruction /yr just to keep up with Mr.Cicero. (I finally figured out that he beat me at man-on-man exercises because of his EQUIPMENT... kydex vs leather, web belt vs leather, .45 vs 9mm, etc...we'll see who's faster now that we are both carrying the same gun w/same equipment!)
Mrs.C

QB
09-18-2004, 20:07
Yes....."leaning back".....so many of the pictures that the guys post of their wife, girlfriend, sister, mother, etc shows the woman leaning back....looks really uncomfortable and makes shooting accurately more difficult I would imagine. Wonder why women tend to do that? I don't think I ever did because I was told from the very beginning to lean into the shot (right or wrong, that was what I was told).

BikerGoddess
09-18-2004, 20:09
Originally posted by QB
Yes....."leaning back".....so many of the pictures that the guys post of their wife, girlfriend, sister, mother, etc shows the woman leaning back....looks really uncomfortable and makes shooting accurately more difficult I would imagine. Wonder why women tend to do that? I don't think I ever did because I was told from the very beginning to lean into the shot (right or wrong, that was what I was told).
Because you feel like you're going to fall forward, if you don't.

Laura

SlimKim
10-02-2004, 18:22
I pretty much taught myself to shoot so can't really help you out much. I started with the NRA program and learned the traditional Isosoclies (sorry, no spell checker here) stance which made me feel I was going to fall on my rump. I'm sure you teach a more practical stance than that.

I just wanted to mention that a book came out about a year or so ago called "Teaching Women To Shoot" which tells all about how women see, think and visualize differently than men and how to adjust your training for that. I'm on the road right now so I'm sorry I can't give you any other info on the book but perhaps you can find it by making a search in a book website. If you can't find it I can get you the publisher and authors names when I get home. The book certainly helped me out and you might find it useful.

Neva
10-06-2004, 03:24
That's by Master Firearms Instructors' Vicki Farnam and Diane Nicholl and it's available for something like $25.00 from the Oregon Fireamrs Institute web site...

One thing to remember, sir, is women have totally different body shapes and breasts pretty much require a different shooting stance than most men take....

I'm a female instructor myself, very much involved in new shooters and women's issues....