Hit [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hit

Matthew T.
09-03-2004, 20:48
What are you guys' favorite HIT routines?

California Jack
09-03-2004, 20:49
My favorite HIT routines are the 6 days off you take in between them.:)

Well, not exactly HIT, but if I had to work out in that style I'd do some sort of 20 rep squat program. Maybe;

Weighted Dips 2x12-15
Chinups 2x10-12
Breathing Squats 1x20
Pullovers 1x20

Like I said, not exactly Arthur Jones, More like Mark Berry, but it's as close as I come.

Jack

blueline2
09-04-2004, 13:36
I donít think itís appropriate to use the term ďfavoriteĒ when describing a HIT routine. The reason is a proper HIT routine is always changing and is dictated by set guidelines-unlike traditional, ďmore is better,Ē routines based on what sounds good or what worked for some guy in a magazine. A HIT routine should reflect oneís recovery ability, skill, muscle fiber make-up, lessons learned through trial and error, etc. In the beginning it may be productive to perform, for example, two sets of three exercises twice per week for chest. But as strength and size increase, recovery time increases and it may be best to change to one set of two exercises once per week while increasing the intensity, which is a skill. Iíve learned that my legs, which are made up of mixed muscle fibers, respond best to being worked through one set of three exercises once per week. However, my bench press goes up quickly when I lift chest, shoulders, and triceps, twice per week, while completing only one work set for chest and shoulders while doing nothing that isolates triceps. This has a lot do with my chest, which is fast twitch, my shoulders and triceps which are slow twitch, and the fact I box two to three times per week, which gives them all a workout. In addition to that, Iíve been working out for over 15 years and am able to get the most out of each set. That means no use of momentum, accentuating the negative, use of forced reps, etc. These issues are covered in depth at www.i-a-r-t.com and several other places on the net.