Leave cats alone for 4 days? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Leave cats alone for 4 days?

Glennbo
09-04-2004, 03:02
I'm going away for four days in Oct. and there's nobody to take care of my two cats. If I leave enough food for them (they get water from a dripping tap) will they be o.k.? They are three years old, have lived in this apt. with me that whole time, and have never been alone for more than a day and a half. When that happened they left me a "present" on the bed. They'd freak out if I took them somewhere else so that's a worse option than leaving them alone. What do you think?

KennyC
09-04-2004, 04:54
They'll probably be fine. Now dogs on the other hand....

KAC

MrsKitty
09-04-2004, 07:21
I think they would be ok. Just put out what dry food that you think they need, then double it. Just to be sure. Leave a few bowls of water just in case one of them knocks into the tap and causes it to quit dripping.

One of mine could handle being alone for two weeks. The other guy misses his people if they are gone for two minutes ;)

BikerGoddess
09-04-2004, 10:56
Ask your vet for a pet sitting recommendation.

Laura

fabricator
09-04-2004, 11:04
4 days is no problem with cats, just put a plastic cover on your bed.;)

costanza187
09-04-2004, 14:23
We boarded our kitty when we went away for 4 days. She survived. The only thing about leaving them alone is sometimes they will punish you, as in peeing on things. That's when you get back.

Glennbo
09-05-2004, 03:59
Thanks for the advice everyone. It's reassuring to think the guys will be alright.

scowan007
09-06-2004, 18:31
I'd have a pet sitter come look in on them at least once. If it were me, I'd have the sitter come once a day. What if one of them got sick or something? Pet sitter is cheap peace of mind. Also, that way you have someone checking the security of your home as well!

MrsKitty
09-06-2004, 18:58
Do you have a neighbor you trust?

I pet sit from time to time. I love going in about the third day to see a cat who isn't friendly. By then, I am his/her new best buddy :)

Glennbo
09-07-2004, 00:38
For security reasons I can't elaborate upon, a pet sitter is out of the question. I have three choices: Leave them alone for four days, take them to a friend's house, or not go on vacation. The problem with taking them to a friend's is that they've never left this apartment and they'd definately be traumatized by the whole ordeal. The question here is what will be more traumatic: a change in enviroment, or the absence of me.

ATL Peach Girl
09-09-2004, 04:42
Originally posted by scowan007
I'd have a pet sitter come look in on them at least once. If it were me, I'd have the sitter come once a day. What if one of them got sick or something? Pet sitter is cheap peace of mind. Also, that way you have someone checking the security of your home as well!

I agree......for your peace of mind......have a sitter come in and make sure the water and food are ok, then scoop the box(es) of poop..........

Ask your vet for pet sitter services......they usually only charge 10-15 bucks per visit.......it's worth that for your peace of mind......

Hamsquatch
09-10-2004, 14:55
We have eight indoor-only cats (I'm not kidding) - in addition to the bowls of water & food & more food, leave all of your sinks partially full, too.

MrFarkle
09-12-2004, 15:30
They'll be fine. Just double the number of litter boxes while your away.They can be picky about that.

scowan007
09-12-2004, 15:42
Go to the pet store before you leave and buy a few mice. Let them free in your house on the way out. That'll keep yer little fuzzies occupied.;P ;)

Screaming .357G
09-12-2004, 17:29
Go to the pet store before you leave and buy a few mice. Let them free in your house on the way out. That'll keep yer little fuzzies occupied

Akirakitten here.....

that would only be a good idea if you knew your kitties were good mousers.....otherwise you may come home to MANY more mieces!!!

tinagrrl
09-12-2004, 22:13
Many water bowls. Double amount of litter pans -- and fill a little more than usual. For my six I leave 12 small cans of wet food in little bowls , and quite a bit of dry food. In addition, I put towels on the beds and leave something I've worn on the bed, also. Sometimes it seems to calm them down a bit.

In truth, I suspect they call all their friends over for a wild kitty party.

Glennbo
09-13-2004, 04:05
Originally posted by Screaming .357G
if you knew your kitties were good mousers.....otherwise you may come home to MANY more mieces!!! They don't even kill bugs! They just watch them as though the bugs are thier "pets". They slowly reach out and PET them! Killers they're not.

Glennbo
09-13-2004, 04:11
O.K. folks. I'd like to thank you all. I've decided to leave extra food, water, and kitty litter, as well as my "smell" for them. But now, what do I do about ME missing THEM??? ;1 ;1 ;1 ;1

tinagrrl
09-13-2004, 11:01
Get home after having a good time -- knowing they will be happy to see you.

Cat's are very practical amimals -- I doubt they would sit still watching if you suddenly dropped dead -- "Is it food yet?"

they do have favorites, they do bond with people, they do learn.

My flame point, Dixie (AKA - Lila Claire) was shy, frightened, skinny, and frail when I brought her home. She spent the first week behind drapes or under the bed. The fact I had to take her to the vet, give her pills, and a topical ointment, twice a day for the first 2 weeks didn't help. Now she gets up on the bed every morning, giving head butts, and demanding attention. She's also learned to purr, and is not as talky. She has filled out nicely and now has a more "mature" more "rounded" shape -- she's calmer and more "reflective".

I went away for 3 days to Austin last week. They fared well -- and WERE happy to see me.