Any Dark Tower fans here? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any Dark Tower fans here?

Spyder Teeth
09-05-2004, 11:00
I can't believe nobody's started a Dark Tower thread here yet.

Who else is following Roland and his friends on their adventure? I'm about 1/4th of the way thru The Wastelands.

MrsKitty
09-05-2004, 12:08
I have read and enjoyed ever other King book except for the Dark Tower series. I could never get into them :( I still have them all, other than the last one. I am going to try them again since I think it was just me...

spork
09-05-2004, 13:45
Absolutely!! I read the first six books this summer, now I am waiting on the last installment to be released later this month.

Originally, a friend tried to get me to start them back in college, but I just wasn't ready at that time, I guess. Now I know what I was missing.

One of the interesting things about this series is how it ties in the stories of Salem's Lot and The Stand, two of my favorite King books.

wprebeck
09-05-2004, 19:32
The Dark Tower series has got to be my favorite from King. I love it, and can't wait to see how it ends. I truly hope all in the ka-tet survive, but I seriously doubt that happens. King has no problems killing off major characters (Larry from The Stand comes to mind).

Vart,

Those two books are by no means the only ones that King connects to the Tower series. If you pick up a copy of Song of Susannah, and check the inside cover, you'll see a list of what King has described as "Tower books". These include Insomnia, which has the first mention of the Crimson King, Salem's Lot (Father Callahan is a major character in Book 5), From a Buick 8 is also listed, but I can't figure out the connection yet. There's also a short story in Hearts of Atlantis that introduces the "Breakers", and both The Talisman and its sequel Black House are relevant.

If you haven't read them, I'd highly recommend doing so. That way, you get the full story on the Tower.

I first noticed King starting to string stuff together when book 3 (The Waste Lands) came out. Randall Flagg obviously had returned to the King world, and this made me start looking a bit closer at what he was doing in his novels. Here's a couple more connections he's made between books:

In The Tommyknockers, two of the kids from Haven travel to Derry to buy batteries. While there, they describe seeing a clown in Derry doing some odd things. Of course, the others in Haven pass this off as the air being different outside of Haven, but we all knew it was Pennywise, ;e.

Insomnia has a couple as well. Keeping with the theme from It, the murder of the homosexual guy (Adrian?) is mentioned, and the Crimson King makes note that "shapechanging is a time-honored thing in Derry" (paraphrased, of course). Another connection to of of King's stories is the shoe Gage was wearing when he was hit by the truck in
Pet Sematary.

There are more, of course, but here's the point I'm trying to make:
After I started to notice King making all these connections to the Tower, and seeing just how far he was going with Roland, I made a prediction...I said that he'd finish off the Tower series, which would conect the dots nicely, and when Roland got to the tower, King would retire. Looks like what I said in 1993 is going to happen. I'm gonna miss devouring his new books after this one is released, because he's such a great writer (even if he is a Democrat). I've loved almost all of his novels, minor exceptions being Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne (DC having it's own Tower connections, albeit thru a roundabout way via Insomnia).

In any case, I can't wait to read the final part of the Roland's journey to the Tower. The only problems I've had so far with the whole story is the lightsabers in Wolves of the Calla and King inserting himself in Song of Susannah. I haven't figured out where he's going with the latter, and being a die-hard Star Wars geek, I feel lightsabers should be left for those who know how to use them....

On a side note, that's two things I love ending within the next year:
1st, King is finished with his writing, and

on May 19th, the final Star Wars movie is released (it's titled Revenge of the Sith, and I got the T-shirt, hehe.

Spyder Teeth
09-19-2004, 17:11
For those interested, Stephen King will be on the NBC's Today Show tomorrow morning for an interview. An excerpt from the new DT book is available on the MSNBC website, punch here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6029553/).

Etchglow
09-19-2004, 18:57
love em :D cant w8 for the last book :P

Roland O'Gilead
09-20-2004, 00:07
I have been reading these books since I was 10 and I am finally going to get to see how it ends on Tuesday. I was delighted with the 6th book as it began to confirm my suspicions (ever since Insomnia) that the Dark Tower series was going to wrap together almost every story he had ever written.

Then again, my screen name is a dead giveaway that I am a tower fan.

wprebeck
09-22-2004, 08:36
So, anyone finished book 7 yet?

I thought it was a bit hurried, and that King just got tired of writing. Opinions?

spork
09-22-2004, 17:31
Just started it last night, but haven't got too far yet.

T-Maggot
09-22-2004, 18:34
I'm a moron, or tired:)

T-Maggot
09-22-2004, 18:43
I can't help but wonder if the guy who did LOR (can't remember his name, must be tired) would do the Dark Tower series any justice on the big screen. Could he break the cheesiness curse that Stephen King "movies" tend to have?

wprebeck
09-23-2004, 05:40
If Peter Jackson were to do the DT series, he have a lot to do. Not to mention, he couldn't really edit out much, as there are so many subtle clues throughout each novel as to what is happening to Roland. Heck, I didn't even know about the "loop theory" until last week, and it turned out to be true....

T-Maggot
09-23-2004, 21:03
I've been reading this series since about '93. These last few days are killing me:) (free shipping=longer wait)
I personally wouldn't mind 3-4 hours of film per book. I'm still young enough to hold my pee that long:) Unless I get the big gulp, then I'm done for. ?Depends maybe?:)

G33
09-26-2004, 02:43
I like the series a lot!
Working through VI.
Got VII as a gift today.

And, it is fun to see the links.
G29 and I often talk about the connections.

I know not of the loop in King.
But it appears the show Andromeda is going for a loop.

G33
09-26-2004, 20:04
I see the lightsaber and the Harry Potter snitch/grenade as tongue-in-cheek satire by King.
Excellent cross references by you guys above.
;f

G33
10-17-2004, 06:02
Finished DT #6 yesterday.
Have #7 in hand.
Think I will hold off a bit.
#6 did not seem as well done as the others in the series.
Could be me; I was doing the Da Vinci Code at the same time.

Zenitram
10-18-2004, 00:09
I finished DT7 yesterday, and man it was a rollercoaster ride. I laughed, I had to fight back tears, and right now I can't believe it's finally over. I've never heard of any theories because I wanted to keep the book spoiler-free, but I LOVED how it ended. The only thing I didn't like was the Crimson King.

Now that so much has been brought to my attention I am going to re-read the whole series and catch all the foreshadowing that I missed the first time around.

Well done Stephen King, if it does ya fine, and say thankya;f

Coogan
10-19-2004, 09:56
I've been reading the DT series since 1994.

I finished DTVII in a day. I could not put the book down! I will re-read it just to see if I missed any of those "small points" that King is famous for.

I did enjoy the ending, and I feel King did an excellent job.

I am sad that the journey is over.......or is it?????? :)

Semper Fi,

Mike

G33
10-19-2004, 11:29
Into DT #7.
Seems to move along pretty well.
Already like it better than #6.

Hugo R
10-19-2004, 15:29
I read "The Stand" in high school and have been hooked ever since.

I'll be purchasing DT VII this weekend. I'm amassing all of the connected books in hardcover and as many in first edition as possible. It's pretty kool stuff.

Along with all of the Dune and Thomas Covenant stuff coming out I'll be hanging out in fantasy land for quite some time!

WFO2
10-21-2004, 08:43
yeah thought that Blane the mono was a pretty cool adversary......

Hugo R
11-17-2004, 17:14
Originally posted by wprebeck
So, anyone finished book 7 yet? I thought it was a bit hurried, and that King just got tired of writing. Opinions?

Done.

I agree that it was a little hurried and I personally think King was exhausted. However, I just don't quite believe he'll be completely done. I've got a feeling we'll see more from him.

Either way the man is a genius and all I can say to him is, Thankee Sai!

batangueno
12-01-2004, 03:08
I've read the first 4 a long long time ago. I've seen DT VI and VII books in our local bookstores but i can't find DT V anywhere around here. I guess i'll just read the 4 books again before going into the 3 new ones. Based on all of your comments, i'm sure i will be enjoying them as well.

G33
12-01-2004, 07:12
Finished #7; pretty good ride.
Will not spoil it for others.
Ka is a wheel.
Enjoy.

Cooper
12-05-2004, 13:14
just finished (like ten minutes ago) DT7 . . . holy crap . . .

i'd love to see a 3-movie series, directed by Peter Jackson. Hugh Jackman as Roland, if Eastwood isn't up for it. Edward Norton as Eddie. maybe Halle Berry as Susannah.

man . . . i'm still reeling from that ending . . .

G33
12-06-2004, 22:56
^c ;f