heel spurs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : heel spurs

Peevee
09-05-2004, 15:57
Is anyone familiar with heel spurs? When I get up in the mornings my right foot is really tight and takes a while to loosen up where I can stand on it. My doctor diagnosed it as a heel spur and prescribed VIOXX for it once a day. It helps a little but the pain and tightness is still there.
I would like to hear from someone else that has this or overcome this because it sure put a damper on my fitness regimen.

live-free-r-die
09-05-2004, 17:59
I would go to a good physcial therapist, CHEK Practitioner or NASM CES.

You dont have heel spurs from a lack of Vioxx in your diet.

You can find a CHEK Practitioner at www.chekinstitute.com

Eyespy
09-05-2004, 18:18
Originally posted by Peevee
Is anyone familiar with heel spurs? When I get up in the mornings my right foot is really tight and takes a while to loosen up where I can stand on it. My doctor diagnosed it as a heel spur and prescribed VIOXX for it once a day. It helps a little but the pain and tightness is still there.
I would like to hear from someone else that has this or overcome this because it sure put a damper on my fitness regimen.

The majority of heel spurs, or infracalcaneal exostoses are inconsequential. The pain is unrelated to the presence or absence of a spur, and is 99% of the time the result of a condition known as plantar fasciitis. The last thing you need is a physical therapist. Go see a doctor of podiatric medicine, and discuss the option of funtional orthotic devices, and a plantar fascial night splint. About 95% of plantat fasciitis injuries are resolved conservatively with the above combination. Anti-inflammatory meds may or may not be a useful adjunct. The doctor will be able to make this determination based on your response or lack thereof to the threatment. Most cases are associated with a chronic traction (pulling) injury to the insertion of the plantar fascia (a strong ligament that helps with normal foot function) to the bottom of the heel bone, and typically results in pain and stiffness/tightness to the foot/heel/arch upon arising in the AM or upon resumption of weightbearing after a period of non-weightbearing during the daytime. This occurance is known as post-static dyskenesia and is almost diagnostic of plantar fasciitis. Most such cases of "traction enthesitis" are further linked to an abnormal pronation function of the foot, often subtle to moderate, and the podiatrist will be the most qualified to evaluate and treat this.

live-free-r-die
09-06-2004, 00:49
Originally posted by Eyespy
The majority of heel spurs, or infracalcaneal exostoses are inconsequential. The pain is unrelated to the presence or absence of a spur, and is 99% of the time the result of a condition known as plantar fasciitis. The last thing you need is a physical therapist. Go see a doctor of podiatric medicine, and discuss the option of funtional orthotic devices, and a plantar fascial night splint. About 95% of plantat fasciitis injuries are resolved conservatively with the above combination. Anti-inflammatory meds may or may not be a useful adjunct. The doctor will be able to make this determination based on your response or lack thereof to the threatment. Most cases are associated with a chronic traction (pulling) injury to the insertion of the plantar fascia (a strong ligament that helps with normal foot function) to the bottom of the heel bone, and typically results in pain and stiffness/tightness to the foot/heel/arch upon arising in the AM or upon resumption of weightbearing after a period of non-weightbearing during the daytime. This occurance is known as post-static dyskenesia and is almost diagnostic of plantar fasciitis. Most such cases of "traction enthesitis" are further linked to an abnormal pronation function of the foot, often subtle to moderate, and the podiatrist will be the most qualified to evaluate and treat this.

Guess what the night splint does? Stretches your calf.
Guess what orthotics do? Artificially correct what is usually a muscular imbalance of the lower leg. Orthotics are only needed if there is a structural problem. This is the case in only about 5% of the cases where orthotics are prescribed.

If doctors were car mechanics they would bend your frame to try and correct you wheel alignment.

You can treat the symptoms or you can treat the problem, the choice is yours.

glk40s&w
09-06-2004, 19:49
From my painful experience...It started out as my heel hurting when i got up then after walking alittle bit loosening up..Then after about a year I woke up one morning and could not put any weight on it at all..toughed it out for a couple of days then went to the doctor..doc says heel spurs..keeps getting worse and worse..finally doc takes blood and checks for uric acid levels..sure as ***** uric acid level high and i had gout...gout is more common in older people..however i'm only 24 and had it..changed diet alittle and took anti-inflamatory medicine such as--aleve--haven't had any problems since...

Jim in MI
09-08-2004, 14:11
Well,

Stretching the calf is the best thing you can do for plantar fascitis, which is probably what you have, as heel spurs don't hurt in the morning. Eyespe is probably a podiatrist, as I've never met an MD or DO that knows that much about feet.

I can't stand doctors that diagnose "heel spur" every time they take an x ray.

Orthotics are only for structural problems? News to me.

A physical therapist can find a muscle imbalance in 100% of all patients. You will need to go 3 times a week until your insurance benefits end.

A podiatrist can find a biomechanical problem in 100% of all patients.

A chiropracter can....you get the message.

Search "plantar fascitis" and go from there. If arch supports, stretching, ice, anti-inflammatory meds, supportive shoes, ect don't help after 4 to 6 weeks, consider PT. 95% of my patients get better from just doing what I wrote at the beginning of this paragraph.