Press? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Press?

California Jack
09-06-2004, 19:42
Pressing is by far my worst lift. Progress has always been slow in it. I'd like to think it has something to do with breaking my humerus playing high school football, but that's just a punk excuse. My modest goal pressing is bodyweight. Right now I'm at 75% of bodyweight. I curious, in terms of bodyweight, how much do you press? It doesn't necessarily matter if it is a strict heels together military press. After all, I press with a staggered stance. The only restriction should be no hip or leg drive and only a minimum of back bend. So, no push presses or olympic-style presses.

So, in terms of body weight, how much do you press?

Jack

live-free-r-die
09-06-2004, 23:01
75% of your body weight is pretty good.

I only do presses with DB's as a bar does not alow the shoulder to go through a natural range of motion.

Often time the cause of poor pressing strength is inhabition from tight lat's. Try stretching your lats prior to each press set and see if it helps.

California Jack
09-07-2004, 11:32
Interesting live-free. I'll try lat stretching, but I'm not sure how. Is hangining from a bar appropriate?

As far as 75% of being ok, well, it may be. I do know that the old Hoffman Gold-Silver-Bronze Standards say that about 90% of BW is the bronze standard for the press. Like I said, BW is my goal. At 44 though, it may be tough,

Thanks again,
Jack

KraziGlocker
09-07-2004, 15:20
i do a seated military press of 145lb for bout 6-8 reps....i weigh 187...i think my presses are slow to grow too....do u have any rotator cuff excercises u recommend? my shoulder has been hurting a little lately and im sure its from lack of hitting some muscles inside the shoulder

FreakyBig
09-07-2004, 16:49
Originally posted by KraziGlocker
i do a seated military press of 145lb for bout 6-8 reps....i weigh 187...i think my presses are slow to grow too....do u have any rotator cuff excercises u recommend? my shoulder has been hurting a little lately and im sure its from lack of hitting some muscles inside the shoulder

75 - 80% of your bodyweight is a good number for reps. I'm about 270 now, and I am doing 6-8 reps with about 235 or 110lb dumbells.