Do you read magazines? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you read magazines?

Glockgirl26
09-08-2004, 07:34
What kinds of magazines does everyone like to read? I like Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement and Combat Handguns. On a different level, I like Cosmo and Better Homes and Gardens. Depends on my mood at the moment.

Bill Powell
09-08-2004, 07:39
I've read everything from Mad to New Yorker, and of the two, I like Rod and Custom best.

younggenious
09-08-2004, 20:31
The New American (http://www.thenewamerican.com/) , MotorTrend, and Consumer Reports are the main ones. Occasionally I'll pick up some gun magazines, or some other sports magazines (i.e. snowboarding, 4x4 offroad, etc.)

kfoley
09-08-2004, 23:03
I have a subscription to Chevy Hi Performance, so I read that every month. Once in a while I'll pick up a chevy rag or a gun rag (usually combat handguns). Sometime I'll leaf through Men's Health since my dad get it, but that's about it for me.

milkdud
09-09-2004, 08:39
I subscribe to a number of gun mags: I like American Handgunner and GUNS best of those. I read different types of mags in the doctor's office, but especially COSMO if it's there to keep up to date on what the other side is up to!;)

cheesebiscuit
09-09-2004, 08:58
national geographic
smithsonian

9jeeps
09-16-2004, 19:05
More than I can list. Always have, always will. We keep a tally on a small white board of expiration dates as well as shifting around different magazines. We don't watch much pay per view nor go out to those places. Don't do newspapers...too biased. Just news,science & history on the tv. Through magazines we usually know where living is headed far ahead most of our friends who do no magazine reading.

Our magazine subscriptions vary from Homesteading to religion to space to Whatever. I'll admit to my favorite entertainment magazines are the gun rags and automotive trash. Try to stay away from the political biased like Time, Newsweek, et.al.

We pass our old magazines off to friends in the boonies or poor folks who can't afford em or just friends who have an interest in one thing or another. A favorite of most friends is Handyman or Mother Earth or Farm Show because of all their "how to", articles.

So why do you Ask? Glockgirl26;)

Roundeyesamurai
09-17-2004, 00:53
I don't subscribe to any magazines, but I do buy a number of them depending on whether they appeal to me at the newsstand or not.

I rarely buy gun magazines, because every time I do, I end up saying to myself, "I paid $5.00 for THIS???". Prior to the internet, they were a (reasonably) valuable source of information, but nowadays, you can pretty much find whatever you like right here.

Same with martial arts magazines. I used to get Black Belt, Inside Karate, etc, every month, but nowadays, I end up saying "I paid $7.00 for THIS???".

As an example of what I DO buy, in the last few months, I've bought an issue of Scientific American, Psychology Today, Playboy, Muscle & Fitness, and Cigar Aficionado.

Like I said, it all depends on what appeals to me LOL.

Alexii
09-17-2004, 06:54
Subscribed this year to SWAT Magazine. Not sorry so far. Louis Awerbuck's column is worth one-half of the subscription price for me.

9jeeps
09-17-2004, 17:34
;) Little tip. When you go to the mag. rack, most of those rags have big savings coupons that usually fall to the floor when you're glancing thru them. Sometimes as much as 60% off single issue price. You and I know the store is not going to slap you if you pick up a coupon or two of your favorite for a subscription. I too used the mag. racks at the local stores and still do. But have saved lots of bucks by subscribing to my fav.'s.

My Barber shop loves the car and gun mags. The doctors office likes the girlie, home fixit stuff. Have a good time and good shopping. It's nice to see other people also indulge in the information print media. You're right, Samurai, the I-net is taking a lot of their business.

tlrbud
09-17-2004, 20:44
My membership with the NRA includes a subscription to American Rifleman which makes the annual dues a bargain. I also have subscriptions to Gun List, Motorcyclist, and Peterson's Photographic. Sometimes they are so cheap, I have to get the subscription. I regularly read a variety of other magazines at the local public library. I have actually dropped subscriptions to magazines that I can read at the library.

Bud

geminicricket
09-17-2004, 21:17
My subscriptions are:
Scientific American,
National Geographic (life),
Wilson Quarterly (life),
Chess Life (life),
American Rifleman (life),
Foreign Affairs (just subscribed from a fund-raiser).

I also read my wife's Reader's Digest.

PoiDog
09-20-2004, 13:18
Let's see, subs are American Rifleman, Shotgun News, Popular Communications, QST, Maximum PC, and strangely enough, Reader's Digest.

Newstand: Backwoods Home, assorted gun rags occasionally for the reasons mentioned above, COINage, Computer Shopper, Handloader, Home Shop Machinist once in a while.

I read MUCH more than I watch tv, most times I don't even have it on. My wife on the other hand, loves tv. To each their own I guess.

TwinGlock40s
09-20-2004, 21:53
Right now I have a subscription to:
US News
ESPN the Magazine
Time
GQ
BHG
Sports Illustrated

Now that I think about it, I should probably start saving some money, huh?

Glockgirl26
09-21-2004, 11:49
I ask out of simple curiosity. I am an avid reader, just want to find out what everyone else likes to read. Call it being nosy if you want, I enjoy interacting with others of similar interests.

Thanks for your replies!

MrMurphy
09-21-2004, 17:20
I buy SWAT, occasionally GWLE. Sometimes Special Weapons For Military & Police (it's not regularly produced) and any of the Surefire magazines.

Renaissance magazine, and Star Wars Insider.

gabriel999
09-21-2004, 17:24
I suscribe to:
Maxim
FHM
American Handgunner
Sporting Clays Magazine
Esquire
Rolling Stone

norton
09-24-2004, 16:05
I am an NRA and NMLRA member, so I get American Rifleman (much improved) and Muzzle Blasts monthly.
I generally buy Small Arms Review, Gun World, Shooting Times and a few other gun rags.
I used to be an almost fanatical motorcycle bike rag reader. Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Rider, and the now defunct Cycle and Cycle Guide magazines.
I also occasionally buy magazines on The Civil War, and WW2 aircraft and ships.
I also subscribe to Wood Magazine.
I love a good magazine rack. Give me plenty of rags to choose from and a coffee shop thrown in and I'm in magazine heaven.