Pics and thoughts... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pics and thoughts...

Hauptmann6
09-08-2004, 11:56
Well using a borrowed camera I took some pics at the ALMS race at Mosport last month. I may have talked my way into a press pass next year :)

Any suggestions on how to improve the pics? Many of them are a little grainy and I am not sure if that is a film problem or a camera lens trouble. I used Kodak 400speed with a Minolta SLR with a high speed setting. And a 200mm lens.

I am looking at buying a decent camera if I can swing it for next year. Something under 1k with lens, cheaper if possible.
I would like to do it as a semi pro type hobby.

This years
http://racing.cfsipgames.com/

Last year
http://racing.cfsipgames.com/mosport03/ (just a few, many of the good ones didn't get uploaded)

General Sherman
09-08-2004, 14:39
Any grain came from the film or the processing, not the lens.

I would have used a longer lens for some of the shots. A zoom 80 to 300 would have been better for composition from a fixed vantage point. I would have used a tripod if possible to eliminate camera shake and increase sharpness.

Remember to pan with the moving cars.
And anticipate the shots like around a curve ("corner" in race terms) and over a rise.

Also I would have used the ISO 400 premium film from Kodak (I forget what they call it now, maybe Ultra). It gives less grain but costs more.

It will not be easy to find a complete outfit for under $1000 but it probably can be done by using a good but less costly lens such as a Sigma.

Hauptmann6
09-08-2004, 16:14
I found a roll that was left over, 400 Max. And the lens was the only one I had(not my camera, I definitly want more glass when I get one.

I was doing the panning thing as well, but I didn't have a monopod(tripod wouldn't work there)

Ok, at least it isn't totaly me... lol I was afraid of the camera $$$ I will probaly look for a used one.

scowan007
09-09-2004, 11:28
Personal preference. I'd slow down the shutter speed a bit to show motion. Very nice pics.

Hauptmann6
09-09-2004, 11:44
Wish I could, the camera has 2 settings, normal and high speed...

Glock Bob
09-13-2004, 11:42
If you're more of an advanced photographer (eg you know how to use shutter speed and f-stop to manipulate the image you want), I'd suggest the Minolta Maxxum 7. Body only, it's around $400, which is about $300 to $400 cheaper than it was just a few years ago.