Kitten tested positivie for FIV [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kitten tested positivie for FIV

The Pontificator
09-08-2004, 18:25
Picabo kitten came down with diarreah and started vomiting Saturday afternoon. Took her to the vet first thing Tuesday morning.

In addition to x-rays, IV fluid replenishment and antibiotics the vet asked me if they could do a blood work-up.

Tests came back today. She has tested positive for FIV.

I am very upset.

Vet says she needs to be re-tested when she's 6 months old. Many kittens are exposed to FIV antibodies during birth but never develop the disease. I'm praying she doesn't.

I'm really bummed out about this.

engineer151515
09-08-2004, 19:09
I'm sorry to hear about that. Seems that babies can contract from the mother but, as you say, those young systems fight it.

;w

ATL Peach Girl
09-09-2004, 04:27
I am hoping that this little girl can beat this, and be ok at 6 months of age. Ponti loves those 2 Tuxedo rascals of his, and takes great care of them, and he has an adult cat that is FIV negative and so he has double worries with this.......

I am trying to understand WHY FIV Neg. cats who have been vaccinated against FIV can NOT be around FIV Pos. cats??? I thought the vaccine was a protection against it. Is it not that effective??? I know cats spread FIV thru saliva and being around each other and thru the birth process to their kittens........

I have seen positive cats in shelters and they are caged away from other cats that are negative.......

Miss Kitty?? why is it that basically you can not have FIV Pos cats with neg cats?? Even when the neg cats have been vaccinated??? Anyone know??????

I am trying to understand this.

I wrote to Ponti and told him positive kitties can lead normal long lives, but he can't get any other cats unless they are positive for FIV.......

This little girl will pull thru this I think.........all will be ok.

Ducman
09-09-2004, 09:00
I have 2 kittens that tested positive for FIV, they will be retested this month, hopefully they will be negative. My fiance and I were fostering them for a local shelter. If we return them, they will be put down. We will keep them if they are positive and try to find a home if the are negative.

We also a cat that is negative, we keep them seperated at all time, the Neg. one stays in the bedroom and goes outside thru a window. the Pos. one get to run around the rest of the house but don't go outside. I have read that FIV will only spread thry direct bites to the bloodstream and will not affect other animals of humans if they are bit. Out cat has been vacinated, but I'm not sure of the affectiveness of it

Good luck I hope your cat test Negative

MrsKitty
09-09-2004, 10:46
Originally posted by ATL Peach Girl
Miss Kitty?? why is it that basically you can not have FIV Pos cats with neg cats?? Even when the neg cats have been vaccinated??? Anyone know??????

I am trying to understand this.

I have never understood that either? Isn't the point of a vaccination to PREVENT FIV? If your kitty has been vaccinated, (s)he should be safe, at least that is what it would leave you to think.

I found this at http://www.kittencare.com/askKC_FIV.html

So how do you treat an FIV-infected kitty?

Avoid stressing kitty.
Provide kitty with love and care, give him plenty of fluids and good nutrition.
Keep an infected kitty indoors so as to protect them, as well as to protect other cats.
Keep infected kitties segregated from other cats in the house
Have your vet treat the symptoms of whatever diseases, infections or other health problems develop as a result of the disease.

Mainly you need to keep the kitties seperated and avoid stressing them out is what I am seeing on several websites. It sounds like Picabo can still live for years so this is not automatically a death sentence.

Also, HAVE PICABO RETESTED! False-positive tests are very common.

Hang in there Ponti!!

gotpitbull
09-09-2004, 13:56
I plead ignorance, but what is FIV?

And I do echo the other comments, I hope she gets better

MrsKitty
09-09-2004, 14:42
Originally posted by gotpitbull
I plead ignorance, but what is FIV?

I ripped this off from a website:

Feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) causes an infectious disease in domestic cats and cheetahs similar to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV infection) in humans. It attacks and weakens the body?s immune system, making the animal susceptible to infections and diseases that don't affect healthy cats.

Screaming .357G
09-09-2004, 20:57
Pontificator,
Please contact me as my GF treats a cat we have with FeLV and its not the exact same but VERY similar in treatments etc.
If anyone else has any FIV/FeLV questions feel free to email us at...

ANZAJAGUAR@AOL.COM or Schulzautomotive@Hotmail.com and we will get back to you.
We have had to learn the hard way on how to treat etc and our cat is doing very well for 2 years now. She was supposed to die at 6 months according to the vet.

Check out our kitty at WWW.geocities.com/anzajaguar

BTW Pontificator I think we live realitvly close to each other as we live in Wingate/Monroe NC area.
If anyone needs any help please contact us.

ATL Peach Girl
09-09-2004, 22:49
yeah, all this is so damned unfair....Ponti's been such a good dad to these 2 tuxedos and was so happy to get them, but to be told this is just a blow.......

Kinda like when Josh died....I was sickened.....you don't want your pets to be ill.

I think Ponti's kitten will soon test negative......by the looks of the articles it says most kittens testing positive were passed the positive trait thru their mothers and then seem to either outgrow it and their own immunity beats it........

Miss Maggie
09-09-2004, 23:32
Picabo Kitty is precious. She kind of reminds me of neighbor's cat that hangs around our house a lot.

Even with people, sometimes the first tests come back positive, but on follow-up testing, the problems do not show up. Sometimes, it could be a mistake or maybe the problem just goes away. It very well can be the same with pet testing. I hope this happens with your kitty and next test comes back good. As happy as she looks sitting on that desk, I bet she is your number one typing buddy.

Screaming .357G
09-12-2004, 00:28
Hey guys this is Akirakitten Screaming's GF

Just thought I would get on here and offer some help if the anyone needs it. FIV is very similar to FeLV or Feline Leukemia Virus. Both are immuno deficiancy retro virus', meaning the virus actually attacks the genetic structure of the cat, becoming near immpossible to get rid of....but as far as test results go there are several different way's they can go

1. false positive -- test is bad, kitten/cat has been exposed but may be in the incubation period during which it cna fight it off, kitten is giving off antibodies from the mother, and may not actually have it at all. ONLY IN FIV--the cat may have been given the FIV vaccination which is a live virus vaccination..and instead of preventing it the vaccination actually caused a virus takeover, OR sometimes a cat that is given teh vaccination WILL test positive but not really have the virus

2. false negative -- kitten/cat has the virus sequestered in the bone marrow or other organs and it will not show up on a regualr snap test (in house, ELISA). BUT it may show up on either an IFA or a PCR test. Cat/kitten has been exposed to the virus but it hasnt been long enough for the virus to show up in the blood stream.

ALL test results should be confirmed by another test 90 days from the original test, IF AND ONLY IF both results are the same is it safe to say for 95% certianty it is positive or negative. Even still some cats may hide the virus in tissues that do not shed to the blood stream untill enviromental factors "activate" the virus..such as stress, illness, etc... The ELISA or snap test is commonly known to be unreliable and should ALWAYS IMO be followed up with an IFA test.

FIV cats can easily mix with FIV negative cats...vaccinated or not..AS LONG AS...there is no violence in the group...FIV is usually transmitted via DEEP PUNCTURE WOUNDS where saliva or other bodily fluids are "injected" into the other animal...ie..fighting and breeding...

FeLV is more easily transmitted, while also transmitted via bodily fluids it is much hardier in wet enviroments and can be more easily spread with grooming, sharing litter boxes, food and water....etc....HOWEVER FeLV+ and FELV- cats can live togeather IF and only IF the FeLV- kitties are vaccinated..FeLV vaccination is NOT a live virus vaccination..therefore it CAN NOT give the kitty the virus..as in the FIV vaccination..the FeLV vaccination also has a 99% effectiveness rate. We have 1 FeLV girl and 2 FeLV- kitties...no one has caught it yet...as well as hundreds of other people I know whoo mixe positives and negatives of both virus's....

If any one has any questions or would like any more info feel free to email me at anzajaguar@aol.com

also check out Akira's site for lots of great links and info..mainly on FeLV BUT like I said both virus's are so similar its istn funny....FIV is actually harder to transmit and easier to live with than FeLV so while it is nasty...its not that bad once under control....

ATL Peach Girl
09-13-2004, 03:04
Wow!!! Thanks a million Screaming for all that info!!!!!!!

I learned alot from it.....thanks!! ;c

That will help Ponti too......