Keeping Motivated [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Motivated

Grey Wolf
09-09-2004, 18:04
Hey all,

I am coming in a little late, but finally found this forum on GT. Thanks Eric, I think this, for one, will be a good addition here on GT.

I always like to hear other people reasons that keep them motivated in their workouts. Some say cause they want to look good nekkid, others because they want to live healthy for along time.

For me I do it to stay in shape, reduce stress, and be strong enough to survive any thing that I may encounter while at work (I'm a cop) to ensure I make it home every night.

So... what keeps you working out?

Stay safe and train hard.

Grey Wolf

California Jack
09-09-2004, 20:53
The big picture is too sty healthy and strong so I can have an active retirement.

But more recently I got a motivational boost from my 10 year old son. On a Cub Scout campout there was a obstacle course. I was a bit startled when only one of the eight or nine 10 year olds could climb the rope. That one, of course, had to use his feet. My six year old was tagging along on the trip. To try to motivate the kids to trying harder I teased them a little by telling them my 6 yearold could climb the rope. He climbed it, of course using his feet. I told the 10 year olds they needed more exercise saying they shouldn't allow themselves to be out done physically by a six year old. Of course the scouts started saying I needed to put my money where my mouth is. I told them climbing a rope is easy and that I could do it without using my feet. I was unsure of this because at the time I hadn't done any rope climbing or pullups in 15 years. Well, they finally egged me on, and to my surprise I climbed the rope easily without using my feet. Now the cool part was when I neared the top of the rope I could hear my sons yelling "THAT'S OUR DAD, THAT"S OUR DAD" repeatedly and in unison.

I got a lot of joy out of that. And when I draggin' arse in the weight room or don't want to get out of bed to run, I think of that, and usually get in a good work.

Jack

git_r_dun0405
09-09-2004, 23:57
Big Bellys.

actionpup
09-10-2004, 20:47
When I was MUCH younger I worked out six days a week for three hours a day. There was one reason...to look good nekkid.

I have recently begun working out again and it is for several reasons. First...improved health. Second...I am looking at a possible commission in the Army Reserves and need to improve my strength and endurance. Third...I want to look good nekkid again!

I have lost 15lbs in the few weeks and have another ten I want to lose. While my wife says she likes me nekkid regardless of how much I weigh, I haven't liked what I look like nekkid since I was in grad school many moons ago.

AlB
09-11-2004, 23:25
I workout mainly for the competition of it. To get faster. I like doing running races and triathlons, but I was a cop several years ago and it all tied in together. While not the strongest guy, I knew my endurance would allow me to outlast anybody I went up against. I knew that if I was in a foot pursuit, when I caught the guy, I would always have enough energy left to make the arrest.

BCR
09-12-2004, 03:27
I workout so I can out run the local cops. 3 times a week I do sprints cradling a TV and then 2 miles on the local track with a DVD player under each arm. I turn my ski mask around backwards so it's like I'm running at night. ;)

Just kidding, I couldn't resist!

FreakyBig
09-12-2004, 12:48
What keeps me motivated is the sick desire I have to look like a freak of nature and see children cower behind their mothers' legs as I walk by.

Seriously though, the only motivation you need is repetition. If you go for an extended period of time working out hard five days a week it becomes part of your lifestyle and the guilt will set in if you even skip one workout. The only time I have a problem with motivation is when I am comming back from taking a period of time off due to an injury or sickness.

SouthernGal
09-18-2004, 09:53
My biggest motivation is getting back into the clothes I wore when I was a junior in college--12 years ago. I put on a pair of my favorite jeans from then last week, and they're a little big for me now. Personally, I hate the new "styles" that are out for women these days.

The girl down the street from me also has interesting motives for exercise. She and I have been running. She pushes her two kids, ages 2 and 4 months in one of those "carts" that has bicycle wheels on it. When she has to slow down for me, her oldest one will tell her to "RUN!!" so that the wind will hit his face and cool him down.

I'd cuss that kid if he was mine :D

Glock13
09-29-2004, 17:40
Originally posted by FreakyBig

Seriously though, the only motivation you need is repetition. If you go for an extended period of time working out hard five days a week it becomes part of your lifestyle and the guilt will set in if you even skip one workout. The only time I have a problem with motivation is when I am comming back from taking a period of time off due to an injury or sickness.

I'd agree with that. You hear a lot of people who give you the old line "When I was in high school I benched 300 lbs. and only weighed 135 lbs". And I'm standing there looking at their meatless chest and gut sticking out of their Dockers. You obviously weren't working out that hard if you quit that easily. I realize as people get older priorities change and things happen. However, I have been working out for about 9 years and my biggest fear is a freak accident or something that prevents me from working out. Sure, when I have a kid I may have to tone it down a bit (until they can lift with me at least). However, I will never stop working out. The feeling after a good pump is enough to keep me going.

Central Texan
10-02-2004, 21:07
My motivation is a simple one.
If I fail a PT test, I dont get promoted.