Anybody play WWIIonline? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody play WWIIonline?

Glock23
09-11-2004, 10:52
Just wondering if anyone here plays WWIIonline? If not check it out. www.wwiionline.com

MrMurphy
09-11-2004, 11:11
Interesting..... is the gameplay better or worse than Battlefield 1942? I mean..... how do you capture stuff? is it CTF type, or realistic?

Fingolfin
09-13-2004, 00:23
Check out the site. It's like a FPS "simulation" type game. Persistent world servers, ongoing battles that can last a looong time. If they would take that game, update the graphics and simplify the gameplay a bit it would really take off.

It's a lot slower than BF 1942 to answer that question.

Hauptmann6
09-14-2004, 21:32
The reason the graphics are the way they are, is that 3 gig machines with a gig of ram have a hard time runnig the game with detail turned up as it is. You are dealing with a HUGE amount of poeple and all balistics are calcuated unlike almost any other shooter.

And simplify gameplay? no idea how you do that without turning it into quake.

As to better/worse than BF42. BF 42 is Quake with WW2 skins/weapons. WW2OL is a simulation. Things take time. You never know where someone is coming from ect. One night I was a rifleman and walked about 2 hours, took 5 shots and killed 5 enemy. It took another hour to make it back to freindly territory. All the while spotting for freindly aircraft and making sure high command knew were the tank collum was headed.

Glock 23 what is your ingame name? I am Haupt I run with the 88th Gebirgsjager in the 13mid. I am currently unsubbed due to needed a new comp. Our forums are at www.cfsipgames.com drop in and say hi. We have quite a few allies hanging around as well(Chaps Squad).

MrMurphy
09-14-2004, 22:41
I've heard the lag is insane.

Hauptmann6
09-15-2004, 14:45
Actualy it's not. Yes there are a few problems. But it's setup to be more tolerant than most shooters. And it is playable on a 26.6 dialup.

Glock23
09-15-2004, 16:13
Hauptmann6,
Ingame name is Hardba11. No longer have a squad to hang w/ due to them all going their seperate ways. I'm looking for a new squad, playing as a merc is not really as much fun as playing w/ a group of guys. I play German most of the time. I'm in neeed of a new PC, hopefully I'll get one before this fall. I'll check out your site thx.

Glock23
09-15-2004, 16:31
Hauptmann6, I signed up at your site but deleted the confirmation email before I registered. Is there a way you could send it again? Thx in advance.

Hauptmann6
09-15-2004, 17:58
I activated your account. Just go there and do the forgot password(after replying to post or logging in).

Fingolfin
09-16-2004, 00:36
Originally posted by Hauptmann6
The reason the graphics are the way they are, is that 3 gig machines with a gig of ram have a hard time runnig the game with detail turned up as it is. You are dealing with a HUGE amount of poeple and all balistics are calcuated unlike almost any other shooter.

I don't see how that's an excuse for having graphics that outdated. Ever play PlanetSide?

Hauptmann6
09-16-2004, 08:53
They would lose over half of their subscriber base? people have had to upgrade 2-3 times already to play the game. They try to stretch the upgrade cycle as long as they can, as not everyone can afford a top of the line computer every year(or want to)

And IIRC the planetside map is 10-20 times smaller than the WW2ol map. There are no zones ect.

http://www.tgpo.net/images/fun/SwgCompareBig.jpg

That puts objects in the millions... They are working at redesigning the graphics engine as well. And for a company with maybe 20 employees it's not a super fast process.