Help with exercise form [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with exercise form

Grey Wolf
09-11-2004, 22:30
Hey guys,

I have a question, I realized last night that I may be doing thbe Lat Pulldown wrong.

I understand that you pull the bar to your chest (i.e. not behind your head) but do not know correct form. Should you stay upright, keeping back starught during the rep or should you lean back slightly?

Also would a BB or DB pull over be a better work out? Or would it be best to rootate to work the muscles from different angles?

thnks for helping out a FNG.

Stay safe

Grey Wolf

live-free-r-die
09-12-2004, 00:31
Grey Wolf,

When doing the lat pull down it is acceptable to be vertical or slightly leaned back, just donít over arch your low back. Pull the bar down between you collar bone and nipple line; be sure to squeeze your shoulder blades as you pull.

The pull over is a good exercise but it will not add the functional strength that a lat pull down will. The other issue is that most people donít have enough flexibility to do the exercise correctly; either the shoulder is too tight which causes damage to the joint capsule or the hip flexors are too tight and the low back is put under a large shear force. If you do have the flexibility I recommend doing the exercise over a swiss ball. The ball allows better range of motion as well as supports the head so you donít develop FHP (Forward Head Posture).

The king of all back exercises is the pull-up. There is nothing that will add size and strength like a good old fashion pull-up.

Grey Wolf
09-12-2004, 02:35
OK thanks for the help.

I tried the pullover tonight, and your are right, it was almost impossible for me to keep a good form,.. so I just switched over to the pulldown.

Good info, Thanks again

Grey Wolf

FreakyBig
09-12-2004, 12:54
I'll agree with live-free-r-die there. Concentrate on pulling down with your elbows and squeeze your lats throught the movement. The best thing you can do is flip through some muscle mags sometime and look for a description of the exercise. It always helps to see pictures.

ProfMoriarty
10-02-2004, 21:56
The pull-over is mainly an isolation exercise for the serratus anterior muscles.

ProfMoriarty
10-02-2004, 22:00
Originally posted by live-free-r-die

The king of all back exercises is the pull-up. There is nothing that will add size and strength like a good old fashion pull-up.

This is true as long as by pull-up you are referring to wide grip overhand pull ups and not close grip underhand pullups which work the biceps far more than the lats.