Missing DD-214 For Dads Funeral [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Missing DD-214 For Dads Funeral

trapfan
09-13-2004, 22:26
My Dad passed away yesterday and I am in a pickle. I can not find his DD-214 anywhere. In the family bible I have his service number,dates he went in and came out, all his schooling, where he was stationed in Germany along with his company commanders name. I need this document as I want him to have military honors for his viewing and funeral on Friday. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks....Trapfan

magsnubby
09-13-2004, 22:32
trap,
My condolences on the loss of your father.

Try the nearest VFW. They've helped me in the past.

Also try your local VA hospital. Some of them have vet reps that can be pretty helpful.

jwalk2515
09-14-2004, 15:26
also try contacting a recruiter with his SSN. They may be able to look him up in the system and pass along the info that he was valid until you can find 214

CarlosDJackal
09-14-2004, 19:58
Go to the closest VA, they may have a copy of it (I filed a copy with them when I ETS'd). Or ata the very least they may be able to retrieve it. Make sure that you bring any records of his military service and his SSN. The VA was a PIA to deal with (slow as molasses), but they were able to help us.

Good luck!!

John's 26
09-21-2004, 13:23
First, my condolences on the passing of your father ;?

I also wanted to advise my fellow veterans to RECORD your DD-214 with your county recorders office. This way, no matter what happens to the original document, there is always an official copy readily accessable...