Need help with armidillo. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with armidillo.

tiva
09-14-2004, 11:03
The last five nights in a row I have been woken up by my dog barking at as armidillo. I do live in the country so I could shoot it if I wanted to but being the animal liker(can't love something that wakes me up at 3:00 am) that I am I would like to catch it some how and transport it a couple miles from my house. I don't want to spend any money or go out of my way to get a special trap. So I would appreciate any help. If I can't get any good ideas I'll just have to go the lethal route. Thank you to anyone that can help.:soap:

Petra
09-14-2004, 12:46
Go to your local feed store. Ask them if they sell Coyote (Predator) urine. Don't get a big bottle because a little bit of this stuff goes a long way. DO NOT OPEN THIS INSIDE! Once you get a whiff of this stuff you will understand why.

With disposable rubber gloves on, put a small amount on a paper towel and just rub on the trash cans and on things around the area that the Armadillo frequents. You can also poor small amounts at various places around your yard. Think of how a dog marks it's territory.

Basically what you're doing is trying to use the Armadillo's natural instinct to avoid pretators to get it to stay away from your place. I've used this method to get rid of some Opossums that were making my dogs nuts. Then I had to share with the neighbors to get the possums out of their yards.:) Give it a try. If it doesn't work, then you can try getting a trap from your local animal control or if all else fails;I .

Mark

tiva
09-14-2004, 13:27
Thank you very much that sounds like the easiest way. Kind of gross but easy.;g

Vic303
09-20-2004, 07:50
Tiva, you don't want to trap/touch an armadillo. They really are a vector for leprosy.

noway
09-20-2004, 08:14
If you want to trap it it would be very difficult. I work as a armadillo relocator with an nuisance animal trapper in a NW suburb housing community of dallas, one year as a teen. We caught and killed quite a few.

The best traps where hand dug pits bait with grubs bait. Coon traps and other similiar items did not work. The dillo is kinda smart and will not go into them. The dug pit was approximately 3-4ft with 1ft shoring at bottom and the walls have to be dug straight down. Once the dillo stumbles into it, he will not beable to borrow out or get out of it. You just check them in the morning and relocate them. Not to discourage but if the coyotoe urine don't keep them at bay and you do trap them, you will probably catch more frogs and turtles ( assuming you have them in your area ) vrs dillos. ;f

As far as leprosy, I handle a few 100s with and with out gloves and haven't obtained leprosy as of yet.