Fitness Walking [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Walking

DonGlock26
09-15-2004, 17:27
Anyone use long walks to keep their weight down? I need to get back on the wagon(weight's up again). It is time consuming, but it's easier on the joints. I usually walk on a treadmill in the evening while watching the T.V. for 3 miles(1hr/ 5-6 X wk). Once in a while, I'll walk 4.5 miles outside for a change of pace. Unfortunately, I don't have any hills near me. The nearest nature trail is 3 miles away. :( Let's hear about your fitness walking plan,ideas, goals,ect.;F

Don

Vic303
09-16-2004, 06:52
No hills here either in DFW...but you can get a good walk around the subdivisions. Good sidewalks, and a chance to get out and make sure nothing odd is going on in the neighborhood. Sometimes one even meets the neighbors! Buy a pedometer for your outdoors walks. Consider walking with a small backpack/daypack with weight in it.

DonGlock26
09-16-2004, 12:11
The Backpack sounds like a good idea.^c

Thanks,

Don

SouthernGal
09-18-2004, 09:49
My father had back surgery 3 years ago for an ailment that was causing his entire right hand side to go numb. After the surgery, his doctor told him he needed to take the weight off, and he started walking anywhere from 2-5 miles a day.

Last week dad wore what might possibly be the ugliest shirt I've ever seen. He and mom got it in Hawaii in 1981 and it has fish on it. He'd been too fat to wear it all this time. My dad, btw, is 62.

DonGlock26
09-18-2004, 19:33
Originally posted by SouthernGal
My father had back surgery 3 years ago for an ailment that was causing his entire right hand side to go numb. After the surgery, his doctor told him he needed to take the weight off, and he started walking anywhere from 2-5 miles a day.

Last week dad wore what might possibly be the ugliest shirt I've ever seen. He and mom got it in Hawaii in 1981 and it has fish on it. He'd been too fat to wear it all this time. My dad, btw, is 62.

Great story! Thanks.^c