"The Dark Elf Trilogy" by R.A. Salvatore [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "The Dark Elf Trilogy" by R.A. Salvatore

DonGlock26
09-15-2004, 18:06
If you are a Tolkien/ LOTR fan, you might like this book as much as I did. This is the story of a Good Dark Elf and his struggle to avoid the evil nature of his people. R.A. Salvatore tells a good story and he's written a ton of books, too.

Enjoy,

Don

wprebeck
09-17-2004, 10:33
Don't stop with just that trilogy, if you like Drizzt. There are numerous more books with Bruenor, Regis, Wulfgar, Cattie-Brie, and Drizzt, including The Icewind Dale Trilogy. All told, there's probably about 12-15 books featuring him.

MrMurphy
09-17-2004, 10:38
I couldn't get into the drizzt books.

mhambi
09-17-2004, 10:47
You started without me! ;)

Pretty good books. Makes you think a little about your perceptions of religion, morality, identity.

Good Stuff

mhambi-featuring a 'Drizzt' sig line

DonGlock26
09-17-2004, 21:09
I've pretty much read them all. I read a chapter at night before bed. I'm waiting for "The Two Swords" due out in OCT.2004.^5

wprebeck
09-17-2004, 21:09
Mhambi,

I thought the quote sounded familiar, but couldn't place it. I'm guessing, albeit probably wrong, but it sounds like something from the Legacy/Starless Night series (can't remember series title), or from the new "Thousand Orcs" series. Which one?

glockster96
09-18-2004, 16:07
Originally posted by wprebeck
Mhambi,

I thought the quote sounded familiar, but couldn't place it. I'm guessing, albeit probably wrong, but it sounds like something from the Legacy/Starless Night series (can't remember series title), or from the new "Thousand Orcs" series. Which one?

Hee hee hee....mhambi and I already had this discussion via PM.

I have read and own all of the Dark Elf books. I liked them. :)

Fans might also check out "The War of the Spider Queen", also from Wizards of the Coast.

wprebeck
09-19-2004, 16:33
Just got done with book IV, "Extinction" of the aforementioned series. It was decent enough, although they're getting a bit more...descriptive with things in the new series. What with all the gore, and then the whole girl/girl thing, it's a bit weird.

So, where's the quote from?

;g

mhambi
09-20-2004, 07:50
Originally posted by wprebeck

So, where's the quote from?

;g

Exile - Book 2/Dark Elf Trilogy.

http://www.cybergoth.force9.co.uk/loneliness.htm

:)

Timber Wolf
09-20-2004, 15:45
Originally posted by Donglock26
If you are a Tolkien/ LOTR fan, you might like this book as much as I did. This is the story of a Good Dark Elf and his struggle to avoid the evil nature of his people. R.A. Salvatore tells a good story and he's written a ton of books, too.

Enjoy,

Don

So what's the first book in the series? SO I can narrow down my search.

My library catalog shows 51 items for an R. A. Salvatore, it looks like he (or is it she??) did the book adaptation for SW II: Attack of the Clones. Also, is Salvatore closer to JRRT, or to Terry Brokks' Shannara series??

glockster96
09-20-2004, 20:06
Dark Elf Trilogy:

Homeland
Exile
Sojourn

Several more after that, if interested I can list them all in order.

DonGlock26
09-20-2004, 20:17
Originally posted by Timber Wolf
So what's the first book in the series? SO I can narrow down my search.

My library catalog shows 51 items for an R. A. Salvatore, it looks like he (or is it she??) did the book adaptation for SW II: Attack of the Clones. Also, is Salvatore closer to JRRT, or to Terry Brokks' Shannara series??

I would rank R.A. Salvatore as MUCH better than Brooks. R.A. Salvatore's speciality is close quarter battle with melee weapons.;f There are well over a dozen of these novels.

The publisher(Wizards of the Coast)combined several of the novels into Trilogies(4). The first Trilogy was called "The Icewind Dale Trilogy". The second Trilogy(The Dark Elf Trilogy)goes back in time to the main character's birth and escape from the Underworld, where his race of evil dark elves(drow) come from. I started with the Dark elf trilogy, and I'm glad I did because, it was in chronological order. Another advantage to buying the trilogies is that they are cheaper and larger than the paperbacks. So, I highly recommend you start with "The Dark Elf Trilogy". Salvatore paints a very "colorful" world engulfed in total darkness. In the Icewind Dale books, the main character "Drizzit" is on the surface dealing with the immediate hate, anyone who sees him, feels towards his race. I hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786915889/qid=1095732942/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/103-9135743-8251005?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Enjoy,

Don

Timber Wolf
09-20-2004, 20:40
Found 'em, thanks. I asked about Brooks, 'cause a friend of mine from college had liked the Shea Shannara series, and I picked up the first book and trudged my way through it. Didn't like it a whole bunch, defintely not enough to read anymore of Brooks.

DonGlock26
09-21-2004, 08:14
Originally posted by Timber Wolf
Found 'em, thanks. I asked about Brooks, 'cause a friend of mine from college had liked the Shea Shannara series, and I picked up the first book and trudged my way through it. Didn't like it a whole bunch, defintely not enough to read anymore of Brooks.

I agree 110%! I think you'll enjoy Salvatore.;c

Brasso
10-18-2004, 17:43
Hey DonGlock26,

I went to 6 different book stores today, new and used, and no one had the "Homeland". Think you could email it to me one painstakingly hand-typed chapter at a time. ;f

DonGlock26
10-18-2004, 20:55
Originally posted by Brasso
Hey DonGlock26,

I went to 6 different book stores today, new and used, and no one had the "Homeland". Think you could email it to me one painstakingly hand-typed chapter at a time. ;f

Funny you posted here! I saw your "Shannara" thread and I thought about mentioning "The Dark Elf Trilogy".;f

It's a really good series. I'm shocked to hear you can't find one. They are all over the Borders and Barnes&Nobels in Michigan and Florida. Try ordering it through your library or Amazon. I've had nothing but good luck buying used books on-line.

The latest Dritzz(the dark elf) book is due in bookstores on 10-19. It's called "The Two Swords". Ya, I'm a fan.

Good Luck,

Don

mrstang01
10-19-2004, 08:37
Also check half.com, I've gotten good deals there.

Michael

Brasso
10-20-2004, 06:32
Believe it or not, after checking 3 Books a Million, 1 Barnes and Noble, and 3 used bookstores, I found the thing at WalMart yesterday. I finished it last night. It's a good read, although a bit short. I'll try and find the others today, but I get the feeling that all 3 books could have been put into one.

Vic303
10-20-2004, 07:10
Check out Dennis McKiernan's works on Mithgar. He's got a dozen or so books out on Mithgar. Well done, and pay gentle homage to LOTR, but stand on their own well.

DonGlock26
10-20-2004, 17:58
Thanks for the tip! The latest Dark Elf book just hit the market. "The Two Swords" I have to finish a few books, before I'll start reading it.

DonGlock26
10-22-2004, 10:12
Believe it or not, after checking 3 Books a Million, 1 Barnes and Noble, and 3 used bookstores, I found the thing at WalMart yesterday. I finished it last night. It's a good read, although a bit short. I'll try and find the others today, but I get the feeling that all 3 books could have been put into one.

I'm glad you found it. I really like these books. When I'm finished, I'll move on to something else. The LOTR movies reminded me of my childhood love of fantasy books.:)

Brasso
10-22-2004, 17:17
So which books come after the Dark Elf Trilogy?

DonGlock26
10-23-2004, 08:45
So which books come after the Dark Elf Trilogy?

Just to make sure we are on the same sheet of paper, The Dark Elf Trilogy is 3 books combined (homeland,Exile,and Sojourn). If you read all three, then read the "Icewind Dale Trilogy" made up of 3 books(The Crystal Shard,Streams of Silver,and The Halfing's gem).

Hungary for more after that? There are two more trilogys- "Legacy of the Drow and Paths of Darkness(both contain several books).

Then, the latest series is the not yet availible as a trilogy. The books are: The thousands Orcs, the Lone Drow, and The Two Swords(just released in hardcover 30%off at Borders.

Also, The Cleric's Quintet is a multi-book novel about a related story of a cleric and his friends. It starts slow, but as the Cleric becomes more powerful, the adventure grows.

Enjoy,

Don