V65 Magna [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : V65 Magna

Mgdell
09-20-2004, 22:37
I just got an 83 V65 Magna.

That thing is VERY fast. I'm impressed. I rode over on an 883 sportster so the big 1100 V4 was a bit more then I'm used to. I will get used to it :)

winglock
09-24-2004, 21:05
I say congrats, thats still a heck of a bike. Rode one in 83 and wow was it fast then. Still is.

ClickClickBoom
09-27-2004, 14:57
Friend of mine has a V65 Saber, those engines make great power. Be warned, once you go V4, ya never go back. ;f

fastvfr
10-01-2004, 14:55
Clickclickboom, you are so right! The V4 fever has no cure...

My fast-as-greased-lighning, 110HP 1985 V65 Saber caught fire on me one fine fall day five years ago, while I was doing 20 MPH down a city street a mile or so from my home.

As I rode along, just about to grab clutch for the stop sign ahead, I felt the odd sensation of my left buttcheek getting much warmer than the right cheek!

I look down (back in my stupid, no-helmet days) and what do I see but FLAMES and a LOT of black smoke belching out from between the left sidepanel and the seat!!!

Now, you have to realize, this motorcycle was my absolutely favorite thing in the whole world, so needless to say I was just FREEKIN'!!

I pulled over next to the stop sign, where a recent rain had left a puddle, and unassed the quickly-catching seat. The left sidepanel was beginning to MELT and was FOLDING IN ON ITSELF in the most heartbreaking diplays of motorized seppuku I had ever been forced to watch.

Picture this scene....a big white guy with a blackened asscheek, parked ankle-deep in a mud puddle, cussing like a sailor and desperately throwing water on his Honda's flaming innards with cupped hands while the entire neighborhood stands watching! I tried to keep the swearing to a minimum, but....hey, gimme a break, all right?! I did my stint in the Navy AND a I drove truck for years. My best attempt at not cussing probably isn't so good...

The water made lots of steam but did nothing at all to slow the flames. By this time the seat was toast and there was a good chance that the gas tank was about to cook off. Just as I gave up and stood back, a fella comes running over with a chemical extinguisher. Pressurized yellow crap to the rescue.

I was so pissed I pushed my still-smoking, 500+ pound, now-yellow-and-blue bike the mile and a half back to my house, where my GF got her first look, post-immolation.

We cried. But it wasn't a total loss...once they decided I hadn't torched it on purpose, the insurance check got me my first VFR. I sprung for the new Levi's.

PROOF that the V4 fever has no cure!! I'll risk burnin' my bisquits before I switch!! BWAAAA-HAAA-HAAHAHAHAHA!!!

Best regards,

FastVFR

PS. Hope you have better luck with yours! Check the rectifier's heatsink. That's what mine was traced to, and is a pretty common failure, from what the dealer told me.

ClickClickBoom
10-02-2004, 12:17
Yeah, some of those early Honda's had some electrical gremlin's (Friend of mine with a VF700 Sabres had them all), but the engine is bullet proof, so that's easily overlooked.

V4s, in my humble opinion are probably the best all around engines ever wedged between two wheels. They have crushing low end torque and unlike a lot of other 'Big' displacement engines, will wind out to 5 figures worth of RPMs. Their only real downfall is that they are fairly heavy and complex, but that's a small price to pay for the power finding it's way to the Dunlop. ;f

micah
10-17-2004, 01:14
I had a V65 Sabre. Fast enough for what it was, but no match for a Vmax, and about 200lbs heavier than it should have been. Also, the motor was poorly designed. Aparently getting oil to the cams was not a high priority....and shaft drive? WTF?!

redwinger
11-09-2004, 11:16
With 110 HP on tap,you can afford the slight power loss inherited when you replace the chain drive with a shaft drive.Beside,the shaft is stronger and will certainly out last several chain and sprocket changes.Like i said with that kinda power ....so whatand yes the yamaha mad max is the bomb,but its not like the honda VEE isnt also awsumly powerful.

micah
11-12-2004, 21:05
It was okay, certainly not what I would call awesome power though. 110hp is may be enough for you to be willing to sacrifice some hp and add some weight, but it's not something I was too thrilled about.
The only V4 I ever played with that was really fun (and VERY cool!) was the RC45, and I can't afford one.

pirate01
11-13-2004, 21:32
IT IS AN 1982 AND IT WILL ROCK AND ROLL,STILL WITH 29,000 MILES ON IT.RIDE ON SAFELY.DAVE