Car or Back up Gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Car or Back up Gun

jjserv
09-23-2004, 22:24
Hi BOGs! I would appreciate if you could share your preferences or recommendations for a new back-up or car gun. Also, would you trade portability vs stopping power for a pistol acquired for this purpose?

Sorry if this query has been posted before. Thanks in advance.

Alexii
09-23-2004, 22:36
Julius! Welcome back pre, tagal mo nawala, ah.;f

Car gun? I'd go for a high cap 9mm loaded with FMJs. The rationale for this is you have to consider shooting through glass from the inside of your vehicle. You'd want your bullets to have minimal deflection when hitting the glass first prior to hitting the intended targets.

jundeleon
09-23-2004, 22:41
Car gun:

CZ 75, fmj in hi cap mag
Glock 34, fmj in hi cap mag

jjserv
09-23-2004, 22:46
Thanks Alexii. Yeah, been very busy but I still lurk every now and then. Nawala? Di naman. I joined last month's get together at West Ave. QC. Sayang you were'nt there.

Actually, I now have the G19. Kinda looking for different caliber. (smaller or bigger?) na very compact. Something that you could just slip in between the car seats.

Any recommendation?

:)

mikey177
09-23-2004, 23:08
jjserv,

When asking for a recommendation about something, it is now customary to use this smiley: ;z (joke only)

I think the G19 would be well suited for car gun duty. I hesitate to recommend anything more compact because as we know, the shorter the barrel becomes, the more velocity is lost. I for one would want to have substantial ooomph behind my bullet, especially if it has to go through glass or metal before hitting an adversary.

Maybe we could expand Doc Eye Cutter's ballistic tests to cover two guns in the same caliber but with different barrel lengths. Now, who among the BoGs is willing to donate a motor vehicle for our testing :)

julianz
09-23-2004, 23:16
why dont we do a fund raiser for a car door -chop chop dami sa capalangan pampanga.

antediluvianist
09-24-2004, 00:41
Well, there is that story that the .357 magnum was invented to allow police to shoot through car doors and hit gangsters inside. So, if it is likely that shooting will have to be attempted against another car, why not a .357 4inch revolver?

batangueno
09-24-2004, 01:01
From the story you told me last time, you definitely need a car gun. :)

I suggest a small taurus revolver which you can leave inside the car and not worry about it.

mc_oliver
09-24-2004, 01:46
Car gun?

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/images/M4/SOPMOD%20M4.jpg

julianz
09-24-2004, 02:23
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Car gun?

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/images/M4/SOPMOD%20M4.jpg

MC_O what car do you have a hummer or a humvee ;f

tried to PM you re: videos puno and box mo sir.

jjserv
09-24-2004, 03:46
Originally posted by batangueno
From the story you told me last time, you definitely need a car gun. :)

I suggest a small taurus revolver which you can leave inside the car and not worry about it.

Yes Paul, partly. I wanna have a piece at home and another on the car. Too many crazy people out there na. :cool:

protozo1
09-24-2004, 03:49
GLOCK 29.

mikey177
09-24-2004, 04:05
Yes, a reliable revolver would also be a suitable choice for a car gun. Also, if ever I were in a car accident (God forbid) and the car gun gets thrown around the cabin, I would feel more comfortable if it had a heavy DA trigger or some sort of external safety... since you mentioned that you might just be sticking it between the car seats and not in any dedeicated car holster.

Also, try to assess what maximum barrel length you could deal with given the internal dimensions of your vehicle. Imagine (or, if you have a sample on hand, try it after unloading the gun) drawing the gun from concealment and pointing it at imagined threats at different areas around your car. Is the barrel too long that it snags on the steering wheel, seat bottom or other car parts? If so, then you may have to do with something with a shorter barrel, or get a bigger car :)

Vault Keeper
09-24-2004, 04:14
Sir, since its a car gun, concealment is not an issue, I'd go for the full size version of whatever pistol you prefer. And preferably high capacity.... my opinion only.

Regards:)

rhino465
09-24-2004, 04:27
Originally posted by Alexii
Car gun? I'd go for a high cap 9mm loaded with FMJs. The rationale for this is you have to consider shooting through glass from the inside of your vehicle. You'd want your bullets to have minimal deflection when hitting the glass first prior to hitting the intended targets.

Actually, modern jacketed hollow points will penetrate auto glass much better than FMJ. You want something like a Speer Gold Dot that won't shed its jacket as it passes through the glass, though.

flyboy 1
09-24-2004, 04:34
Pareng Julius,

I'm pretty sure your Glock 19 will fill-in the role of "car gun" quite nicely. With all the possible crazy scenarious you might encounter on the road, a 9mm Hi-Cap feels very reassuring.

jjserv
09-24-2004, 05:48
Hi John:

Pare thanks again. I havent finished the videos yet as I compete with my daughters on the TV/Player. Nevertheless, I have seen some and they're great. Yeah, lets meet sometime there in Pasig. I have my No. Client located -- BDO. Im there almost 2x a week.

Wala bang beer session for the BOGs soon?

;Y

Eye Cutter
09-24-2004, 06:19
http://www.taurususa.com/imagesMain/H_851SS2UL.jpg

http://www.taurususa.com/imagesMain/H_605CHB2C.jpg

New_comer
09-24-2004, 06:28
I'd choose a large stainless steel revolver, 357 magnum 6 shot with at least 4-6" long cannon. SW686, Tracker, GP100, Manurhin will just about do it. Something like this...

http://www.taurususa.com/imagesMain/H_627SS4.jpg

I'd like to see my target look at me like this ;P when he realizes the size of the gun that's about to send him to his maker...

I may end up permanently hearing impaired though... ;)

flyboy 1
09-24-2004, 06:38
Originally posted by jjserv

Wala bang beer session for the BOGs soon? ;Y

Paging Deenoh and company!!! (lalo na yung mga taga Pasig / Q.C. area) ^1 ^1 ^1

9MX
09-24-2004, 09:10
Originally posted by flyboy 1
Paging Deenoh and company!!! (lalo na yung mga taga Pasig / Q.C. area) ^1 ^1 ^1

aba'y i-set nyo na!;)

jundeleon
09-24-2004, 15:41
San tayo?
Choices:

1. Gigolo
2. Macho
3. Chicos
4. 690 - default inuman venue of BOGs daw

chowchow
01-16-2007, 22:49
Norinco 54 in 7.62 x 25 tokarev at 1600 fps, halos ma penetrate yung engine block nang diesel surplus. Kung magroad rage man lang. Bubutasan at tutulo ng langis . Goodbye na ang toyota hi lux.

chocoboy
01-17-2007, 00:05
Originally posted by Alexii
Julius! Welcome back pre, tagal mo nawala, ah.;f

Based on d video Keiser posted in another thread... 9mm tends to deflect more compared to heavier bullets like .40 and .45...

try to watch d videos... niratrat nila yung kotse with different ammos...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

Kaiser Soze
02-15-2007, 09:11
I don't think you'd want a gun in your car sir...daming legal issues to thresh out, plus there's the chance that someone will steal your car's contents (including firearm) or the entire car itself...

PTC na lang, keep your unit on you, not in the car.

ilocano
02-15-2007, 09:36
Ditto on the revolvers or anything with DAO triggers.

Have been in two very close encounters. One in san andres in manila, and one along mcarthur hiway in dau. I must admit- just the thought of killing someone made me quite nervous that time as i know i could end up in jail after.

My hands were shaking when I pointed my gun to the live target. But they ended up running for their lives- so, that i guess was a blessing.

What if it was a SA with a light trigger pull. AD could be a possibility right?