Helmet ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Helmet ?

Mgdell
09-23-2004, 22:51
Hi,

I'm looking for a good full face helmet. I bought a cheap one at the Local Miejer's store ( like wal*mart ) but first time I used it the sheild flew off... So any suggestions on brand name / model?

I'm looking at a Bell but not sure of the model..

Thanks!

-Mike

Eyespy
09-23-2004, 22:58
My helmet preferences, in order:

1) Shoei X11, XS-PII
2) Suomy Spec 1-R Extreme
3) Arai RX7

You really have to try on the various helmets to make sure you get one that is shaped well for your mellon and that is the right size. Arai no longer permits internet sales. FOr helpful on-line details, check out www.helmetharbor.com

BikerRN
09-24-2004, 11:30
Try Nolan or HJC full face helmets. Buy your helmet at a proper motorcycle store, not Wallyworld. Any good motorcycle shop will be able to fit you for a helmet. Most people buy their helmets too loose.

Good luck.

MikeG22
09-24-2004, 18:58
I'm loving my Shoei RF1000. Bell normally doesn't make much in the way of motorcycle helmets so I'd stick with a Shoei or Arai if you have the cash. They are truly the best. Of cheaper models HJC's are decent.

Whatever you do find it at a local shop and try it on first. You want it to be tight, ask a salesperson for assistance. You want it to feel really snug though not on any pressure points. Moving the helmet up/down from the front should move the skin on your forhead. Don't worry about it being tight, it will loosen/fit to your face after a little while.

Once you have one that fits comfortably (don't be afraid to put the helmet on in the shop and just sit there with it on for 15 minutes or so to make sure it's not gonna be hurting you later.

bassman-dan
09-24-2004, 19:30
Generally speaking, you will get what you pay for.
For about $100 you can get an entry level HJC DOT approved FF helmet.
By spending more you can get a helmet that is lighter and is also Snell approved- a higher level of protection.
You should also try to get one with a removable liner so that you can take it out and wask it when it starts getting funky.
I would also recommend that you purchase one in some color other than basic black. A brighter color will make you much more visible to cagers.

D25
09-24-2004, 20:11
Good advice has been given so far. Like the others, I like my HJC, but I love my Shoei. Also, like brassman-dan said, bright helmets do seem to get the cagers attention. I am almost to the point of getting a lime green or safety orange helmet.

Eyespy
09-24-2004, 21:24
Originally posted by D25
Good advice has been given so far. Like the others, I like my HJC, but I love my Shoei. Also, like brassman-dan said, bright helmets do seem to get the cagers attention. I am almost to the point of getting a lime green or safety orange helmet.

Always, under all circumstances, assume the impending motorist does not see you, the rider, as most of the time, this is the correct assumption, and always ride accordingly.

RoyG
09-25-2004, 08:54
Try Motorcycle SuperStore (http://www.motorcyclesuperstore.com/). Checkout their closeouts

BikerGoddess
09-25-2004, 09:34
Only spend as much on your helmet as your head is worth to you. If you can't afford a decent helmet, you don't need to be riding.

Watch for sales, but don't get a helmet that's too old. The lining that actually protects you in the event of a crash can become brittle or compacted with age. I'm planning to replace mine next riding season, since it's over 3 years old.

Way I figure it, my head is worth more than $100/year to me.

Laura

Eyespy
09-25-2004, 09:43
Originally posted by BikerGoddess
Only spend as much on your helmet as your head is worth to you.

Laura

As well intentioned as this advise is, it is inaccurate. The implication is that as the helmet purchase price increases, so does the level of protection it provides. I'm sorry, but that is simply untrue.

RBR
09-25-2004, 11:19
Any similar helmet that meets the same Snell/DOT standards will give the same level of protection. What you are paying extra for are better graphics, lining materials, comfort, features(venting etc.) and name brand recognition.

I wear an Arai Quantum F (with earplugs). I've always loved their helmets for fit/comfort and features. They don't sell online anymore but you can sometimes find great deals online (ebay). I saved $250.00 off MSRP on mine from a guy selling a closed stores inventory. But make sure that it is not a knock-off. HJC makes decent helmets for the price. Tried Shoei but just didn't fit my skull.

This chart (click on different manufactures on the side bar) may help.

http://www.motorhelmets.com/htm-service/sizingchart-helmet-table.htm

BikerGoddess
09-25-2004, 20:05
Originally posted by Eyespy
As well intentioned as this advise is, it is inaccurate. The implication is that as the helmet purchase price increases, so does the level of protection it provides. I'm sorry, but that is simply untrue. It's not a linear scale, to be sure, but a $50 helmet isn't going to hold up as well as a $200 helmet.

I wouldn't wear a DOT only helmet.

YMMV

Laura

Eyespy
09-25-2004, 20:18
Originally posted by BikerGoddess
It's not a linear scale, to be sure, but a $50 helmet isn't going to hold up as well as a $200 helmet.

I wouldn't wear a DOT only helmet.

YMMV

Laura

I don't wear a DOT only hemet either. But the fact is that there is no relation between protection level and helmet retail cost. It's not simply that there is a non-linear scale, it's that there is no such scale at all. Every Snell 2000 certified helmet meets the same crash protection standard, whether it be a lower end basic model such as a $99 HJC, or a top of the line model $660 Shoei X-11. In fact, the scale you continually assert is so non-existant, that you'd be better off with that $99 HJC than you woulf be with the $200 DOT. There are numerous examples of this in the industry. I am not attacking or criticizing you, it's that I have been doing this a long time and I just want to make sure that accurate information is disseminated. :)

Disclaimer: I am not personally affilliated with any helmet manufacturer or distributor.

potatoho
09-25-2004, 20:39
Originally posted by Mgdell
I'm looking for a good full face helmet.
What type of riding; street, dirt etc?

45acp4me
09-25-2004, 20:41
The HJC AC10 and AC11's are Snell rated lightweight and pretty quiet at speed. The liner is removeable for cleaning and you can change shields without tools. They run about $160 last time I looked. My AC-10 has been great.

Regards,
Glen

Eyespy
09-25-2004, 20:45
Other than choosing a quality Snell Foundation rated, non-expired hemet, the single most important element in helmet safety is choosing the one that fits properly.

potatoho
09-25-2004, 20:49
I always wondered about the strap fasteners. I have an HJC helmet with a d-ring buckle, and then I also have an Airoh Tyger helmet which has a seat-belt like tongue buckle. I sure like the latter one better. Isn't a d-ring safer though?

Eyespy
09-25-2004, 20:52
Originally posted by potatoho
I always wondered about the strap fasteners. I have an HJC helmet with a d-ring buckle, and then I also have an Airoh Tyger helmet which has a seat-belt like tongue buckle. I sure like the latter one better. Isn't a d-ring safer though?

The simpler D-Ring strap design is safer and more reliable. There are instances of crash failure of some quick-release strap buckle designs. In CA for instance, only the D-Ring strap design satisfies CA DOT regulations for use on CA hwys.

jim c
09-27-2004, 23:04

Texas T
10-01-2004, 21:22
Other than choosing a quality Snell Foundation rated, non-expired hemet,
I guess I've been out of the riding world for too long...
expired helmets? A little help here please. :)

Rexzilla
10-01-2004, 21:43
Shoei always seemed to small for my fat head. They seem to be made for "narrow heads". The HJC are a good value as already mentioned, but I would go with one of their higher line models. Also invest in some leathers if you can scrap the funds...avoiding a case of "road rash" is money well spent. It does not matter how great a rider you are there is always some nut with no insurance who will cut you off. I use to be an insurance broker...bikers don't do well against little ole ladies in land yachts.

skorpio
10-01-2004, 22:10
Shoei: some of the best, quietest helmets made.
Arai: as good or better quality as Shoei, just not as quiet.
AGV: good enough for the current MotoGP champ!
Shark: Foggy loved 'em.
Suomy: B Bostrom loves 'em.
Vemar: haven't held one yet, but looks good from here.
HJC: pretty fair copy of a Shoei. Kinda noisy.
KBC: fair copy of HJC

I own/have owned HJC, Shoei, and Arai. Currently own 2 Shoei's: RF800 (Grey) and RF900 DuHammel replica (red).

For a good explanation of how helmets will fit you, try Arai's website. They give a good dexcription of the differences in heads from different cultures, i.e. Asian, Anglo, ect. and why they offer different models in different areas.

WERA49
10-02-2004, 09:59
Make sure that you consider head shape. Arai makes three different shapes, long, intermediate and round oval. Those helmets are Signets, Astrals and Quantums.

I'm very happy with my Arai Quantum F. :)

Eyespy
10-02-2004, 21:30
Originally posted by Texas T
I guess I've been out of the riding world for too long...
expired helmets? A little help here please. :)

An undamaged helmet has a lifespan of 5 years.

Texas T
10-03-2004, 23:40
An undamaged helmet has a lifespan of 5 years. And what happens at that point... does its ability to deflect injury decrease? Why?

MikeG22
10-04-2004, 17:31
Yep, the interior just isn't as able to disperse energy as time goes on as well as it would new. Most everyone I ride with changes helmets every 2 years or so.

Also be careful with them, a fall from it just sitting on your seat is enough to weaken it even though the outer shell looks ok.

Black Snowman
10-11-2004, 15:17
KBC is a good value that hasn't been mentioned. Already meets higher european standards that require random spot checks of each batch and not just one sample like DOT and SNELL. Sized slightly larger than other brands a medium Wolf fit me perfect where other brands med were too small and larges too loose.

Mid range price $150-250 depending on model and features.

Fit and finish, possibly airflow, on an Aria, Shoei, etc . . . WILL be nicer, but I doubt the protection will be much better.

Rinspeed
11-05-2004, 10:54
Save your money and buy an Arai Signet. They are the best helmet on the market. You won't be disappointed.

Rinspeed