Layout [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Layout

RWBlue01
09-24-2004, 20:12
Anyone know where I can find a movie script?

I know how to structure books, but not a movie.
How different is the layout of a movie script vs. say a play?
Is there more setting of the scene?
Do I have to think about camera angles?

BreakerDave
09-24-2004, 22:11
You should check out Lew Hunter's books on Screenwriting.

Drew's Script-O-Rama has a bunch of scripts online to look at. Follow this link:

http://www.script-o-rama.com/snazzy/dircut.html

Movie scripts are similar in some respects to scripts for plays; however there is usually a lot more action in a screenplay. Do not get hung up on camera directions. That is generally the director's choice. Directors hate being directed from the page by a writer. If there is a specific effect or shot you want, it is okay to write it, just try to be sparing in your use of these. Also try to avoid excessive use of parentheticals for your actors. Actors hate being told how to deliver all of their lines.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is a fair bit of difference between screenplays and the actual shooting script. Shooting scripts may have considerably more detail in regards to sets, costume, props, and action (ie: a fight that has been choreographed). For a screenplay, keep your descriptions of action or sets brief and concise. -Only go into serious detail, if it is important to the character or the story.

Good luck-