The Elk Hunter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Elk Hunter

Bill Powell
09-25-2004, 17:18
Right after the Second World War my dad's friend came home with a pocket full of mustering out pay and the ongoing urge to kill something.

Elk season was just around the corner, so he bought himself a new pick-um-up truck, a palomino horse, a saddle, a horse trailer, and a brand new straight shootin rifle.

First morning of elk season he was up on the Mogollon Rim, by the city of Young. A mighty hunter he was, stealthy, and a recently trained military scout. Straight away he decided that any fool can chase down an elk on a horse. It was time to do some stalking.

He tied the horse to a tree, and starts working his way down the hill, through the trees, chasing a sound he'd heard. Just as his Daniel Boone ambitions were wearing pretty thin he saw movement through the underbrush.

Elk are sort of tan, right? BLAM. So is a palomino horse.

When he got to his target, right there, about two inches in front of the cinch strap, he'd drilled that horse through and through.

He stripped the saddle, drove to town, sold the saddle and trailer, and aint been back in the woods since.

this one is a true story...........bill

I ran this april 2002, but there are new people..........

Dennis in MA
09-25-2004, 18:06
I missed it in 2002. Thanks. ;z ;z ;z

vafish
09-25-2004, 20:16
He didn't gut it and tag it?

okie
09-26-2004, 09:06
That is classic Bill;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

Bill Powell
09-26-2004, 09:21
He worked with my dad at the copper mine. As an older man he still moaned about that horse, and still did not realize how easy it would have been to avoid.

Short Cut
09-26-2004, 09:27
Probably should have had his horse wear a horsey blaze orange vest. ;f

Bill Powell
05-29-2013, 12:11
I last submitted this in 2004 Right after the Second World War my dad's friend came home with a pocket full of mustering out pay and the ongoing urge to kill something.

Elk season was just around the corner, so he bought himself a new pick-um-up truck, a palomino horse, a saddle, a horse trailer, and a brand new straight shootin rifle.

First morning of elk season he was up on the Mogollon Rim, by the city of Young. A mighty hunter he was, stealthy, and a recently trained military scout. Straight away he decided that any fool can chase down an elk on a horse. It was time to do some stalking.

He tied the horse to a tree, and starts working his way down the hill, through the trees, chasing a sound he'd heard. Just as his Daniel Boone ambitions were wearing pretty thin he saw movement through the underbrush.

Elk are sort of tan, right? BLAM. So is a palomino horse.

When he got to his target, right there, about two inches in front of the cinch strap, he'd drilled that horse through and through.

He stripped the saddle, drove to town, sold the saddle and trailer, and aint been back in the woods since.

this one is a true story...........bill

I ran this april 2002, but there are new people..........

Hondo341
06-03-2013, 00:40
Was it horse season?

Bill Powell
06-11-2013, 08:42
It was for that horse.