Shooting at SM Fairview [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shooting at SM Fairview

jjserv
09-26-2004, 23:00
Hi Bogs:

Just want to share an experience that may influence how we view security in Manila at present.

Last night at 7pm (Sept 26), I was at SM Fairview with the wife when I observed a commotion near the main entrance of the Dept Store. People -- shoppers with kids/salesladies/guards, where all wide-eyed and in panic mode. People were running back and forth -- nobody knew what was happening or where to go. Picture yourself in this situation with your wife and kids with you...

The guards stood helpless and didnt know how to react. I asked myself is this a robbery/holdup, an amock running wild, or a bomb scare? Is there a "Beslan" happening now? I just pulled my wife near a large pillar and observed. We left the mall 15 minutes later without knowing what had happened. All through 10-minute trip home, I justified the need for a new 1911...

As I found out the following morning, a top ranking Ex-ABB leader (Arturo Tabarra) and his companion were gunned down near the main mall entrance.

This incident makes me think twice whether to bring the kids along when shopping. It would have been a traumatic experience for them had they been there with us. :( :( :(

agentrod
09-27-2004, 00:32
Situations like that would really test how to react properly. Its a good thing you remained calm, unlike most of the other people who may have joined the sampede without knowing what is causing it, not knowing if they may be placing themselves more in harms way.

Yes, times are getting bad. Now I feel the need to carry my piece in condition 1 unlike before I just carry without a round in the chamber.

batangueno
09-27-2004, 00:38
Originally posted by jjserv
All through 10-minute trip home, I justified the need for a new 1911... Ikaw naman, matagal mo na balak yan eh. ;f

Great to hear that you're ok. :)

mikey177
09-27-2004, 05:23
Glad to hear that you're okay, jjserv, and that you maintained your composure in spite of the chaotic situation you were in.

Many people let their guard down when they are at the mall because of the mistaken notion that no harm can come to them in a "public place" in front of dozens of witnesses. Let us not be caught unaware, BoGs... lets stay on our toes, even in, or especially in public places.

P.S.

I too dislike going to the mall with the kids, especially during those dizzying 3-day sale events.

9MX
09-27-2004, 09:22
jjserv,

so are you from novaliches too? i grew up in the area, zabarte subd. to be exact. moved to pasig when i got married last year. glad your ok;)

bagito
09-27-2004, 11:15
Originally posted by 9MX
jjserv,

so are you from novaliches too? i grew up in the area, zabarte subd. to be exact. moved to pasig when i got married last year. glad your ok;)

neighbors pala tayo, got also my unit from that area. be safe:)

jjserv
09-27-2004, 19:56
Originally posted by mikey177
Glad to hear that you're okay, jjserv, and that you maintained your composure in spite of the chaotic situation you were in.

Many people let their guard down when they are at the mall because of the mistaken notion that no harm can come to them in a "public place" in front of dozens of witnesses. Let us not be caught unaware, BoGs... lets stay on our toes, even in, or especially in public places.

P.S.

I too dislike going to the mall with the kids, especially during those dizzying 3-day sale events.

Paul, Mikey, Bagito, Agentrod: Thanks guys. Actually no real threat for me. Just the disappointment that I will be writing-off SM as a place to bring my kids during weekends.

Bagito: Actually, I stay in Fairview. SM is the nearest, better mall around that area. Hope to see you soon at one of our BOG meetings.

Paul: OO nga. The wife didnt even question the additional "investment" on a 1911 after the incident. :) :)

bagito
09-27-2004, 20:15
Originally posted by jjserv
Paul, Mikey, Bagito, Agentrod: Thanks guys. Actually no real threat for me. Just the disappointment that I will be writing-off SM as a place to bring my kids during weekends.

Bagito: Actually, I stay in Fairview. SM is the nearest, better mall around that area. Hope to see you soon at one of our BOG meetings.

Paul: OO nga. The wife didnt even question the additional "investment" on a 1911 after the incident. :) :)

next time bring your family sa robinsons nova naman. there is also a gunshop at the third floor tools trading, sis company of twinpines. hope to meet u soon and all other bogs. :)

9MX
09-30-2004, 08:09
Originally posted by bagito
neighbors pala tayo, got also my unit from that area. be safe:)

zabarte ka din? which street?

attyjpl
09-30-2004, 08:32
the perps who gunned down tabara are well trained in such operation. they don't waste bullets and usually pump one or two slugs into their intended target, specifically in the head. most of them also use .45's which they have obtained from military personnel whom they killed in battle. and most of all, they make it sure that innocent civilians don't get caught in the crossfire. bad publicity kasi yun and they don't want to worsen their already dwindling popularity.

of course, it's better to be safe than sorry :)

bagito
09-30-2004, 09:19
Originally posted by 9MX
zabarte ka din? which street?

deparo sir.