Typical ammo budget for IPSC? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Typical ammo budget for IPSC?

horge
09-30-2004, 03:39
Practical shooters out there...

Just wondering.
Not so much a budget in terms of cash,
but in terms of ammo quantity used up
in practice and in competition, over, say,
a year. Also, whether factory ammo or reloads
are used.

:)
Thanks.

doctabako
09-30-2004, 05:01
Own Club's Monthly Club shoots roughly 100 x 12 months = 1200 rounds
Other Club's shoots and invites roughly 100 x 12 shoots = 1200 rounds

PPSA competitions from 80-200 rounds depending on the Level
I've only attended 7 in the past year.
roughly 140 x 7 matches= 980 rounds

Practice? Club Shoots and Matches are usually the only time I can shoot with my schedule. There are of course occassional forays(quickies ;f) to the range to shoot a mag or 2 to relieve boredom so roughly 500 rounds. That would make it about 3,880 rounds a year give or take a 200-300 rounds. This of course doesn't include practice with my other non-comp guns and automatic rifles.

I'm sure this is miniscule compared to the number of rounds some of the other practical shooting BOGs consume in a year as we see that some attend from 2-3 Matches in a month in addition to their club shoots and practice 2-3 times a week but this is what my schedule can handle without adversely affecting my other responsibilities.

In practical shooting, its almost a given to use reloads almost exclusively to bring down the cost. Aside from this, factory loads are usually loaded to near maximum pressures and are high up in the power factor charts making them difficult to shoot fast and accurately.:)

mc_oliver
09-30-2004, 05:04
The rest of the BOG's who regularly competes probably are firing a lot more (average per week) and losing brass even more. ;)

Dati nung binata ako (or malapit na ikasal at marami'ng ipon ;f) halos nakaka 300 rounds a week at dry fire gabi-gabi. Practice on Sat tapos club match on Sun, the time na marami pa club match at hiwalay matches ng IPSC at IDPA.

Currently, I try to keep practice at 100 rounds a week dahil kapos na budget. Last weekend's practice taught me how tiring 50 rounds can be. Set the target out to 50m and shoot groups then splits. Nakaka-ngawit yung putok at yung paglalakad to paste the target.;f

As for ammo, reloads lang. The factory loads at 100 rounds per week can get expensive pretty quick. Not to mention and dami magkaka-interest sa basyo mo sa matches.

New_comer
09-30-2004, 06:04
Mga 1000-1200 a year including comps na sa kin.

Don't practice much kasi eh... ;g

Eye Cutter
09-30-2004, 06:43
if you've gotten the basics of marksmanship and gunhandling correctly, and you want to improve, expend a lot of ammo!

if you're a newbie to the sport, kulang siguro 300 rounds of reloads a week for practice. at 5 a pop, that's 1500 a week + target boards and miscellaneous consumables. Then another 100-200++ rds of match ammo for your typical Level 1 and 2 matches plus match fees!

Once you've mastered your pistol, the round count drastically decreases as the drills become more specific. Go for quality rather than quantity.

julianz
09-30-2004, 06:49
good topic you open up Horge..

im out of the country and every time i go home thats the only time i can feed my boomers..3 times a week i go to the range and ratrat till maubusan ng factory rounds i usuallly take 150-200 rounds each day so thats equivalent to 450 - 600 a week + ... crap mamumulube pala ako magiipon na ko ng basyo at ill start to use reloads ..

i only had the chance to join 1 non ppsa sanctioned shoot and 1 likod bahay sanctioned shoot which i spent 100+ rounds, both had wagers so bawi naman kahit kulelat.

This really is an expensive sport/hobby ..at least we enjoy every minute of it.

hmm ..what if i invest in a reloading business back in bulacan anybody wants to share.

horge
09-30-2004, 18:51
;P ;P ;P ;P

That's a lot of brass, powder and lead.
I had no idea.
Thanks!

mc_oliver
09-30-2004, 19:15
Originally posted by horge
;P ;P ;P ;P

I had no idea.
Thanks!
Hehe, kaya weekly ang tingin ko at never ako nagto-total in a year.

New_comer
09-30-2004, 19:24
Originally posted by horge
;P ;P ;P ;P

I had no idea.
Thanks! How 'bout you?

horge
09-30-2004, 19:46
How 'bout you?

I don't race :)
(My favorite pistol isn't allowed, it seems ;))

Seriously...
I haven't been at it that long, but for personal defense training
I easily use up 100 or more per session, once every two months.
Rest of the time it's all dry, presentation drills from standing,
sitting, reclining, prone, weak/strong hand.

Maybe once a year, at the faily stretch (Bataan), I think I can go 'blind shooting'.
In the dark, you have to learn to cope with muzzleflash. They roll an
empty La Pacita biscuit tin the large one down a long wooden ricemill ramp
and try to hit it from the side. A heavy block of wood is sometimes
taped to the can's inside, to induce uneven pace of roll. The lid, of
course, is the target, and easy to cover with fresh cardboard.
My uncle started this thing way back, using a .22 rifle.

I hate it when the guards join in, because the target-can is quickly toast,
and the fun over. They inevitably whip out the pump shotties, the sick ba$tards.

Oh, the backstop is piles upon piles of small firewood against a high berm,
and we're shooting kind of downwards, with dirt for ground.

Now, I haven't actually shot this kind of thing yet.
Only watched, so far.
I'm hoping to bring the BERSA Thunder 380 next year.

ogiebb
09-30-2004, 20:44
i burn almost 600-800 pieces of ammo a week...i shoot 2 IPSC matches a week and some bowling pins and IDPA ..i used to shoot more para practice ko.. pero wala ganun din e ang practice ko matches na...this is when i realized na kailangan ko na talaga matuto mag reload ng ammo dahil pulubi na ako sa kakabili ng factory rounds..

9MX
09-30-2004, 22:23
ayoko nang kuwentahin;P

doctabako
10-01-2004, 03:14
Its worth every centavo:) They say golfers spend much more on green fees alone and IMO isn't even half as exciting and fulfilling as practical shooting.:)

New_comer
10-01-2004, 03:42
Originally posted by doctabako
They say golfers spend much more on green fees alone and IMO isn't even half as exciting and fulfilling as practical shooting.:) To me, golf provides a different kind of thrill: more factors to affect the result of a shot, mmm... just the same kind of patience is needed but with one major difference:

It's more quiet ;)

And I like both with equal fervor. (hence equal results, but heck, who gives a damn :cool: )

Ika nga sa ESPN: If you don't love it enough, it's boring; but if you take it too seriously, it breaks your heart...

Applies to both, di ba? ;f

jasonub
10-01-2004, 06:36
ok, my round count is a little high. 300 rounds per week not including m16.

my svi which i got october last year has a round count fired of 13000 plus. thats less than a year.

i also compete in every match i can. level 1 is 500-750, level 2 is 1000 level 3 is 2000.

My progress is good, I started competing october last year and have won some and lost most. One thing is nice though, for the past 4 matches i never went down 13th place overall in standards. for the last 3 weeks i got 3 throphies. level 1 champion, level 2 13th place, and most recently level 2 9th.

good luck

Eye Cutter
10-01-2004, 06:45
hahahaha!!!! the trophy's much sweeter if you don't expect it! Gaya ng iba dyan na too busy to practice at nakaka-pugo pa pag sumali once in a blue moon!

hahahaha!!!!

;e

TSMBRO

9MX
10-01-2004, 12:15
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
hahahaha!!!! the trophy's much sweeter if you don't expect it! Gaya ng iba dyan na too busy to practice at nakaka-pugo pa pag sumali once in a blue moon!

hahahaha!!!!

;e

TSMBRO

mcokalikot pa yun;f

mc_oliver
10-03-2004, 20:32
Originally posted by 9MX
mcokalikot pa yun;f
HEH! ;f

Meron ako'ng bago'ng "project" ngayon. Resurrect and beautify my old wood grips. Bwiset kasi yung Hakan. Ang gaganda nung mga grips! ;f

batangueno
10-03-2004, 20:53
I can't remember the last time i practiced, laging diretso sa matches. Siguro mga 300-400 rounds per month.