Training Class [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Training Class

Texas T
09-30-2004, 17:19
I just signed up to take a two day training class next week. I haven't ridden seriously since probably 1980 so the beginner's class should be just what I need.

I don't have a current interest in buying a bike as my 40 mile commute down into Houston wouldn't be too smart a thing to do for a rookie rider, but I figure "what the heck" it won't hurt to have the endorsement on my license "just in case" an opportunity presents itself. :)

Alan
09-30-2004, 20:07
Texas T,

Long time no talk. How are you?

Are you taking the MSF course through NHCC? Try to get one of the Honda Rebels...if you can. Trust me on that!

Sgt
09-30-2004, 23:09
I have ridden cycle for 25 yrs. and thought I knew what I was doing. I took a class with my wife so she could get her motorcycle license. One of the best classes I have ever taken. I really learned a lot and had a great time. The class we were in had 8 females and 3 males. Instructors commented on how few guys feel the need for this type of class. A mocho type thing I guess.

The bikes we rode were 250cc but a lot of what I learned really helped when taking trips on my 1800 Goldwing. I can't wait to take the advanced training class.

You will have a great time. Good luck.

Texas T
10-01-2004, 21:17
Hi Alan, doing good. Other than working all the way down in Houston every day. :) Still looking for something a little closer to home. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky one of these days.

The class is through A+ (I think that's the name) out in Magnolia. It is on Tue & Wed. This is the first time I've had two days off in a row in quite a while, and as soon as the schedule was posted I checked the cycle training schedule and saw that they had classes those day so I signed right up. The cost is $180 which may be higher than NHCC but the timing is the hardest thing for me to take care of.

Alan
10-01-2004, 21:31
You're lucky you got into the class so quickly. When I took the MSF course about 4 years ago, there was a 3 month waiting list at NHCC. However, what I learned in that class is probably what saved my life in a near-fatal accident I had 3 years ago.

Good luck, have fun, and keep us posted on your experience after your class.

Texas T
10-05-2004, 18:15
First day was good. Didn't stall it, didn't fall off it, didn't run over the instructor, scored a 100 on the written (duh), and found a muscle in my left thigh that I didn't know I had. ;P

We're riding these little KAW single cyl models with less than 500 miles on them. Very nice.

Interesting story from the instructor. He's basically retired and does this because he enjoys it, but he says he used to build custom bikes "back in the day" including a lot that made magazine covers, and that some of the OCC bikes, excluding the theme bikes, are actually built by him and a crew. DiVinci, the folks who built the hydrant carburetor for the Fire bike, are not far from where I'm taking the training. This guy has been riding for over 30+ years, has a large collection of vintage Norton, Triumph, Harley bikes, as well as some custom/collectible cars.

I don't have any reason to doubt him and he was pretty detailed in how the OCC show works in terms of the building and the filming, but I was surprised to find out that OCC farms out their regular machines.

Found out that he is (was) friends with Indian Larry and that he'd known him for a long time... including back in his drug-taking, hell-raising days. Said he was a real crazy man "back in the day".

edit...
Finished the class today, went to DPS and got my motorcycle endorsement, dropped the class verification off at my insurance agent. Had a good time (he's a great instructor) and learned a lot, and am really glad I took this step.

There were only five us in the class but he said the weekend class is usually at the max of 12 students. I was the only one that wasn't a current rider but I had no problem in keeping up with the others. I would NOT want to be in one of the classes where they have people that have never ridden before, don't even know how to start a bike or use a clutch. It must take them forever to get through a practice session.

So for anyone who hasn't take a MSF class, I can say that it is well worth the money. :)

xrated
10-08-2004, 13:28
As a motorcycle salesman, I deal with people almost everyday that:
A. Have not ridden in .....years
OR
B. Have never ridden at all.

I ALWAYS encourage them to take the MSF class to gain some valuable riding instruction. I've been riding for 33 years and they didn't have the classes when I started. I went back 2 years ago and took the Advanced Rider Course.

Alan
10-08-2004, 18:14
Glad to hear you had a great time and learned lots. Congrats on getting your endorsement!

Originally posted by Texas T
Finished the class today,...

Texas T
10-09-2004, 19:34
xrated, what do you sell?

I'm not really looking "yet", but eventually I'll probably wind up with something in the 500-750cc range. I'm not into crotch rockets, I'm more of a cruiser/tourer kind of guy but I'm not looking for a full dresser either.

Suggestions for an older (cheaper) bike to get back started with are always appreciated from everyone. ;)

T