Will there be a draft after the election? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Will there be a draft after the election?

Sixgun_Symphony
10-01-2004, 20:51
There were alot of cutbacks in the 1990's and we don't have enough troops in Iraq to properly occupy it. As things get more and more out of control over there in Iraq, do you think a draft will be necessary to get more troops?

Central Texan
10-01-2004, 21:44
Personaly, I think every young man/woman should serve this country's military. Give them some backbone, some respect, some honor, some dignity, some maners, some PT!!!! But one of the things that makes this such a great nation is a thing called choice.
Honestly, I dont think the draft will be reinstated. If they realy want more troops call up the Reservists that havent served in the sand box yet. That's what they're here for.
Bad thing about a draft (and making everybody serve for that matter) is that I sure as heck dont want to share a fox hole with a snot nosed punk who doesnt want to be a part of the Army, Marines or what ever service they are drafted into. Moral plays a huge part in any victory.

*in edit* Wonder why there's this so called "shortage on troops" in the first place? I believe we can thank former Pres. Bill Clinton for all his cutbacks. Good move Billy;g

actionpup
10-01-2004, 22:09
During the debate last night Bush stated that the armed forces would REMAIN a volunteer force. Prior to hearing that statement I have said there would be a draft. I believe him so now I don't think so...that is unless we end up in major combat operations in N. Korea or Iran in the near future.

skyboss_4evr
10-01-2004, 23:38
NO, there will be no draft! And frankly, to add fuel to the liberal fire that there will be a draft is irresponsible. With that said, keep in mind, the ONLY people who are proposing reinstating the draft are two VERY liberal Democrats in Congress.

srfl
10-01-2004, 23:47
The thing I don't understand is that during the debate, Sen. Kerry was harping about a "backdoor draft" that is now going on thanks to stop-loss (is stop-loss still in place???), calling up the IRR, reserves and NG/ANG and then makes a pledge to create 2 new army divisions and increase SF manning.

How does he propose doing that anytime soon given our current enlistement rates and the need to replace our casualties and/or servicemember separations?

The only way I can see him doing that is by reducing the TO&E of an Army division and SF or.......instituting a draft?

I am I missing something here?

rescue51
10-02-2004, 00:08
What you folks seem to be missing is that the Navy is cutting 60,000 (no that's not a typo) Sailors by 2012. My beloved Air Force is cutting 20,000 by 2006. We've been "doing more with less" since Bill Klinton cut the military to shreds so I guess we're used to it now. ;Q

sideshow
10-02-2004, 00:47
A draft won't happen.

Originally posted by rescue51
What you folks seem to be missing is that the Navy is cutting 60,000 (no that's not a typo) Sailors by 2012. My beloved Air Force is cutting 20,000 by 2006. We've been "doing more with less" since Bill Klinton cut the military to shreds so I guess we're used to it now. ;Q

The AF is only cutting down to our authorized numbers ... we've been over since 9/11. Also, the Army got a temporary increase of active duty soilders, and those wishing to leave the AF and Navy under their respective programs are eligible to join the Army. A few already have taken advantage of these programs. Also, while the AF is letting some people go, others (like myself) are transferring to the AF Reserve or the Air National Guard.

I don't think we have enough bodies either, but all of those "cuts" don't mean that we're actually losing that number of people.

rescue51
10-02-2004, 17:01
I hear ya pard. I myself am staying active duty. I have gone too far now to give up the retirement bennies. Good luck to you.

jwalk2515
10-02-2004, 20:02
I am in process of reenlisting and none of the recruiters I have talked to are having problems making their numbers.

Yes I think stop loss sucks, but mission has to be accomplished. I don't believe the draft to be needed and I don't believe it would ever pass into law no matter who proposed it. The lawsuits that would follow it would bring our military to a grinding halt.

Central Texan
10-02-2004, 20:05
Originally posted by rescue51

In the recent issue of the 'Army Times' they have an article about a program the Army is testing. Basicly, It would take a Sailor or Ariman and instead of run them through the entire basic training as we do now they would enter a 4 week Soldier training course.
Makes since when you think of it, they already have the military bearing, already have the disipline, already have the right attitude, should already be in decent shape, so why waste time and money sending them through the entire basic training course? I'm glad their doing this.
I believe Marines are still allowed to just slide over since they are already trained in ground combat.

jwalk2515
10-02-2004, 20:09
Originally posted by Central Texan
I believe Marines are still allowed to just slide over since they are already trained in ground combat.

I am skipping all basic, going straight to AIT and that is only because I don't want to keep my MOS.

Weston
10-04-2004, 04:03
Originally posted by Sixgun_Symphony
There were alot of cutbacks in the 1990's and we don't have enough troops in Iraq to properly occupy it. As things get more and more out of control over there in Iraq, do you think a draft will be necessary to get more troops?

No, but if Kerry get's elected his colleagues on the Democratic side will put pressure on him to reinstate the draft.

rescue51
10-04-2004, 11:36
They already have. There are 2 democraps that have introduced legislation to do just that. I suspect it's a tactic to make W look bad.

Bonk
10-04-2004, 12:10
As previously noted, the only ones actively sponsoring draft legislation are liberal democrats. What isn't noted is that the reason they are doing so. Not out of some grand desire to make the military bigger, but to basically make a stink and out of opposition to any foreign deployment of any of our troops. Obstructionism, basically.

I don't think there's any chance of a draft unless we start another major ground theather somewhere, and I don't see that happening.

MR. Fantastic
10-05-2004, 13:49
Originally posted by Central Texan
In the recent issue of the 'Army Times' they have an article about a program the Army is testing. Basicly, It would take a Sailor or Ariman and instead of run them through the entire basic training as we do now they would enter a 4 week Soldier training course.
Makes since when you think of it, they already have the military bearing, already have the disipline, already have the right attitude, should already be in decent shape, so why waste time and money sending them through the entire basic training course? I'm glad their doing this.

Actually if a Marine decides to enlist with the Army I believe they remove one of his limbs to make him equal to the rest the soldiers.

Now don't quote me on this but I think with the airman they actually attatch 3-4 limbs and then begin to mold him into a fighting soldier.;?

rescue51
10-05-2004, 16:39
Fuhget that! I signed up to be an Airman, not a bullet sponge. ;b

powernoodle
10-05-2004, 18:00
we don't have enough troops in Iraq to properly occupy it.

There are 2.2 million active military and reservists, and around 120,000 in Iraq. That means that around 94% of our military is somewhere other than Iraq.

Where is the shortage?

The left is doing the only thing they are well-suited for - trying to scare people with lies.

yo, and best regards

CarlosDJackal
10-06-2004, 20:49
The Dems are trying like hell to perpetuate the myth that there will be a draft after the elections. That moron from NY is the one who is trying to push this.

thebronze
10-08-2004, 14:01
Within the last few days, the Repubs put that worthless draft bill up for a vote and it was soundly defeated, with only two Dems voting for it (not the sponsors, either).

The Repubs called the Dem's bluff and the Dem's got called on it.

Put up or shut up beotches!

Steve7
10-08-2004, 14:24
NO

busch308
10-16-2004, 10:15
During the debate last night Bush stated that the armed forces would REMAIN a volunteer force. Yeah, and FDR ran on a ticket of keeping us out of WWII.

Bogey
10-16-2004, 10:45

One key...we are not trying to occupy Iraq.

I'd be careful whn you talk about troops on the ground...it's the professional military that's running the war, not politicians or news media. That's the difference between Nam and Iraq.

jay.shebuski
10-17-2004, 08:25
No

What good would it do me,..or the Nation, to have a Soldier in Iraq or anywhere else for that matter..that didn't want to be a Soldier, in the 1st place?

During WW2, the Army had 100 divisions plus the Air Corp..we lost approx 1,000 (+), on average,..killed..a week!, in 44-45.

The Army now has 10 divisions (+/-, depending on how you cut it), with a "volunter" Army..you know what are losses, in personnel, have been.

..it's not "just" the technology; not "just" the training.

It's the Soldier...not just defined by him/her being "in boots".

..could we use more Soldiers? I think so,..but let them be volunteers...and I think we can raise that "volunteer" force.

pwharve
10-17-2004, 10:37
The only sponsors have been Dems. Rummy isn't for it.

IMO a Dem scare tactic.

--pwharve

peter3334
10-17-2004, 10:38
If Kerry gets in there will be a draft.

ph.

walangkatapat
10-17-2004, 11:57
Kerry and his lefty friends are the only ones that have suggested mandatory service or sponsored a bill for the draft.