g26 vs. sw j frame [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : g26 vs. sw j frame

trudge
10-01-2004, 22:02
Does any woman out there have an opinion about carrying/firing a g26 vs. a S&W j-frame revolver? My wife is looking into both. Is there one that you prefer for carrying in a pocketbook or bag etc? My wife likes the simplicity of the revolver but is not a hugh fan of double action so she always cocks the hammer. THus, a hammerless revolver might be out of the question. She is not crazy about autos because it takes her some effort to rack the slide. I am sure both issues can be dealt with with more practice but I wanted to get your ideas. Thanks very much.

Kolchak
10-02-2004, 12:58
My solution, a j-frame with an exposed hammer. I do, indeed, prefer the simplicity of the revolver, and I, too, like to cock the hammer when I get the chance. I carry a Model 37 Airweight. Not all j-frames lack an exposed hammer.

trudge
10-02-2004, 13:31
Thanks, Kolchak, for your input. BTW, I did not mean to imply that all j-frams lack an exposed hammer, I just meant that one with an internal hammer is probably out of the question. I was thinking abou the SW649 which has a shrouded hammer (perhaps the best of both worlds - snag-free, but can be cocked). Do you find the 37 Airweight to have a significant amnount of recoil?

Jaegergirl
10-02-2004, 13:49
i wasn't crazy about revolvers (my only experience was with a 2" snubbie however) but i love my g26.

trudge
10-03-2004, 13:25
thanks for your input...

SouthernGal
10-04-2004, 14:16
I never cared for revolvers either because lots of times I had trouble with the hammer. I'd much rather be carrying my Glock than one of those. Has she actively tried both (cocking, firing, etc?)

Melissa Ann
10-05-2004, 09:12
Personally, I'd prefer the Glock. I like semi autos. My bf shoots the sw j-frames and they seem well cuited for carry. A pocket holster and tuck the thing in your front jeans pocket, and you're ready to go. I like the bobbed hammers because they won't snag on the pocket as you draw.

And as you said, both problems she seems to have (racking the slide and shooting the revolvers DA) will get better with practice.

Good luck.
Melissa :)