Linux distros: recommendations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Linux distros: recommendations

cnemikeman
10-02-2004, 16:20
I've got some free time, and I'm trying to broaden my horizons and increase my linux knowledge and abilities. I've got RedHat 9 ( last release before switch to Fedora, roughly a year old) running currently. What 'flavor' do you use, recommend, and prefer? I also would like some good book recommendations for fledgling linux noobs. :) I have a Novell & Microsoft background right now. I like the looks of Suse now that Novell has it, too.........but tell me all what I need to know to really get started.

MiKeMaN

chevrofreak
10-02-2004, 16:34
ubuntu

Jack T.
10-02-2004, 16:50
RedHat webserver
Slackware Desktop
Just installed Debian on a 120mhz, 24meg Ram laptop. . .

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other ;f

vertigo7
10-02-2004, 18:11
/me likes Debian. ;f

Dandapani
10-02-2004, 18:22
Running RH9 right now on my home desktop.
Running FC2 (upgraded from FC1) on my laptop.

I plan on converting RH9 desktop to FC2, then FC3 after my relocation in November.

I like the RH variety pretty well. Maps well to my Unix experience. Fedora Core looks just like RH a far as I'm concerned.

hwyhobo
10-02-2004, 18:28
cnemikeman, what is the main purpose of your installation? How are you going to use it?

HerrGlock
10-02-2004, 18:58
Go to cdrom.com or other places that have distros and order a sample pack. They're usually $20-30 and you get a handful of them.

Install each in turn and see if it makes some sense to you. If it does, that's the one you should play with.

Now, for support it's RedHat (Fedora Core), Mandrake, SuSE, Debian.

As asked above, what do you want to do with it?

DanH

cnemikeman
10-02-2004, 20:33
Thanks for replies so far........ the question of 'what do I want to do with it' was mentioned-- I want to become (at least marginally) proficient with the ins and outs of it to better expand my tech skills. I'm a Novell guy at heart ( hence the cne in cnemikeman :) ) and the newest version will run on a Linux platform base......so I want to have a handle on it.
It is also nice to get away from being one of "Bill's boys" and branch out. Thanks to all, and more input is appreciated.

MiKeMaN

bobby_w
10-02-2004, 21:30
If you are a Netware guy then go with Suse. Novell owns them. Go sign up for the Novell tech kit they offer. They will send it to you free. I got mine and it is great with Server and desktop versions.

hwyhobo
10-02-2004, 21:59
Originally posted by cnemikeman
I'm a Novell guy at heart ( hence the cne in cnemikeman :) ) and the newest version will run on a Linux platform base......so I want to have a handle on it.Then I would definitely go with the Novell's SuSe kit. It is a perfect fit for your needs.

cnemikeman
10-03-2004, 09:48
Any ideas of turn-around time on the SUSE kit? I swear I ordered 2 months back, still haven't heard a word........

MiKeMaN

chevrofreak
10-03-2004, 10:12
Originally posted by chevrofreak
ubuntu

Should mention that this is a Debian distro that kicks ass.

Glockinhand
10-03-2004, 10:17
stick with redhat, thats what we use at work for servers

microsoft on the desktop, rh9 for servers
works good

eljefe6
10-03-2004, 13:44
I use and recommend Mandrake Linux (http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-us/) for newbies. It has good hardware support and is easy to setup.

fastvfr
10-03-2004, 22:00
Cnemikeman;

If you are truly interested in learning the workings of Linux, this is what I suggest:

Get a LiveCD version to mess with; Knoppix runs KDE and is a derivative of Debian, using aptget for updates. Go for the 3.6 Knop release.

Play with it from the CD, learn to navigate the file structure, and READ ALL THE MAN AND INFO FILES!!

And when you are ready, you can slave in a little HDD to install it onto, with at least three partitions (one 3-5GB, for the /root directory, one of 4-8 for the /home directory, and one of 1024MB or so for swap space) and discover the joys of a full Debian install.

After you are proficient with the Linux way of handling code, and feel comfortable with recompiling your Debian kernel, take the plunge.

And install Slackware.

Trust me, you'll learn Linux or you'll go nuts trying!!

Have Fun,

FastVFR

frefoo
10-03-2004, 22:41
cnemikeman;

Being a Novell guy at heart how dare you ask this question. :)

I am a Novell guy at heart also, I started out with RedHat 5.2 and stuck with a Redhat distro for my systems. Because that is what I know.

That being said I purchased SuSE and installed it on my laptop. There are differences between Red-Hat and Suse that I need to get used to and figure out.

From my expirence you will see more Red-Hat installs in the US so that would be a better distro for income/work considerations.

Because I am a Novell fan (Netware 2.12), I will learn SuSE.

In the US expect more jobs looking for Red-Hat. If that is not a concern check them all out, find one that you like, but look hard at SuSE since they are Novell.

Washington,D.C.
10-04-2004, 13:04
The best live CD and the easiest to install on the hard drive is Kanotix.The latest is Kanotix Bug Hunter 9.It's compressed on one CD and is Debian.It runs better than Knoppix.Knoppix 3.6 has sound problems and Kanotix is more up to date.Can download it here ftp://debian.tu-bs.de/kanotix/KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-09/ File: KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-09-2004.iso .719184 KB .10/04/2004 . 01:18:00 PM. Only download the first file.It's the CD.

David_G17
10-04-2004, 13:36
Originally posted by cnemikeman
Any ideas of turn-around time on the SUSE kit? I swear I ordered 2 months back, still haven't heard a word........

MiKeMaN

i got mine pretty soon, back in september when there was a thread on here about it.

MikeG22
10-08-2004, 09:42
I am going to second Mandrake. Version 10.1 comes with everything you could possibly want to do whatever you want. Free version is 3 cd's.

Best installer there is, good administration tools, nice package. Also, Mandrake has some really good support websites that can help you if you get stuck. Add to that you can still use rpm's if you want can be a bonus when that is all you can find for a particular piece of software.

hogrider
10-09-2004, 20:53
# Don flameproof underwear

I'm going to counter every recommendation to date.
If you're a techie, and
If you're looking to expand your knowledge base...
Stay away from the 'newbie' or 'easy' distro's.

Debian is great for those who like it, but it'll never be mainstream (marketable skills)
RedHat/Mandrake are mainstream, but you'll start with so many wizards & baggage that it will take 3x as long to get up to speed.
SuSE is fine if you never plan on leaving the Novell spectrum or plan to work in Germany.

My recommendations? Gentoo, LFS, or Slackware.
I prefer Gentoo, but any of these distro's will force you to learn how to get around the bowels of a Linux system. The best community support (IMHO) will be found with Gentoo, followed by Slackware and LFS.

We get many converts to Gentoo, who never realized how little they know about Linux. It's not especially difficult, but it does require you become familiar with the CLI, and understand your system.

You're not asking for a 'joe-user' install, you're looking to learn Linux system engineering. This cannot be found in a fancy package or GUI wizard. As a former Novell guy, I can tell you I was much more effective with NDS thanks to my background with bindery mode. By the same token, you'll be much better at tracking down a problem with script, syslog, and dmesg than any 'high-level admin' with a GUI.

Welcome to the Dark Side!

Cinic
10-09-2004, 21:58
So how do you go about 'learning' Linux?

I downloaded and installed Slackware 10 this weekend. I'm writing this from KDE in Konqueror.

What are some 'projects' that would familiarize me with this a bit more? I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing or understand the inner workings at all.

Alpha752
10-09-2004, 22:05
Try SuSE or Slackware. Drake and RH are for newbies, SuSE and Slack are a step up.

Alpha752
10-09-2004, 22:07
Originally posted by Cinic

I downloaded and installed Slackware 10 this weekend. I'm writing this from KDE in Konqueror.

What are some 'projects' that would familiarize me with this a bit more? I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing or understand the inner workings at all.

IMHO the best way, start playing with it. Linux is not as user friendly to newbies as windows, so you have to learn how to use it. Play with it, make it do what you want it to do.

HerrGlock
10-10-2004, 03:42
Cinic,

Get a box. For what you're doing (learning) it doesn't matter what speed the CPU is as long as it's a pentium class. If not a box, get another hard drive for your current desktop.

Load whatever distro you're interested in trying.

Make it work. Put in IP address, read all the files in the /etc directory. Check out the /etc/rc.X directories and see what the SXXfilename stuff is (those are the ones that will run during boot.) See what the KXXfilename stuff is (those are the ones that will kill off something during boot.)

As for RedHat being for newbies, I'm not sure I agree with that as an end all and be all. I haven't been a Linux newbie since about 1995 and the laptop I'm writing this on is Fedora Core 2, RedHat's GNU, free to use, distro. My desktop at work is the same as are a handful of the servers I run. Most of the servers at work are Solaris, BSD or RedHat.

Yes, it puts a lot of junk on the drive that you'll never use but it shows you what can be.

All the distros have plusses and minuses. As I said above, load them all each in turn, and see which one makes the most sense to you. Then forgo the wizards and try to find how to do whatever it is you're looking to do via command line.

Make it work. Screw around with it and see what's where and what the structure is. You're going to break it and make it not work. That's fine. Don't put anything you cannot afford to lose onto the Linux box until you have loaded it a handful of times. Poke around as a user, NOT root. As a user, you will not have permissions to be able to do serious damage to the machine but you can poke around and read most of it.

1st time it breaks, you'll have to reload.
2nd time it breaks, try to figure out what broke before reloading
3rd time, figure out what broke and see if you can fix it.
after that, figure out what you broke, fix it on the fly and keep the machine running the whole time without a reboot. If you can do this one at will, you will have a good knowledge of *NIX.

When you're in a pinch, post here. There's someone who will have an idea how to get out of the pickle you got yourself into.

DanH

hogrider
10-10-2004, 06:01
Originally posted by Cinic

First and foremost, skip the GUI. Yes, we have wizards for this, and frontends for that, but unless you know what the wizards/frontends are doing, you're not learning.

Second, what would you like to learn? If this was a Novell install, what are some of the things you'd be setting up?
Build your own kernel Setup an LDAP server Work with Samba & Kerberos Create a print server (Cups) Mail Services Web Services Firewall/Proxy Server (iptables/squid) Anything else you might setup on a jobDon't use the pretty tools, they probably won't be there when your working, and they won't teach you whats really going on.

The key here is to get hands-on time. You will only learn by doing. Use vi or emacs for all of your editing. Use a shell script for anything you think you'll do more than once. Learn grep, sed, and awk.

O'Reilly, of course, has many wonderful books geared towards the technically minded.

When all else fails,
perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'

BTW, the one thing a GUI is good for is multiple xterms. Remember, highlight with the left mouse button, paste with the center button.

CMA G21
10-10-2004, 07:18
You might want to consider Xandros.

http://www.xandros.com/

saber41
10-10-2004, 08:45
If you were thinking of purchasing SUSE 9.1 Pro you might want to wait a couple more weeks.
Novell has announced that SUSE 9.2 is scheduled to be released in November.

In the meantime, if you still want to play with SUSE, download the SUSE 9.1 personal edition or the SUSE 9.1 live-eval, both are free downloads from the SUSE site,
http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/suse_linux/