I almost cried today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I almost cried today

Central Texan
10-02-2004, 20:28
I was coming home from a weekend duty assignment and decided to stop at the store for some groceries. As I was walking up to the door I passed a white Caddy that had just parked in a handicap spot up front. As I was walking twards the car (noticing the Purple Heart on the licence plate) the driver's door opened and an elderly gentelman began to exit the car, he stumbled and sliped and fell onto the pavment with one leg still inside his car. Naturaly I rushed over to him to help him up and make sure he was okay. I grabed him under his arms and lifted him up, then held him untill he got his balance again.
I asked "Sir, are you okay? That was one nasty fall"
He turned around and looked me from head to toe noting my uniform. At this time I noticed the man's hat, it was a Vietnam Vet's ball cap with service pins and a Butter Bar mounted proudly on the crown.
His voice was quiet and shakey when he said "Thank you PFC, I'm okay now".
I gave him a smile and told him "We gotta take care of our own Sir".
His eyes got big, then watery and he hugged me. Right smack in the front of the parking lot. He let out a sort of low and squeaky "God bless you son". We parted and I noticed a woman who I assume is his wife standing next to us with a big ol smile. I told her "Good evnin' Mam'" as I began to walk away twards the store agian and said to the gentelman "Take care L.T.".

I'm not completely sure what it was about this encounter that got to me. Maybe it was the chance to help out a fellow serviceman, or the oprotunity to look into the eyes of one of America's true Heros. Maybe just the fact that a small connection between "yesterday" and "today" was made in those short moments. What ever it was, I had to dry my eyes a little as I walked into the store.

I just wanted to share that with yall.

Delta
10-02-2004, 20:31
Good job CT...

;c ;c ;c ;c ;c ;c

pesticidal
10-02-2004, 21:01
;?

freepatriot
10-02-2004, 21:08
Hang on, now I've got something in MY eye...

jwalk2515
10-03-2004, 16:34
job well done

KB4IFS
10-04-2004, 06:12
Now if only the VA would do the same thing.

Darkangel1846
10-04-2004, 17:36
Your a good man CT, God Bless you.

alfred guard
10-04-2004, 19:14
Thank you

MR. Fantastic
10-05-2004, 13:29
Great story;?

CarlosDJackal
10-05-2004, 13:35
Kudos to you!! ;? ^c

thebronze
10-08-2004, 14:05
Maybe it's because you realized that's going to be you (and us) someday...

Good job looking out for a fellow vet.

RussP
10-11-2004, 09:15
Originally posted by scottauld
Hang on, now I've got something in MY eye... Me, too...;? ;?

DriBak
10-11-2004, 09:22
I cry EVERYDAY for our servicemembers past, present and future, I guess it doesn't help that I hve a service connected disability for PTSD

rlbgfish173
10-11-2004, 09:35
;? ;c Thanks

lucky8926
10-12-2004, 01:26
That honestly gave me chills and got me a little teary-eyed!! As someone said earlier "job well done";?

10-12-2004, 15:31
Good job Tex! We have to watch out for each other... no one else will!

10-12-2004, 17:15
Good on ya!!

I saw a fellow in a restaurant wearing a Viet Vet hat. On our way out, I stopped, said "Thanks" and shook his hand. He was speechless, I think. I try to to that whenever I can.

Blitzer
10-17-2004, 15:42
;z :cool: ;) ;? ;1 ;3 ;D ^6 ^c

Old NFO
10-31-2004, 16:53
Well done- You don't know how much that means...

r,
Old NFO

Central Texan
11-02-2004, 23:12
Ya know, when I posted this I didnt know how yall would respond. It seemed kind of trivial, sorta "what's the big deal?". To be truthfull I thought I'd get made fun of for making a deal of nothing, but I also thought maybe one or two folks would get it and understand. I in no way excpected these kinds of responces from so many folks.
I did what seemed right, and natural. At the time I didnt even think of it, I just did it and I realy didnt think yall would see it the way I did.

I'm glad to see how wrong I was. I'm glad to see that there are folks out there who can understand and appreciate these subtle gifts we can give to each other. Because to each other these gifts arent so subtle.

RussP
11-03-2004, 20:04
Originally posted by Central Texan
Ya know, when I posted this I didnt know how yall would respond. It seemed kind of trivial, sorta "what's the big deal?". To be truthfull I thought I'd get made fun of for making a deal of nothing, but I also thought maybe one or two folks would get it and understand. I in no way excpected these kinds of responces from so many folks.
I did what seemed right, and natural. At the time I didnt even think of it, I just did it and I realy didnt think yall would see it the way I did.

I'm glad to see how wrong I was. I'm glad to see that there are folks out there who can understand and appreciate these subtle gifts we can give to each other. Because to each other these gifts arent so subtle.

Yes...you did good..."what seemed right, and natural", as you put it....

RussP:)

djinco
11-08-2004, 15:40
Well done.

SargeRN
11-09-2004, 05:17
AS we use to say in the 3rd ID many years ago - back when they where in Germany - "Drive On". This was the greeting we used when meeting and saluting an officer. It also meant whatever it took to get the job done.
You did good CT....Drive On!

Sarge

TMK
11-11-2004, 07:01
Well Done young man!!! Only thing that pains me somewhat is hearing someone of my generation (VN) referred to as elderly :)

Thank you for your service!

Regards, Ted

Cynthia
11-11-2004, 08:18
that was a touching story, Bryan...now if you'll excuse me, I've got to find a huge box of Kleenex...

When I read this thread, I wasn't surprised one bit by your actions. You have always been a kindhearted, loyal, and giving person. Anyone who has the privilege to call you a friend is truly blessed. Our country is lucky to have you serving for her. ;?

You will always be my favorite "American Soldier" ;)

Always,

Cynthia

Central Texan
11-29-2004, 21:55
No offence TMK, but at my age 40 seems "elderly" ;)

Hey ya Cyn, thanks. Glad to see your okay. I was driving through OKC the other day and thought bout ya. Havent heard from you in a while, good to see your still kickin!