Body Type/Fitness?'s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Body Type/Fitness?'s

D.S.Brown
10-02-2004, 23:22
Hey all I have a few questions.

Back in 1996 I went from 236 to high 160's in about 4.5 months. How I did it? Lot's of cardio. I worked up to running 7 miles a day 7 day a week plus full body weights three days a week. Oh and I starved myself. The latter I didn't know at the time because I was following a book called "The Fat to Muscle Diet." This diet advocated 1000 calories a day, I would routinely "cheat" by having 1100-1200 and still lose weight. Go figure! Anyway back then I didn't know that most diet books and programs were geared largely towards women, thus the low caloric intake.

I maintained this high mileage schedule until the summer of 1998 when I tore my left ACL. I kind of disregarded all that crunching of the knee when I would walk down a flight of stairs. Fast forward.

Within 2 years of my surgery in Sept of 1998 I was back up to 225 lbs. By Spring of 2002 I was back up to 236 lbs. At a friends request I joined Weight Watchers and by November of 2002 I was down to 198, but I have gained at least 15 lbs back.

Heres what I noticed. I am 5'8 with a very broad chest, muscular legs, and large shoulders. Just born that way. My arms are okay but I've never seen any real improvement on them over the past 18 years. They always seem to measure about 14.5" no matter what I do. Anyway I have been reading this book called "The Body Code" where as the writer has the human body broken down by somatatype. I feel that I am definately an endomorph. Over the past four years I have tried weight specific routines such as "Body for Life" twice and "Men's Health Cover Model Workout" and never lost any significant weight or inches.

After all that lead in here goes. For my type (endomorphic) it is recommended that I do lots of cardio, with minimal weight training, (maybe a full body workout once a week w/ light weights). My concern is that even getting down to light heavy weight 170 lbs though cardio and eating a diet closer to 2000-2200 calories that I will be compromising my metabolism by not lifting enough. However like I said whenever I lift I make good strength gains but I don't see any weight loss. I only manage to look bulkier. The only time I have lost any significant weight is with the incorporation of healthy diet and lots of cardio. Finally a question.

For any of you out there perhaps in a similar predicament how much protein are you eating? How much should I take in to make up for any burned up in my cardio routines?

Secondly what are some of the types out there? After doing lots of research I firmly believe now that though we all look similar each one of us has a specific diet/exercise lifestyle more suited to our specific type. I don't feel trapped by being an "endo", I just want to maximize my health by appealing to my strengths.

Last question. I have pretty good shoulders but they have both been injured in Aikido practice and lifting. Are really high repetitions of light dumbbells (10-15 lbs at 20 reps) okay as long as I don't feel any pain? Once I start doing military presses with 50 lbs or more I start to feel pain in my anterior deltoids.

Thanks for your attention.

Best,
Dave

DonGlock26
10-06-2004, 17:48
I'm an endo too. Only jogging or fitness walking works for me. As an endo, diet is critical for fat loss. I would eat a low-fat,high lean protein diet with moderate carbs. If I watch my diet, I can lose weight by walking a hour a day 5-6 times a week. Weight training is good, but not so much that, you are too tired to do cardio.

I don't do overhead movements anymore. I have impingment syndrome. The rotator cuff is pinched by the shoulder bones when the arm is lifted higher than shoulder height. Look it up! (Just my experiences)
I would like to see a good workout/diet book geared for endos.

Good Luck,

Don

G17Jake
10-06-2004, 19:04
[i]
I don't do overhead movements anymore. I have impingment syndrome. The rotator cuff is pinched by the shoulder bones when the arm is lifted higher than shoulder height.

Don [/B]

How did you diagnose this condition? Did an xray or an MRI reveal this? I am asking because I think I may have the same problem.

DonGlock26
10-08-2004, 13:13
Originally posted by G17Jake
How did you diagnose this condition? Did an xray or an MRI reveal this? I am asking because I think I may have the same problem.

X-ray. I have a bone spur at the end of my shoulder bone that points downward. When the arm goes up, the rot. cuff can gets pinched. It swells and gets pinched more. A vicious circle ensues. I'd suggest seeing a dr. I just avoid overhead presses and do pull-downs with a under hand grip. over hand grips cause the shoulder to pinch the rot cuff as well.

Good Luck,

Don