Building your own [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Building your own

Bullman
10-03-2004, 08:44
Now I am not a mechanical genius, but every once in a while I get these wild ideas that won't leave my head.

I know a guy who more or less built himself a fatboy by buying a frame, a FLH type fork, S and S motor and so on...

why couldn't a person buy that type of frame and instead of the S and S motor, stuff something like an early eighties GSXR1100 motor in there, the air cooled type? Maybe make it shaft drive (low maintenance) put some bags on it maybe so you could take it all over the country.

Anyone ever done or seen anything like this?

BrianM_G21
10-03-2004, 11:47
There's no limit to what can be done.... if you're willing to part with the money. That said, there are some 'issues' with what you suggested that would take a LOT of money to overcome:

The frames that are comonly available are designed for HD clone engines (V-twins that are supported from below, room for an oil tank, etc). To stuff a wide and short GSXR11 motor in there would leave a LOT of empty space, stick out so far to the sides that highway pegs wouldn't be a functional option and you'd need to fabricate new motor-mounts. Now, if you're talking about a custom 1-off frame (Spondon and Harris are well know, there are others) ~ then it'd be designed to fit the engine and all these issues would be for naught.

The next major issue is that changing a chain drive to shaft is no small undertaking. You'd need to either figgure out a chain to shaft conversion, or figgure out a way to recast the engine cases for shaft drive. Considering the GS1100 is the same engine (though slightly detuned) with shaft drive, that would be a more logical starting point.

If you're seriously interested in building something and want the best resources available on the net, you'll want to join the MC-Chassis-Design email list and the MC-Engine-Design yahoo group. A brighter collection of minds doesn't exist anywhere else (at least that I've found in the past decade).

45acp4me
10-05-2004, 12:53
As BrianM_G21 said, the drivetrain would be the problem.

Suzuki did make a shaft drive gsx1100g with the powerplant you speak of.

http://www.gsx1100g.com/

Regards,
Glen

Bullman
10-05-2004, 21:39
From the sound of things, it appears that the frame would be a bit of a problem. I am just looking for a simpler bike to do what mine does now. I have a Kawasaki Concours. While it is a good bike, and I have enjoyed it immensely, I don't do as much long range touring as I used to, the wife likes to keep me closer to home. She likes to ride though. I just remember how much nicer it was when i had an old early 80's air cooled UJM and would like another, but with my hard bags ( they are just so handy to have around). I rode an 1100 Yamaha midnight special once, that is the sort of bike I would like to have, say with a windshield and some bags, that way I would have all that plastic to contend with.

I have a friend who built his own, V-twin of course, but I like inline fours, I like how they spool up and all that good stuff and I thought it might be neat to build my own, but it sounds like it is probably more trouble than it is worth.

BrianM_G21
10-06-2004, 11:29
Well, it sounds like this GSX1100G is a bike you might want to consider. (I thought it was a GS model, not a GSX.. shoulda looked before posting above). It's got the big inline engine you want, shaft drive, UJM styling and if you want bags, toss on some Givis. I remember riding with an Old FartŪ in DC on one of thse things and he was Damn hard to loose ~ it's a Very capable machine.

I'm not sure where in OK you're located, but here's one in TX:

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/0/0/73579200.htm

http://images.traderonline.com/EMedia/tarchive2/260/58172/00344944203.jpg

All it'd need are some bags.. that's easy enough.

Bullman
10-06-2004, 14:09
I might have to look into something like that, It would have to be a different color, but that is easy enough to fix on a bike.