Setting up wireless internet [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Setting up wireless internet

Clockwork
10-03-2004, 17:54
I am not the most computer savvy guy so I thought I would ask you guys for some help...

I have a cable internet connection and would like to set up a wireless network in my home. The satelite TV was using the cable outlets so we had to install another outlet but we were forced to put it in a bedroom and that is not where we want to keep the computer. So I figured why not go wireless.

From what I understand, which isn't much, all I need is a router and an adapter for the PC right? And if I have two computers I just need an adapter for each one right?

So what else do I need to know? Pro/Cons? Reliability issues? Compatability issues? Hackers? Price range? Recomended brands? Brands to stay away from?

Thanks in advance...

ronin_asano
10-03-2004, 18:53
Originally posted by Clockwork
I am not the most computer savvy guy so I thought I would ask you guys for some help...

I have a cable internet connection and would like to set up a wireless network in my home. The satelite TV was using the cable outlets so we had to install another outlet but we were forced to put it in a bedroom and that is not where we want to keep the computer. So I figured why not go wireless.

From what I understand, which isn't much, all I need is a router and an adapter for the PC right? And if I have two computers I just need an adapter for each one right?

So what else do I need to know? Pro/Cons? Reliability issues? Compatability issues? Hackers? Price range? Recomended brands? Brands to stay away from?

Thanks in advance...

run away from dlink. netgear and linksys are good choices. get something that does b and g that way you will be compatible with most cards. get something that supports wpa encryption as well. i suggest the netgear wgr614.

you will need the router, one wireless nic per machine, and that's about it. turn on encryption, turn off the ssid broadcast, change the default password and you should be set.

range can be reduced if you have to go through walls or floors so make the router as 'visible' to as much of the house as you can within the restrictions of plugging it into the cable modem.

MadeByMattell
10-03-2004, 19:20
Also limiting access by MAC address adds an even better layer of security. Highly recommended and since you won't be adding new network devices for a while, it's an easy, one-time setting.

Clockwork
10-04-2004, 14:37
What do you guys think about Motorola?

I saw it at wal mart and it is in my budget. I think it says it does the b and g, whatever that means. Not sure about the encyption though.

Any other thoughts, suggestions?

MadeByMattell
10-04-2004, 14:54
I don't have any experience with Motorola. I'd stick with Linksys or Netgear.

I use Linksys mostly. You can find a combo set at Best Buy for under $120 that contains the wireless router and 1 adapter for a laptop.

lomfs24
10-06-2004, 01:06
Originally posted by Clockwork
What do you guys think about Motorola?

I saw it at wal mart and it is in my budget. I think it says it does the b and g, whatever that means. Not sure about the encyption though.

Any other thoughts, suggestions?

I don't know that model number of the set I saw, but Radio Shack has a Motorola router wireless card combo. I have not worked with it but from what I have heard it is a pretty good setup. Motorola has been a name that has been in wireless communication of all sort from the begining of radio. They gotta know what they are doing.