Hard Drive Replacement Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Replacement Question

Wulfenite
10-04-2004, 16:01
The HD in my desk top is going bad. Increasingly frequent error messages saying that its not operating within specifications. It still seems to be working but I dont trust it.

I've purchased a replacement, a Western Digital 80meg drive. The side of the box says the software it comes with "makes drive installation, partitioning, formating, and drive copy simple...."

I'm trying to figure out if this software will automatically transfer all the "stuff" (OS, programs, and data)on the old drive to the new drive or if I need to get something like Norton's Ghost to effect the switch.

Also, is there any reason I cant leave the old drive in there in case it does decide to keep chuging away.

Cinic
10-04-2004, 16:20
Is the drive going bad the only drive in the system?

Do you want to re-install windows?

Is there any data that you can't backup in one way or another?

I don't know much about the Ghost but I believe you can do what you want to with it. I know you can't just plug the other one in and transfer everything over to it and expect it to boot from that disk.

If it were me and I had the ability to backup my files and re-install all programs, I'd start from scratch with the new disk and re-install windows.

But I'm by no means the authority on this subject. I'm sure others will have differing advice in here.

Good luck.

lomfs24
10-04-2004, 16:53
I don't have a lot of information to go on here. I don't know whether the drive it'self is going bad of if you have some corrupt files. One snag about Ghost, if you have corrupt files that are causing the problem Ghost will make an exact copy of those corrupt fils and you may still have the problems after you install an new HD

Wulfenite
10-04-2004, 17:05
There is only one HD in the system right now.

The error the drive gives leads me to believe that its not a problem with a corrupt file. I've been through some tech support diagnostic exercises with Dell and they concluded that it was a bad drive.

I guess I'll just have to tear into it and see what happens.

cnemikeman
10-04-2004, 18:00
Western Digital drives will come with software that will allow you to copy over your data from old to new. Pretty straight-forward, assuming the drive doesn't die before all files are copied. :)

Washington,D.C.
10-05-2004, 00:56
The included software should do it but on my Win 98 machine it didn't reconize my operating system (it did work on my Win XP machine),I used free software called XXCOPY and it worked great.It can be downloaded for free but it doesn't work with Win XP.

greenlead
10-05-2004, 03:57
install your new drive as secondary.

go into dos mode and copy all files from your primary to your secondary.

BikerGoddess
10-05-2004, 09:02
Any new drive you buy in the store will have a program to copy the files over to your new drive, and from your perspective, it'll look just like the old one. There should be an instruction sheet with it. Mine had pretty pictures, even.

Since your drive appears to be physically bad, I'd opt not to keep it as a secondary. Depending on how it's jumpered now, you may have to make some changes, but it's pretty easy.

I'd do it as soon as possible. If the drive physically goes bad, you can't get the info back, even if you send it to one of those fancy recovery places. (Well, you can get some of it, but it's an expensive and desperate last act)

Laura

Wulfenite
10-06-2004, 00:56
The swap went swimmingly. I put the new drive in as a second drive. The WD software swaped all the stuff over. The old drive came out, new drive went in. Booted right up.

Thanks.