Computer lock up - HELP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Computer lock up - HELP

firedude
10-04-2004, 21:41
A computer forum on Glock Talk, great. My computer locks up at times while I am surfing the web or doing just about anything. The time of lock up is anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds. It will work fine for a while and then it will happen again. I am using Windows 98 and at the present time my system resources are at 50 % which seems kind of low. I also have down loaded Adware 6 and Spybot. I tried a search but could not find anything that would help. Also, I am not real computer literate. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Poppa Bear
10-04-2004, 22:05
How many icons do you have in your bottom right tray? Have you tried to defrag your hard drive? How much RAM do you have? How much available disk space? There are a lot of things that cause the BSOD or just flat out lock up Win98 machines.

If you want to keep Win98 then I would suggest save your important info to another disk or computer. Then reformat your HD and reinstall Win98. This will get rid of all the junk clogging your system.

10-04-2004, 22:17
Formatting and reinstalling is a good idea and a sure fire way to fix it. If you feel like spending the time loading it and all your software.

I would start with uninstalling all programs and games you dont use. Then i would defrag, then run scanreg /fix and if that dont help the problem then i would format and start over.

USCG

firedude
10-04-2004, 23:08
Hey USCG1988 -
How do I run scanreg/fix and what is it? Thanks.

jack19512
10-05-2004, 05:04
Computer lock up can be caused by hardware failure also. After doing what you can, software,format and restore and whatever, if that doesn't fix your problem start looking at hardware. I had a computer with lock up problems, almost drove me crazy. Ended up being a bad mother Board.

10-05-2004, 06:48
thats a good point jack. i guess we should have asked him if he added any Hw or SW. TYpically problems arise when a new peice of SW or HW has been installed and a compatibility issue may be his problem.

firedude

Its a registry cleaner built into W98. Go to start / run and type in scanreg /fix

USCG

firedude
10-05-2004, 08:39
Hey USCG, I tried scan/reg fix and it said that file could not be found. Now what. Thanks for trying.

Firedude
USMC

10-05-2004, 15:43
its scanreg ( insert space here) /fix

one space between scanreg and the forward slash.

USCG

davejax904
10-07-2004, 20:46
this happened on my old computer, and still happens on my moms computer. both systems were/are win98 SE.

i have done everything suggested so far. and the only thing that worked for me, was backing everything up, and typing 'format c:' [enter] 'y' [enter]. then reinstalling everything.

the problem for me, has happened with no new sw or hw installed. and no programs being updated or downloaded except windows updates.

i still suggest trying what has been suggested as it may fix your problem, and because reinstalling everything is a pain.

the other way to fix it is to get windows xp pro :-)

fastvfr
10-09-2004, 00:26
That's a good idea; or you could take Step One, and remove all Micro$oft products from the computer and make friends with Debian or Mandrake instead!!