What to check before shooting reloads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What to check before shooting reloads

agentrod
10-05-2004, 21:43
Newbie question here, since there is a discussion on another thread on buldging cases and I'm quite worried since I shoot reloads bought from the range I visit (usually Northstar).

Lately I have been checking for:
* Buntis (buldging) brass - I ask them to replace it if visually I dont like the budlge.
* Crack on the brass - I usually see a couple with cracks at the lip, what extent is OK?
* I check if all are 9mm cases - since I've read horror stories of wrong caliber cases destroying a gun.
* I check if the primers are alligned - easy to do quickly, I've seen a photo of a misaligned primer so I have an idea what to look for.

Thanks in advance folks.
Rod

9MX
10-05-2004, 23:14
i guess that pretty much covers it. if you see a crack, doesn't matter how bad it is, have them replace it. for the price of their ammo, you have every right to demand a replacement.

best way to inspect ammo is to do a bullet gauge on you're barrel, this would mean field stripping your pistol

Eye Cutter
10-05-2004, 23:14
turn the ammo box upside down and tap it on top of a table. any brass with loose primer pockets will dislodge the primers. visually inspect for misaligned primers.

get a quality ammo gauge (dillon, egw) for your reloads. pang check ng mga tabingi pagka load and mga buntis na bala.

always indicate your load data on your ammo box. brand and type of powder, load, head, seating depth. wag mo lang sabihin minor or major load. ex: 4.1gr AP-70, 124gr fmj 9mm, oal=1.160 in.

discard all brass/ammo with cracks

Eye Cutter
10-05-2004, 23:16
in a pinch, pwede na sa barrel mag check, pero iba pa rin ang bullet gauge.

bilhin mo yung dillon brand.

batangueno
10-05-2004, 23:49
Kung sisipagin ka pa, try to check for a loose crimp. Push the cartridge against a flat solid surface using your thumb behind it, not too strong just enough to push you away if you're seated on a roller chair. If the length of the cartridge did not change then that's ok.

agentrod
10-06-2004, 00:31
Sirs,

I will be doing these things after I buy the reloads and before loading them during the session, I think doing a bullet gauge check would take to long - what can be / are there catastrophic effects of not doing the bullet gauge check (besides jamming)?

julianz
10-06-2004, 00:47
Originally posted by agentrod
Sirs,

I will be doing these things after I buy the reloads and before loading them during the session, I think doing a bullet gauge check would take to long - what can be / are there catastrophic effects of not doing the bullet gauge check (besides jamming)?

KABOOM

9MX
10-06-2004, 04:05
Originally posted by julianz
KABOOM

^4

Eye Cutter
10-06-2004, 04:24
nakakita ka na ba ng nasabugan sa kamay while trying to clear a stuck buntis cartridge in the barrel? pag hampas ng bala sa extractor, kaboom!

cebuboy
10-06-2004, 04:50
since there is a discussion on another thread on buldging cases and I'm quite worried since I shoot reloads bought from the range I visit (usually Northstar).

Lately I have been checking for:
* Buntis (buldging) brass - I ask them to replace it if visually I dont like the budlge.
* Crack on the brass - I usually see a couple with cracks at the lip, what extent is OK?
* I check if all are 9mm cases - since I've read horror stories of wrong caliber cases destroying a gun.
* I check if the primers are alligned - easy to do quickly, I've seen a photo of a misaligned primer so I have an idea what to look for.

hi rod, thats me with them bulging cases. i always do the above checks:) and now will also add the crimp check and bullet guage check. also use quality brass(ie rpa) lesson learned the hard way:) had one blew off my mag, i'm just lucky i got away with a burnt finger:) and btw, after shooting the first 10 rounds of you reloads, check the brass for signs(ie bulging, cracking, blown primer). the case failure i experienced just made me a bit careful.

agentrod
10-06-2004, 04:53
OK. So I do need to spend time to inspect them reloads first...

Thanks for the tips (and words of caution).

Rod

cebuboy
10-06-2004, 05:25
OK. So I do need to spend time to inspect them reloads first...

hehe before, i would just check the brass, now, i would inspect before and after reloading:)

DarkAngel66
10-06-2004, 05:58
So who do the BOG guys trust with their reloads?

I personally use TRUE WEIGHT reloads exclusively. Are they OK? So Far I have not had any problems with them. Any other shop recommendations?
Thanks.

New_comer
10-06-2004, 06:18
Tried PBD reloads once, particularly the plated ones. Lead too soft and inaccurate thru my USP.

Discovered True Weight with their hard cast lead, teflon and TMJ bullets, and never looked back. 3 years na ko doon. sila pa ang nagsasabing sira na yung shells. I often encounter 2 or 3 per visit na rejected na nila.

Great price na, pwede pang hintayin. ^c

Malayo nga lang sa min, kailangan dayuhin ko pa ;g

ogiebb
10-06-2004, 08:03
i load my own for reliability and just because maarte ako at ayoko sumabog ang baril ko...when i was in the PI one company over in Quezon City ;Q double charged my buddies ammo for a para p16 and KABOOM..so know your reloading source see if they practice safety in reloading..get yourself a case gauge(dillon,EGW) and a Caliper.. inspect the sides of the cases,place the ammo in the case gauge sweep your thumb across and see if its a "high primer" or "low" ...if you have a high primer this could hit the breechface of your gun and blow up kung "low" hinde sya mag detonate.. case gauges and calipers are much more cheaper than your gun,eyes and even your life... hope this helps;)

DA_NINJA
10-06-2004, 08:17
How about the reloads of armscor. Can anyone vouch or give their opinion/s or experience/s from their reloads. If possible, can someone please give a rough estimate on how many time/s can one use their brass (9mm or .45), if a newbie could not get hold of any measuring equipment for their brass. Thanks in advance.

julianz
10-06-2004, 08:39
my clubmates also go to TruWeight for reloads,i got my 100+ in bulacan 20% have bulges and at least 5 % have loose heads ..so i spent almost an hour to inspect each loads and make sure every single load fits my barrel ..hassle talaga so ill most likely go to Tru Weight and pasyalan si Grace Tan:drool:

Eye Cutter
10-06-2004, 09:06
sira na yata yung case resizer ng reloading machine ng PB kasi ang daming buntis kahit bago or once fired brass.

true weight is ok. mas mura pa.

Valor1
10-06-2004, 09:06
One more vote for True Weight. Great prices on reloads. Iba na rin kasi kung ang may-ari ay active pa sa shooting.

Eye Cutter
10-06-2004, 09:13
reloads lang yata ang reasonable ang presyo sa true weight! Si Taurus sa TW din nagpapaload.

9MX
10-06-2004, 09:50
Armscor - fairly ok since you can talk to the person doing the actual reloading. though every now and then (1 out of 300 in my experience) an dud can be encountered mostly due to a deformed primer. I just return it to them for reloading.

Stronghand - Also ok, suki dito si PPTS and lately si Shihan

True Weight - Tama si doc, ito lang ang mura dito. pero parang mausok ang powder niya.

Of the three, si Stronghand ang gumagamit ng VN3xx powder, xx kasi di ko matandaan e;f

But no matter who does your reloads, you have to inspect your ammo. Also, know your load data with respect to the materials used by your reloader. If not, either parang kabayo ang baril mo sa lakas or too weak to cycle.;e

Taurus
10-07-2004, 09:38
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
Si Taurus sa TW din nagpapaload.

Yep. Never had much of a problem with their reloads. No jams, no double feeds and fairly consistent bullet weight and velocity. And, unlike PB, they will check your shells before reloading. Cracked shells for example will not escape scrutiny.

New_comer
10-07-2004, 11:09
Originally posted by Taurus
Yep. Never had much of a problem with their reloads. No jams, no double feeds and fairly consistent bullet weight and velocity. And, unlike PB, they will check your shells before reloading. Cracked shells for example will not escape scrutiny. Agree with the last two statements, pero sa ermita cup, bagsak yung mga 45 reload ko sa kanila. nag 700-730 fps lang yung 6 sa 8 samples, yung 210gr. Me room for improvement pa naman pag dating sa consistency. ;Q

jasonub
10-08-2004, 06:52
i reload since if it kabooms it will be my fault. but for reloads ill go to stronghand. 3.75 each pesos per 1000. 4 pesos for 500 up.

and they use VV powder which is clean and very accurate/consistent.

Their heads rock in terms of consistency. for 191 grains plated heads out of a sample of 10 you get from 191.3-191.7 grains.

for lead its 181.2-181.4.

translation with vv n320 and my pistol, 1 hole groups to 25 meters using a rest. less than 1" for my svi,

Fonzy
10-10-2004, 01:28
err... saan, ano yung true weight? magkano reload nila? ;Q ^8

thanks

:cool:

9MX
10-10-2004, 03:09
Originally posted by Fonzy
err... saan, ano yung true weight? magkano reload nila? ;Q ^8

thanks

:cool:

along araneta ave., coming from sm centerpoint look to your left after crossing e. rodriguez

batangueno
10-10-2004, 20:21
Originally posted by jasonub
but for reloads ill go to stronghand. 3.75 each pesos per 1000. 4 pesos for 500 up.

and they use VV powder which is clean and very accurate/consistent.
That's right. If you want to get commercial reloads, sa Stronghand pinaka maganda. Ang kintab pa ng basyo niyo.

mikey177
10-11-2004, 21:56
Would you consider a round "buntis" if it fits into the bullet gauge/barrel but is a bit difficult to remove. The round doesn't fall out freely, but rather, you have to yank it out with your fingers with a bit of force. Buntis po ba pag ganito?

Also, how much does a Dillon bullet gauge cost? Is it really far superior to other bullet gauges? A local store here in Pangasinan sells a locally-made bullet gauge for P800, is that a good price?

JuDGe
10-11-2004, 22:04
Parang semi buntis siguro... i also had a couple of rounds like those, pero i separate them and just use them for practice and not for matches.

I got my Dillon Bullet Gauge for P800 din ata from Laiza, the local one from TP is about P350. Pero hanep naman yung bullet gauge ni TP pati buntis pasok dun sa gauge! My advise is to stick with the Dillon.

Cheers! ;f

9MX
10-11-2004, 22:22
Originally posted by JuDGe
Parang semi buntis siguro... i also had a couple of rounds like those, pero i separate them and just use them for practice and not for matches.

I got my Dillon Bullet Gauge for P800 din ata from Laiza, the local one from TP is about P350. Pero hanep naman yung bullet gauge ni TP pati buntis pasok dun sa gauge! My advise is to stick with the Dillon.

Cheers! ;f

correction, P650 ang bullet gauge kay tp;e swangit pa.

mikey,

i suggest you bring your barrel or a new bullet to a machine shop. tell them what you need and how it should work. and tada! may bullet gauge ka na:cool:

mikey177
10-11-2004, 22:34
Okay, thanks guys. I think I'll get a Dillon gauge the next time I'm in QC. Do the stores sell these during gun shows? Maybe it'll be cheaper then.

JuDGe
10-11-2004, 22:38
Originally posted by 9MX
correction, P650 ang bullet gauge kay tp;e swangit pa.

P350 lang bigay sa akin ah!.... kaya siguro one size fits all! ;f

Hassle pa yang machine shop na yan.... just go and get a dillon gauge or just use your barrel chamber to check your reloads mas sigurado ka pa! ;f

Eye Cutter
10-11-2004, 23:07
bumili ka na lang kay laiza. P800 ang dillon. internet price is $10 + $7 s&h so P952 na din yun. unless you have a relative who's coming home, pabili ka sa tate.

tigra
10-11-2004, 23:28
Mga sir, meron din po sa Trust Trade MCS. P750 ata kuha ko.:)

Valor1
10-12-2004, 00:13
galing talaga iyang si TP sa pag-update ng pricing nya. parang pinanganak na kakambal ng Brownells. Ang galing pa ng price difference very slightly cheaper than US made parts (with their expensive labor and other production costs).

ogiebb
10-12-2004, 05:54
if the ammo doesnt drop freely or is not easily yanked out, wag mo gamitin sa match baka hinde kaya ng extractor tangalin ..kung papabili ka sa tate, EGW na gauge yung kunin mo..a case gauge is worth it..no more screwups during a match due to "buntis na loads"