At my wits end.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : At my wits end....

10-07-2004, 15:51
Well, my son was using my 'puter the other day, and things are messed up. Whenever I open a new browser (IE 6.0), it goes to some goober search page and also has an extra search bar up top (make sense??). I've gone to Internet Options and used the "Apply Blank" option for my homepage, both on the open browser and in the Control panel, but it won't 'take' (yes, I hit the Apply button). Have tried the "Lock Toolbar" option to get rid of the extra search bar, but no luck there either,

Really starting to irritate me... :(

Other than get rid of IE, how can I fix it????

chevrofreak
10-07-2004, 16:03
adaware

also, what is the new toolbar called? try uninstalling it. then kick your son in the ass.

proguncali
10-07-2004, 16:04
Originally posted by chevrofreak
adaware

also, what is the new toolbar called? try uninstalling it. then kick your son in the ass.

After you do that, download Firefox and use it.

IndyGunFreak
10-07-2004, 16:29
Look in your Add/Remove programs, you'll probably be able to see whatever is causing this problem(your browser has been hijacked).. Most likely he downloaded something.

As Chevro said, download Adaware and Spybot, update, and run them, and you should be ok.

IGF

Delta
10-07-2004, 16:31
Originally posted by sjstill
Well, my son was using my 'puter the other day, and things are messed up. Whenever I open a new browser (IE 6.0), it goes to some goober search page and also has an extra search bar up top (make sense??). I've gone to Internet Options and used the "Apply Blank" option for my homepage, both on the open browser and in the Control panel, but it won't 'take' (yes, I hit the Apply button). Have tried the "Lock Toolbar" option to get rid of the extra search bar, but no luck there either,

Really starting to irritate me... :(

Other than get rid of IE, how can I fix it????

Reload IE6 and reset the options,
The toolbar is located under (view) click toolbars and look for the unwanted options and click them off.

B

10-07-2004, 17:39
223 bad things on my 'puter ;P

That Ad-Aware stuff rocks ;f ;f Thanks everyone!! Everything looks normal now. I don't know the name of that extra search bar, just called it search bar when I right clicked. Gone now ;f

chevrofreak
10-07-2004, 18:18
now about the boot to ass thing....

10-07-2004, 18:37
Oh, yeah, that's take care of too ;z

proguncali
10-07-2004, 19:29
Originally posted by sjstill
223 bad things on my 'puter ;P

That Ad-Aware stuff rocks ;f ;f Thanks everyone!! Everything looks normal now. I don't know the name of that extra search bar, just called it search bar when I right clicked. Gone now ;f

But did you un-install it? If you didn't it's still there.

After you take care of that, go here:http://www.mozilla.org/ download and install Firefox. No more pop-ups, spyware etc.

Plus you can do tabbed browsing....

lomfs24
10-07-2004, 19:35
I second the Firefox suggestion. It is a great browser and it will take care of a lot of problems

NetNinja
10-07-2004, 20:23
Read the sticky at the top of this forum.

I think I should put that line in my sig ;)

10-07-2004, 20:30
Had I known that was my problem, I would have read the sticky.

Heck, had I known what the problem was, I wouldn't have needed to ask....

fastvfr
10-09-2004, 00:23
BAD NEWS.

Even Spybot does not remove the entire application most Browser Hijackers use to implant themselves.

I suggest you go to Trend's (housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp) excellent online scanning site post-haste and see how many backdoor.installer trojans and other assorted viruses you have been blessed with as well.

Then kick his butt again if it finds a bunch of them.

Good luck,

FastVFR

10-09-2004, 06:21
I'll try that, thanks.

Between Ad-Aware & Spybot, I *think* I'm clean, but it never hurts to double check.

Downloaded Firefox as suggested. It won't import my favorites from IE, but othr than that, its OK.

Thanks again for all the help!

fastvfr
10-09-2004, 10:30
Well, sure it will!

You just open your IE, and flick File> Import & Export.

Send the favorites to the desktop, then open Firefox.

Click on Bookmark> Edit Bookmarks, then Tools> Import and guide it to the file on your desktop that IE built.

Simple as that. Both use HTML for their Faves, and transferring from one to the other has always worked for me.

Good luck,

FastVFR

10-09-2004, 12:44
;W ;W ;W ;W

m1911a1
10-09-2004, 19:42
take and pack your PC in a solid block of C-4 , apply dets , cover in 10,000 lbs of wet soil and set it off ...
then go buy an apple laptop...;z ;a ;f

trust me , you'll be much happier...

Alpha752
10-09-2004, 22:29
Ill third Firefox, it is 1000000 times better then IE. No popups, and tabbed browsing rocks!