STANDBY Wher'd it come from, how to get rid of it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : STANDBY Wher'd it come from, how to get rid of it?

bobbitybobbity
10-07-2004, 21:36
All of a sudden, my computer tells me it's going on "standby" about every 3-4 minutes. When I click no, it comes back again. About every 10-12 minutes, it goes black, then the page comes back, but it's offline. HEEELP!!!:( :( :(

Glock Bob
10-07-2004, 22:30
I assume you're running Windows, so, try this:

Goto "Power Options" (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Power Options). At the bottom should be a list called "System Standby." Make sure it says "Never."

bobbitybobbity
10-07-2004, 22:40
I did find that stuff. However, it says hibernate, rather than standby. It's set for never. Now what? Could this be an email bug? I am barely literate in things computer.;g

Glock Bob
10-07-2004, 23:02
Standby should be above Hibernate.

It could be spyware or even a virus. However, I'm not sure why any hacker would waste time creating such useless code. If you don't already have it, get Spybot - Search and Destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) and let it scan your system. Alot of problems are caused by spyware. This program will get rid of the majority of them, if not all.

fastvfr
10-09-2004, 00:17
Let me suggest another free malware-scanning application, Ad-Aware 6 Personal.

Spybot and AAW are both excellent, and each will find things the other does not. In this way they complement each other perfectly...even if SB1.3 points out that AAW might find its .dat files and try to remove them. I have never had that happen, however, and I install these two appies together probably five hundred times a year.

Best regards,

FastVFR

Don At PC
10-09-2004, 06:07
Ad-Aware has a new one out called Ad-Aware SE Personal and it is still free. I just replaced my Ad-Aware 6 with this new one and it finds even more stuff than 6 did. Works great and gets along nicely with SpyBot and Trendmicro PC-Cillin Internet Security. Makes for a great team effort.