Ink Refill Kits? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ink Refill Kits?

mossy500camo
10-07-2004, 22:16
I have a HP DeskJet 3320 printer. It uses ink little theres no tommrrow. I was just wandering if these ink refill kits like you see in WalMart and other places are worth the time and effort(Also the Money) My printer uses the HP 28 color cartridge. I really dont know if it can be refilled or not. Any info out there?;4

Bronson7
10-08-2004, 10:44
Mossy, the first thing I would do is Google it. Many inkjet refill sites out there and you'll be able to find info pertaining to your cartridge.
Bronson7

fastvfr
10-08-2004, 23:50
One thing: DO NOT follow most kits' instructions for refilling!!

I own an HP PSC500, which isn't too bad but is sort of old. The cartridges use a ball-bearing type of seal in the UNDERSIDE of the ink reservoir to fill them at the factory. The kit I bought had the correct ink, but the plug was about 1/3 of the size I would have needed to use to plug that hole...had I gone that route.

Instead, I used the Makita on Slow speed, with the tiniest drill bit I had on hand, and an old pair of scratched-up sunglasses to do the job the WECSOG way.

I just punched the hole into the top-center of the cartridge body and refilled through it.

BTW, don't worry about dropping in a few burrs-all of these cartridges use a small sponge at the bottom, before the printheads, to filter the ink anyway; that's also why you can't refill an inkjet cartridge that has been empty long enough to dry out. The ink just can't get through if the sponge is hard.

Anyway, I used the syringe to fill the cartridge, then screwed one of the tiny temple screws into the hole halfway; then I placed a tiny bit of Rubber Cement (to prevent possible air leaks from drying my new ink supply out) on the exposed screw shank and tightened it down.

That was almost a year ago. And it is still half-full, running perfectly with great-looking print jobs the rule. I did the same thing to the Color Cartridge, but since it has three compartments, I snagged a cheap Eyeglass Repair Kit along with the refill kit, as a source for the additional screws I needed!

That worked just as well, though I needed to straighten out a paperclip and insert it into the holes to see which ink went where...it was actually sort of fun, saving money like this!

Just make sure you get the proper type of ink, as some refills will work great in a Canon, but might be too thick for use in an HP or a Lexmark...compatibility is the key.

Then toss the 'plugs' the kit comes with unless you like making huge, nasty, printer-wrecking messes.

In my line of work I have seen far too many expensive printers ruined by folks who wanted to save a few bucks on overpriced ink, and who "Followed the directions" but found the directions to be their undoing, so consider yourself warned.

Good luck,

FastVFR