Point and Shoot Fanatics... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Point and Shoot Fanatics...

Zebulon
10-08-2004, 08:23
This is my first posting here...After many years away from a desire to shoot film, and the advent of Digital everything and Software to match, do any of you , or have any of you had an itch to explore the possibilities of point and shoot film cameras? Personally, I'm up to here with Technology period...Just want to get away from it.....I'm old, I'm poor, but still have the desire to find interesting images, without the desire or ability to manipulate them artificially....I have'nt done a search for my answer on the Forum, but I'd like to hear from any of you who find this interesting...I'll wait....and Thank you....Zebulon

hwyhobo
10-08-2004, 08:41
Plenty of point-and-shoot digital cameras on the market. There have also been many photographers in the past who used non-SLR cameras. They do have distinct advantages over their bigger brethren for some types of photography (portability and speed of deployment being perhaps the strongest ones).

What exactly did you have in mind?

Zebulon
10-08-2004, 09:02
I'm not exactly sure............I recently picked up a couple P/S cameras..an old Nikon One Touch and a Fujica T4 and hope to pick up an Olympus XA or XA-4 just to see what I can do with them. I've been away from cameras all together for about 25 years. I'm interested in seeing what can be done with the bare minimum of equipment and technology to see if fine photographs can still be produced....Zebulon

Zebulon
10-09-2004, 21:15
Wow! I must have hit a vein! Not much interest in this huh? Zebulon, The Non-Digital Simpleton....any suggestions as to where this subject might be more appropriate? Thanks.............

hile
10-10-2004, 06:33
I don't shoot digital either, but I haven't shot with a P&S film camera in some months (ever since I liberated my dad's SLR from him). That said, the biggest place I have a use for one (given that I live in a university town) is if I am out in the bars or at a party. I woudln't want to lug my SLR along when I was drinking.

General Sherman
10-12-2004, 04:50
Olympus makes some fine P&S cameras. Probably the best maker.
Some are water resistant too.
The XA series are collectors items. See www.KEH.com

Mild Bill
10-16-2004, 19:38
Originally posted by Zebulon
Wow! I must have hit a vein! Not much interest in this huh? Zebulon, The Non-Digital Simpleton....any suggestions as to where this subject might be more appropriate? Thanks.............
Ha! :)
Damn Zeb, it's not the year 2075!
Most of us "just recently" put away our film/point and shoot cameras...
You're gettin' all nostalgic, like you're hoping to resurrect an ancient art form. :)

Along with digital I like to shoot film still...
Among others I have an Olympus IS-20... It's not a point and shoot, it's an SLR, but it's just as easy as one...
(An SLR means that when you're looking in the viewfinder, you're actually looking through the lens.
With point and shoot you're not...)
It's pretty automatic, takes great pictures, looks cool, and is easy to use...
You can get them real cheap now on Ebay...
That's a real cool thing about film cameras now...

http://static.zoovy.com/img/fraidy/-/olympus_is_20_qd.jpg

;c