gunsmithing courses [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : gunsmithing courses

jundeleon
10-09-2004, 21:47
Are there gunsmithing courses being conducted here in the Phils for hobbyists?

9MX
10-10-2004, 03:24
Originally posted by jundeleon
Are there gunsmithing courses being conducted here in the Phils for hobbyists?

pards,

sa tate lang ata meron nito. if i'm not mistaken, our gunsmiths here just pass the know how to their children.

which brings me to a question for all bogs, do you know any of our local gunsmiths who underwent formal training for their trade?

Valor1
10-10-2004, 05:12
You can take machining courses (lathe and milling), buy some books, buy some videos, and give your gunsmith friend some sleepless nights for a thousand questions.

I inquired on the Colorado School of Gunsmithing and they quoted at somewhere a million pesos (converted from dollar amount) for the whole course.

9MX,
that is one reason why we need to be careful in choosing gunsmiths. most of them are backyard machinists and a only a few can be considered "smiths." there is even one idiot in QC who claims that he studied in the USA even dropping the name of Armand Swenson and claiming that he is a member of the American Pistolsmith Guild, a weapons designer and already got tired of 1911's, manufactures and sells parts that are just plain copys and even trying to sell them at high prices, etc.

ogiebb
10-10-2004, 15:17
im trying to learn how to build my own stuff ..im taking some vocational courses via Community college (machining)mostly on milling and learning from my gunsmith and buddy..i started practicing on a charles daly (kalas at buo ,polishing and ETC)...im about to try to do some slide to frame fits, hmm akala ko dati kikil lang ang katapat nito mahirap din pala he he all i ever do is measure everything with a caliper..:)

mc_oliver
10-10-2004, 18:05
Originally posted by ogiebb
... hmm akala ko dati kikil lang ang katapat nito mahirap din pala he he all i ever do is measure everything with a caliper..:)
Hehe, I graduated the kikil and sandpaper phase. I'm now close to finishing my dremel course. Next stop, yung caliper measurements. ;f

New_comer
10-10-2004, 18:39
What is the one machine needed to do all but the most complex gunsmithing job? Like being able to install your own Bomar rear sight... ^8

ogiebb
10-10-2004, 19:45
kung pang "Big time" you can do almost everything on a CNC machine...kaso putsa ang MAHAL!!!! meron mga mura kaso mas malaki lang gastos mo sa kakaayos..actually mill lang ang kailangan mo to do the cuts and everything(bomar cuts,slide lighthening,cosmetics) yung fitting mostly kalangan mo lang dremel tool at stoning tools.. kung pang "small time" a regular "Ankio" milling machine will do....;)

mc_oliver
10-10-2004, 21:13
Getting a good 2nd hand milling machine is one thing. Spending the big bukos on the different drill bits is another.

ogiebb
10-10-2004, 21:16
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Getting a good 2nd hand milling machine is one thing. Spending the big bukos on the different drill bits is another.

lalo na yung pang titanium ...tsk tsk tsk...:soap: :soap:

paltik45
10-10-2004, 21:35
Ogiebb try to visit this site you can get some tips on Milling operations and gunsmithing. www.roderuscustom.tzo.com I dont have any formal training on milling but I sure learned a lot of stuff on this site. I am using a table mill from www.harborfeight.com model# 44991-0vga for $350.00 (sale). This mill is good for starters and "Garagesmiths". CNC is good but not realy necessary because of the tooling and set-up time not unless you are planning to do "Mass production". Milling and Lathe machine will just speed up the process of gunsmithing and it will provide precision cuts. But at the end you will still have to go back to "files and Honing stones". I always put in mind that gunsmithing is a fine art just like jewelry making.
Last but not the least......"Measure twice and cut once.":)

paltik45
10-10-2004, 21:39
Originally posted by New_comer
What is the one machine needed to do all but the most complex gunsmithing job? Like being able to install your own Bomar rear sight... ^8

Sir a milling machine will get this job done.;)