Gripping [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gripping

Fonzy
10-10-2004, 01:39
what's your style? soft, medium, heavy, 40/60, 50/50

mine is still inconsistent, that's why i'm having a hard time with those darn round plates (at long distances).

how much pressure should i exert to gain stability and reliability shot per shot?

salamat po sa magre-reply

:cool:

New_comer
10-10-2004, 03:43
Here's a popular guide to know what you're doing wrong. One look and you'll relize that accuracy is not a function of how hard you grip. On the contrary, consciously squeezing the grip may even aggravate your 'sickness'. Front sight, tapos 'finger-in' mo lang (pardon my french) :cool:

Hope this helps. ;)

http://www.sportshooter.com/improving/images/correction_chart.gif

DA_NINJA
10-10-2004, 03:59
Try this...
http://www.glockfaq.com/trigger.htm#follow
and this...
http://www.glockfaq.com/shooting.htm

Fonzy
10-10-2004, 05:32
new comer,
thanks for the graphics. i'm thinking of printing it, and bring it to the range to analyze my shots. :)

da_ninja,
lots of important stuffs in the link you attached. i will summarize the good points, print and paste it in my room. :)

being a newbie, i don't exactly know what's going on. i cannot read my shots, whether the miss hit was due to aiming (zeroing) or trigger control. these are the two factors that's disturbing me a lot when i'm on the line firing (especially round plates in long distances).

dami pang ibang factors, power of reload, distance, flinching, psychological, etc. anyway, parang picture puzzle lang siguro yan. along the way mas magiging clearer, hanggang sa mabuo at makita kung anu yung picture (sight picture ;f ).

cheers to bogs, daming handang tumulong...

Allegra
10-10-2004, 07:07
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fonzy
[B]new comer,
thanks for the graphics. i'm thinking of printing it, and bring it to the range to analyze my shots. :)

da_ninja,
lots of important stuffs in the link you attached. i will summarize the good points, print and paste it in my room. :)

being a newbie, i don't exactly know what's going on. i cannot read my shots, whether the miss hit was due to aiming (zeroing) or trigger control. these are the two factors that's disturbing me a lot when i'm on the line firing (especially round plates in long distances).

dami pang ibang factors, power of reload, distance, flinching, psychological, etc. anyway, parang picture puzzle lang siguro yan. along the way mas magiging clearer, hanggang sa mabuo at makita kung anu yung picture (sight picture ;f ).

YUour having info overload dude
magdry fire ka nalang sa white wall for a week paying attention to your sights
kung wala kang gingawa or nanunuod ka lang ng tv, hawakan mo nng hawakan baril mo to familiarize your hands sa kanya
Dont worry too much sa iba details, ako nga nalilito pa mag field strip ng baril eh

Eye Cutter
10-10-2004, 07:37
fonzy: wag maniwala ka kay allegra! ginu-good-time ka lang niyan! world class shooter yan! hahahaha!!!

seriously, tama advice ni fafa. dry fire lang katapat nyan para masanay ka sa trigger pull ng pistol mo. ano nga ba gamit mo?

the grip should be 60-40, 70-30, depende sa iyo, para relaxed trigger finger, hindi sakal kumalabit. yung heels ng palms should almost meet at the back of the grip.

try to keep the sights aligned and steady as the hammer breaks. tignan mo kung kumakalog, nag-di-dip, pumupunta sa kaliwa o kanan front sight mo as you pull the trigger.

Allegra
10-10-2004, 08:01
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eye Cutter
[B]fonzy: wag maniwala ka kay allegra! ginu-good-time ka lang niyan! world class shooter yan! hahahaha!!!

Nyaah!! Hindi po ako world class!
Nag sisimula pa lang po sa ipsc , lumubog na :)

batangueno
10-10-2004, 20:06
Originally posted by Fonzy
new comer,
Yes you can stick it on your target board and shoot at it.

mc_oliver
10-10-2004, 20:32
The chart is helpful if there's a noticeable grouping in your shoots. But if you have a shotgun pattern, medyo marami-rami'ng problem areas ang kelangan mo i-identify.

As mentioned, dry fire as much as you can.

Most beginning shooters I see fiddle with their grip mid-string. Yung mga adjust ng adjust ng grip after every shot. This is very bad. Cure this first either by increasing traction in your gun's grips, using an anti-perspirant in you hands or just plain telling yourself to stop re-gripping.

Or judging from your question, stop looking for that perfect grip. Just hold the gun enough that it won't fall or fly off during recoil. Stick to it and start working on the trigger. Resist the urge to muscle the gun down and just let it recoil.

;)

jasonub
10-10-2004, 20:36
hold it like you hold a hammer (for your strong hand),not too light that it flies away, not to heavy that you will loose control and hit your finger.

if you want you can give 60/40 or 70/30 the heavier pressure comes from the support hand.

good luck

Fonzy
10-12-2004, 04:03
thanks brods,

i think my problem is recoil anticipation, tightening my grip (or lack of it) just as the shot breaks, its hard to fool the mind (of a newbie) for that surprise break.

pero alam ko na 'cure'... more dry fire, and use of dummy round mixed with live round (in a magazine).

sana yun na nga ;f,

SMBeerDealer
10-12-2004, 04:51
thanks brods,

i think my problem is recoil anticipation, tightening my grip (or lack of it) just as the shot breaks, its hard to fool the mind (of a newbie) for that surprise break.

pero alam ko na 'cure'... more dry fire, and use of dummy round mixed with live round (in a magazine).

sana yun na nga ;f,

Hey Fonzy. I'm a newbie just like you but dry firing and loosening my grip greatly improved my accuracy. As Eye Cutter mentioned, 70/30 grip helped me in hitting those metal plates, even at 25 meters.

Reminder though, if you're using a pistol with a hammer, it would help putting a cigarette but in between the hammer and the firing pin striker in addition to the dummy round. Broke the firing pin in my Beretta into three dry-firing between 1 to 2 hrs a day the past 3mos. It'll greatly lessen the anticipation, flinching, etc. and in turn improve your accuracy. Just imagine you're dry firing when you're using live ammo.

Oh, one more thing. Instead of having live rounds in your magazine, why not try to have someone load some shells with some heads without the primers and powder and color those "practice shells" to get used to the weight. Might accidentally rack the slide and put a live round in the chamber when dry-firing. Just my 2 cents. :)

Hope my newbie advice would be of some help. ;f

Eye Cutter
10-12-2004, 05:36
kung nagugulat ka at nag-fli-flinch, nag-a-anticipate, mag double plug ka, ear plug plus ear muffs. use quality eye protection also. baka pati yung blast wave nararamdaman mo sa face.

Eye Cutter
10-12-2004, 05:37
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/eyecutter/100_1407.jpg

ganito yung palaman sa hammer para di mabali firing pin

New_comer
10-12-2004, 07:39
thanks brods,

sana yun na nga ;f,

:cool: There you go... Yung flinch is all in the mind.

Learn to desensitize yourself from the loud report and the jerking movement of the recoiling gun. Convince yourself that the firearm deserves your trust and is just doing its job.

Now you just do yours: Aim small, hold your breath, then just let it fly... ;)

Allegra
10-12-2004, 22:40
[B]thanks brods,

Teka kung ratratero ka, meron parang flinching pag nag dud bigla ang baril mo
Hindi flinching yun
Thats called post ignition push
Inaanticpate ng kamay mo yung recoil , e bigla dud, parang flinching din

mc_oliver
10-12-2004, 23:33
Originally posted by Allegra
[B]Teka kung ratratero ka, meron parang flinching pag nag dud bigla ang baril mo
Hindi flinching yun
Thats called post ignition push
Inaanticpate ng kamay mo yung recoil , e bigla dud, parang flinching din
And it happens after the gun has fired, not before. ;)