Why is the best music always on movie soundtracks? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why is the best music always on movie soundtracks?

WolfmanGK
10-10-2004, 15:20
For example:

Ginger Snaps "Theme"
Butterfly Effect "Kayleigh's Funeral"
Of course there is "Adagio for Strings" (It was on a movie but nto made for it) by Samuel Barber

Try finding music like that produced by some record-label artist or group.

Non movie music I like that somewhat fits the genre (Whatever it may be):

Evanescence "Fields of Innocence"
The beginning portion of Beethovens "Moonlight Sonata"
Robert Miles "Children"
Lacuna Coil "Heir of a dying day"

But it seems to me the most emotional music is made for the movie.

There are many more good soundtracks (By soundtrack I mean "Made for the movie" orchestral or other types of msuic) in movies I have not bothered to look up.

I have also gathered that what I consider good music along the lines of Adagio for Strings does not jive with most peoples idea of similar music. For example, there was a thread on GT a while back where the poster said he was listening to Evanescence's "My Immortal", and it almost brought him to tears.

I have heard the song on the radio, and it did nothing for me. I understand this song is quite popular for evoking similar reactions out of the majority of the public, whereas hardly any non Evanescence fan has heard of "Fields of Innocence" which is one of my favorite songs.

Thoughts?

chevrofreak
10-10-2004, 18:08
Children kicks ass!

1911lover
10-10-2004, 19:23
"Vindicated" dashboard confessionals- spideran 2

WolfmanGK
10-10-2004, 21:37
That's what I mean, I am listening to that song (Vindicated) right now, and it doesn't inspire anything in me.

1911lover
10-10-2004, 22:10
i have not yet heard music from a soundtrack, or just from the movie, that just gives me the sesnse from the movie, and goes together perfectly, besides howard sho's work on lord of the reings, which i am playin on my fiddle now

WolfmanGK
10-11-2004, 11:27
Another good non movie song is Denean "Children".

Biker13
10-15-2004, 10:25
I've enjoyed just about everything Ry Cooder has done for the film industry. Especially the soundtrack to The Long Riders and the soundtrack to Crossroads.
Biker13;c

fastvfr
10-16-2004, 15:40
The Pulp Fiction soundtrack is a good collection as well! ;)

J/K...

But yeah, I like much of Samuel Barber's music, and actually I am listening to his Symphony No. 1, Op. 9, done by Robert Spano and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra as I type this.

BTW, though he hasn't done anything that has been on a soundtrack that I know of, Christopher Theofanidis has some really good ideas about how to compose decent music. Especially for a guy about my age!

Telarc released the 'Rainbow Body' CD last year, and it isn't too bad. Also features Aaron Copland and Jennifer Higdon, doing her beautiful Blue Cathedral...

Best regards,

FastVFR

ProfMoriarty
10-20-2004, 18:28
"To Live and Die in LA" by Wang Chung and the "Manhunter" soundtracks were excellent and defined the mood of both flicks.

"The Breakfast Club" sound track was a lot of bubble gum, except for the Simple Minds, "(Dont you)forget about me" cut, but was appropriate for the movie.

"Blade Runner" soundtrack was perfect for that movie too.

Edit to add "The Warriors".

Sinister Angel
10-20-2004, 21:36
Adagio for strings is classic. No ifs, ands or buts. It worked well for Platoon, very well.

AJE
10-21-2004, 15:40
Originally posted by WolfmanGK
There are many more good soundtracks (By soundtrack I mean "Made for the movie" orchestral or other types of msuic) in movies I have not bothered to look up.

Pirates of the Caribbean has an awesome soundtrack.

(I can never spell Caribbean either... is that right?)

WolfmanGK
10-29-2004, 21:49
Originally posted by Sinister Angel
Adagio for strings is classic. No ifs, ands or buts. It worked well for Platoon, very well.

That's how I feel. The choiral version (Agnus Dei) is even better IMHO. Timeless music kicks ass. :)