warn owners of open wireless networks? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : warn owners of open wireless networks?

frefoo
10-10-2004, 16:22
All,

The list of wireless networks in my area is growing so I can get rid of my cable modem and just my neighbors connection.

That scares me and I would like to warn the people that own the wireless networks that they need to lock it down. The problem is I do not know who these people are.

I could connect to them and print a warning to their printer, However I expect that would be illegal.

Would you try to alert people of open wireless networks, if so how would you go about it?

Thanks

Dave

chevrofreak
10-10-2004, 17:56
There are a few local businesses that dont have any security in place at all, and stupidly have their busines name as the SSID. I've often thought about stopping in to talk to them....

Tennessee Slim
10-10-2004, 18:25
If theyíve left their net so vulnerable, itís doubtful they have the acumen to find out who sent the benevolent and anonymous (hint-hint) message on their printer. If you feel compelled to get involved, I donít see the downside.

AAshooter
10-10-2004, 18:32
Many people don't change the default passwords on their wireless devices. They pull them out of the box and they work. It is very easy to hijack their connection.

You set your wireless wap up to replace theirs and then you log on their wap from your computer. Then when they log on, they are actually logging on your wireless wap connected to your computer. You then forward the traffic through your computer and send it to their wireless wap. They think everything is working fine.

You can copy all their network traffic, log ons, etc and capture it on your computer. Most people don't realize how easy this can be done.

NetNinja
10-11-2004, 15:09
Well if you are that concerned send them a net send message once you have connected to thier network.

Just tell them you are a concerend cyber citizen and that thier wireless network is open to attack and other nasty things.

lomfs24
10-11-2004, 18:58
I have actually made a fairly nice little side buisiness out of this exact problem. I have a wardriving laptop in my car that is running when ever I drive. I also have a GPS unit and all this info is logged to a data base. I can then do searches by location on open networks. I then go into that neighbor hood with door hangers stating possible problems with open networks and state that I also do wireless network security with a phone number. Most people don't even know that wardriving exsists so they just view it as advertisement and don't realize their neighbor hood was targeted.

proguncali
10-11-2004, 22:18
Originally posted by chevrofreak
There are a few local businesses that dont have any security in place at all, and stupidly have their busines name as the SSID. I've often thought about stopping in to talk to them....

I actually got a client like that....

I was doing work in one companies office and hit another WAP. So I walked into their office and let them know what was going on and boom....we're in biz...;f ;f ;f

BikerGoddess
10-13-2004, 16:54
I've thought about it, but that would usually mean cutting off my backup access ;)

Your range is, what?, 5-6 houses in all directions. You can narrow it down by taking a laptop around until the signal gets stronger, then start knocking on doors.

"Hi, you wouldn't happen to have a new wireless router, would you?"

But, I also figure that as long as there are unsecured networks around, mine's a bit safer.

Laura

AAshooter
10-13-2004, 17:22
Originally posted by BikerGoddess
Your range is, what?, 5-6 houses in all directions.

With directional antennas you can pick up people's wireless networks quit a ways. Some are easy to make. Here is a link: http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/features/40546/Pringles_Can_WiFi_Antenna.html

It shows some pretty good antennas you can make out of Pringles cans . . . cantennas!

The problem is, what do you do with all those "potato chips" inside?

lomfs24
10-13-2004, 17:24
Originally posted by AAshooter
With directional antennas you can pick up people's wireless networks quit a ways. Some are easy to make. Here is a link: http://www.g4techtv.com/screensavers/features/40546/Pringles_Can_WiFi_Antenna.html

It shows some pretty good antennas you can make out of Pringles cans . . . cantennas!

The problem is, what do you do with all those "potato chips" inside?

They give you something to eat while you are surfing the net at someone else's expense.