offering my advice/knowledge [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : offering my advice/knowledge

testosterone
10-11-2004, 15:17
Ive been involved in health/fitness/bodybuilding for about 13yrs give or take. In that time Ive taken my body from a skinny 145lbs to a solid 248 at about 10 percent bodyfat before I tore one of my pec muscles. I am now trying to regain my former size/physique..anyways I have alot of practical knowledge and alot of knowledge that Ive gained from reading/watching and asking. I know supplementation and training for those looking to loose fat and for those looking to gain freaky muscle. Please pick my brain. Shoot me a pm if you have any questions or just post on the forum.

SouthernGal
10-12-2004, 11:47
Give me a plan on how I can get those nice washboard abs like Janet Jackson has.

I'm 5'3" and 110 pounds. I'm crunching now, and have some results, but I want real cut. I also run almost every day, at least 2 miles.

What exercises are best and how many reps?

testosterone
10-12-2004, 12:17
what is your diet like? How long have you been running dialy for 2 miles? have you stopped making gains in your progress? Are you taking any supplements now?
w.o this info or knowing your exact structure it will be difficult to design a program to get you abs just like janet jacksons...her genetics make up a great portion of it and the rest falls on her trainers and her will power. its difficult to get rid of that last bit of fat around the midsection..cruntches will help develop the abs but they will do NOTHING for loosing that layer of fat that covers them.
First off I would say that you are more then likely over training if you are running daily. The body adapts to stress very quicky and soon will adjust so that you arent burning fat anymore. Cut your cardio to 4x a week and try to do some different things like running stairs at the local high school bleachers. Also try to do your cardio first thing in the morning before you eat breakfast. this way you body is using fat stores as energy. you also want to look into a thermogenic to help speed up your metabolism. a few products come to mind.
http://www.superiornutraceuticals.com/products/Thermo.htm
http://www.dpsnutrition.net/product_information.asp?number=PD125&back=yes&dept=1111&last=1111

hope that helps a bit.

SouthernGal
10-12-2004, 12:50
Well, firstoff, I'm not a restrictive eater. I pretty much eat whatever I want in moderation. I won't deny myself. I eat a lot of fish and chicken and not very much red meat. I'll eat pork every now and then. I'm a big green veggie fan and broccoli is by far my favorite there, I probably eat at least a head of it a week.

I started running seriously about a month ago due to stress. I'll vary my routine and route and sometimes I'll exercise in the morning (4:15am) and sometimes after work (around 5 or 6pm). The route I'm running does have an incline and I am seeing a noticable difference in the size of my calves at this time. I should also mention that I put the smokes down on the 10th of September and I'm not using the patch or the gum. Cold Turkey. There've been weeks I've run every single day and then there've been weeks where I've only gone for 4 days, but I try to go every single day. I could probably go farther on the runs than 2 miles but if I get tired I just go back to walking the route until I feel like I can run again.

I'm not taking suppliments, other than a daily multivitamin.

From what I'm doing now, I can see some creases and changes in my midsection. I'm pretty small to begin with and I've not had children. I've had those nice rips before but I was 17 then and in gymnastics full time. I'm 33 and too old and worn out for it now (not to mention I don't want to knock my teeth out). I do still tumble about once or twice a month.

testosterone
10-12-2004, 13:02
sounds like you are on the right path...you are eating correctly, alot of people will cut their food intake down too low and slow their metabolism down to the point where the body will not burn fat. 5-6 small, balanced meals is ideal. fish is an excellent source of protein and omega fats..chicken is also an excellent source of protein. sounds like you are getting a good balance of veggies also. make sure you are drinking plenty of water...a gallon a day min....keep on your course, add viatamin c and E and a mineral supplement and if you want to add a thermogenic as i suggested. you might want to wait and see how you progress after increasing your water intake and adding the vitamins/mineral supplemnt. its not gonna happen overnite. also add in a good whey protein supplement. it will help preserve lean muscle mass as well as add it also.

California Jack
10-13-2004, 16:52
Hey Testosterone,

i wouldn't mind some advice too. I'm 44 yo, healthy male, 6'-2" tall. I've been weight training for about 2 years. Mostly doing compound movements; squat, front squat, overhead squat, deadlift, presses, push presses, dips, bent row, and chins. Occassionally I'll throw in something like dumbell swings or one-hand snatch. Usually all exercises are done in the low rep range. I'm more interested in strength rather than hypertrophy.

I think though, I'd like to get into Weightlifting. Currently, to prepare for this, I've been emphasizing Over Head Squats and Romanian deadlifts. What kind of advice do you have for me? Should I try to learn the traditional triple extension style of pulling or should I try the more modern heels only style? If it matters to your answer, coaching will be minimal.

Also, how do you feel about an older lifter like myself learning the split style?

Any advice on books or videos to help me learn?

I'm really eager to get started so I look forward to your advice,
Jack

testosterone
10-14-2004, 13:20
Originally posted by California Jack
Hey Testosterone,

i wouldn't mind some advice too. I'm 44 yo, healthy male, 6'-2" tall. I've been weight training for about 2 years. Mostly doing compound movements; squat, front squat, overhead squat, deadlift, presses, push presses, dips, bent row, and chins. Occassionally I'll throw in something like dumbell swings or one-hand snatch. Usually all exercises are done in the low rep range. I'm more interested in strength rather than hypertrophy.

I think though, I'd like to get into Weightlifting. Currently, to prepare for this, I've been emphasizing Over Head Squats and Romanian deadlifts. What kind of advice do you have for me? Should I try to learn the traditional triple extension style of pulling or should I try the more modern heels only style? If it matters to your answer, coaching will be minimal.

Also, how do you feel about an older lifter like myself learning the split style?

Any advice on books or videos to help me learn?

I'm really eager to get started so I look forward to your advice,
Jack

I will be 100% honest, Ive got some basic knowledge of powerlifting but your questions are more advanced then my area of training (bodybuilding is my main area). but I have forwareded your questions to a few powerlifting buddies of mine and will get their advice and forward it to you. I know alot but im not ashamed to admit when i dont know something. will get back to you soon.

AlB
10-14-2004, 13:28
SouthernGal,
Congrats on starting to run consistently and deciding on a healthier life. I'm impressed with your discipline regarding the smoking and wish you the best of luck staying away from it.

I don't have any advice regarding developing your abs,just wanted to say way to go!

California Jack
10-14-2004, 19:01
Thanks for your honesty Testosterone.

FWIW, I'm asking about the sport of Weightlifting (the Clean and Jerk and the Snatch) not Powerlifting (bench press, squat, deadlift).

Hoping your buddies have info anyway.

Hope to hear from you and them,
Jack

testosterone
10-15-2004, 02:23
it might take me a few days but i will get you the info you want. just be patient with me please. i will come through for you!!

SouthernGal
10-15-2004, 09:28
Originally posted by AlB
SouthernGal,
Congrats on starting to run consistently and deciding on a healthier life. I'm impressed with your discipline regarding the smoking and wish you the best of luck staying away from it.

I don't have any advice regarding developing your abs,just wanted to say way to go!

I've always heard that those things are more addictive than heroin and I never believed it until now. It is getting easier every single day though and there's no way in hell I want to go back to the way I felt the first three days after I quit. It made a real b*tch out of me.

The differences I already feel are pretty noticable, especially where my breathing and congestion are concerned. Funny thing is, I never smoked that heavily so I can't imagine trying to quit a two pack a day habit and what that must be like.

My mom went out on my running route with me night before last and we ended up walking most of the time. She was almost winded and her knees were killing her by the time we were done. I wasn't even winded at all. I felt prety good about that.

I feel like if I can do this on my own I can do anything.

California Jack
10-15-2004, 11:37
it might take me a few days but i will get you the info you want. just be patient with me please. i will come through for you!!

Good deal, thanks..

akbound
11-11-2004, 08:51
California Jack,

Something tells me you already know about these resources ;) but, just in case here are several:

http://www.msbn.tv/usavision/index.aspx (this is for USA Weightlifting.)

http://www.netsweat.com/linkpages/powerlifting_olympic_weightlifting.htm (this is a good resource site.)

http://www.ehow.com/how_16794_olympic-weight-lifting.html (this site has some basic "how to" information. But as I'm sure you already know if you are serious about Olympic stlye weightlifting you need a good, informed, coach! Otherwise the risk of injury is very high!!)

You'll find information and resources concerning weightlifting, plyometrics (good for building speed and power), and of course powerlifting. Additionally there are resources for athletes, coaches, and information concerning events and training!

Hope this helps!

Dave

California Jack
11-11-2004, 22:03
Dave,

Thanks much. I only knew of one of those links, the USAW site.

Yeah, I know coaching is key. I think about the best I can do though is a cyber coach. I'm going to e-mail video and get tips this way. Not the greatest, but better than nothing. If I have anything going on my side it is the idea that I'm going old school and learning the split versions of the lifts.

I don't plan on competeing much. It's just that lifting this way seems much more fun and way less tedious than laying on a bench cranking out reps.

Do you Oly lift?

Jack

akbound
11-12-2004, 07:30
Hi California Jack,

Currently I do not have either a platform or Olympic weights, though I hope to remedy that at some point in the near future. I'd sold all my equipment when we moved across country. Our family suffered a personal tragedy which led to depression and a cessation of all physical exercise of over two years. Obviously I'm not in great shape at nearly fifty years old and a terrible BMI. Though some short time ago I did purchase a good commercial incline/decline bench and DB's in 5lb. increments from 5's through 60's. My goal is to increase that to 100's, build a good platform, and pick up a good set of bumper weights/bar.

The DB's I'll use for auxiliary lifts and to allow me to cycle properly when I start lifting again. But for now they are being used to to assist in the resumption of conditioning. But I will never attempt to lift heavy again and have no goals at this time to attempt competition either. I would like to use it and plyometrics to improve my capacity to enjoy my other pursuits and as an adjunct to increase my usable power capacity.

You might also consider attending sanctioned weightlifting events in your area as a means of meeting both experienced weightlifters and coaches. Frequently many of them are willing to share useful information without charging anything for the service. They'd just like to see the sport expanded safely.

Once again, good luck!

Dave

California Jack
11-12-2004, 10:03
Dave,

I will attend a meet or two. I also plan on taking the club coaches course from USAW.

I would like to use it and plyometrics to improve my capacity to enjoy my other pursuits and as an adjunct to increase my usable power capacity.

Same with me. Although I'm still a bit away from retirement, I don't want age to hold me back from whatever I want to do when I am retired. Weightlifting, plyo, sprinting will hopefully help me age gracefully.

Good luck in your renewed interest in fitness, and thank you much for the help,
Jack

akbound
11-12-2004, 11:43
Jack,

I'm not sure how gracefully time will allow me to age, but I certainly concur with the sentiment. ;) I'd certainly like to be able to continue the activities I enjoy through the balance of my life. Actually there are still a few things, (okay, actually many things), that I'd like to accomplish with the minimum of concessions to the aging process.

There's always one more mountain, one more challenge, one more dream. Places to go, things to see, and things to do! I hope to continue the pursuit of them until my death. Now if life and fate will see it that way as well I'll do my best to cooperate.

Sometimes my wife thinks I'm experiencing a mid-life crisis claiming I'm acting out a second childhood. I just explain that I never got past the first. :)

Dave