poll : close call [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : poll : close call

julianz
10-12-2004, 09:24
let us o see if who among BOG's has/had close calls in our favorite sport..say accidents, kabooms and other gun related life treathening incidents that you cannnot forget , you can even include non-gun related accidents.

What did you do? did it dampen your spirit or did it make you a better person..increase your confidence.increase your..umm tenacity
what did you learn.

i have no gun related accidents yet-hope non in the future, but in 1998 here in the mid east i was in a vehicular accident that had left a scar on my left cheek ..what did i learn ...to have my seat belt on at all time and never assume that all drivers follow road signs/traffic lights...make me realise life is short got to be with my family..**** what am i doing here. oh well got to earn money to buy more guns.

vega
10-12-2004, 12:03
Close AD - I just finished my run and the RO told me to remove mag and show clear. I remove my mag and put it in my right armpit and showed clear. He didn't bother to tell me to hammer down and holster my pistol and proceed to call the shots. I got my mag from my armpit and put it back on my pistol which was lock back. Only after I released the slide lock did I realized that my pistol was hot.

I immediately removed the mags and cleared it again ad holstered my pistol. And guess what, nobody noticed.

vega

julianz
10-12-2004, 12:05
thats really a close one vega..good no one notice and best no AD

kerwin
10-12-2004, 21:33
A close call? hmmm....
I brought to the office a FEG P9r, i wasnt really familiar with its safety/decocker feature but loaded a hot ammo anyway. I removed the magazine, hand cocked the hammer, decocked it and squeezed its trigger. The safety on the pistol worked. The next thing i knew was that i deactivated the decocker and pulled the trigger to check its DA pull. Kaboom! a neat 9mm hole was smoking 2 inces away from my leg, and from where i was sitting, i can see that my Astron Karaoke had an ugly hole on its speaker. Good thing it happened early in the Morning and there were only 2 employees with me that time.

I learned a lot from that experience. I became very concious when im "playing" with firearms. I will never allow another Negligient Discharge to happen to me.

agentrod
10-13-2004, 18:54
kerwin,

That really is a close call, I know you are now a lot wiser.

9MX
10-13-2004, 19:05
Originally posted by vega
Close AD - I just finished my run and the RO told me to remove mag and show clear. I remove my mag and put it in my right armpit and showed clear. He didn't bother to tell me to hammer down and holster my pistol and proceed to call the shots. I got my mag from my armpit and put it back on my pistol which was lock back. Only after I released the slide lock did I realized that my pistol was hot.

I immediately removed the mags and cleared it again ad holstered my pistol. And guess what, nobody noticed.

vega

vega,
just curious, why did you put the mag in the pistol when you just finished your run?

as for me, i almost got DQd in the Ermita Cup, after engaging the targets on the left side, I ran diagonally to the right to engage the next array still located on the left side. To fellow lefties, I guess you can relate, as I ran..my body went ahead of my left hand almost breaking the 180 deg rule. I was embarassed because I should have been more conscious;g

Buti na lang mabait yung RO kahit parang si Hitler nung sinermonan ako;z

9MX
10-13-2004, 19:08
Originally posted by kerwin
A close call? hmmm....
I
I learned a lot from that experience. I became very concious when im "playing" with firearms. I will never allow another Negligient Discharge to happen to me.

my friend,

i'm sure you did. sa bogs anniversary meet, be there and get to meet darwin25 aka Mr. AD, VCD player naman ang sinira niya;f

zorkd
10-13-2004, 21:23
just two days ago, my norinco, which is notorious for throwing brass helter skelter, threw one straight up and back.

eksakto, na shoot siya sa left eye ko and got lodged between my eyelids and my eye glass frame.

damn, it burned, it was really hot, and i couldn't just drop my gun and pull my glasses off as the gun was still loaded.

carefully, i pulled my glasses off with me left hand, let the brass fall, asked the range assistant to fix my ear protectors and continued my COF.

i know it's no reason to shoot without eyewear but in this instance, it was the fact that i had eyewear that allowed for the spent case to sear me.

i better get wrap arounds or something i guess.

cznayr
10-13-2004, 21:40
Was doing double taps at the range when my 1st "tap" didn't fire, it went like tick.. because of the motion I only stopped after the 2nd click.. May naipit pala na basyo sa barrel good thing the 2nd bullet was a dud.. I was new then and the RO assigned was kunwaring RO lang.. The professionals came to the rescue, they dislogged the bullet using a stick.. the RO was reprimanded by the other ROs since he should have spotted that.. Wala na sana akong daliri

mc_oliver
10-14-2004, 00:17
Last time I had an AD was very recent. After a practice run, removed the mag, racked the slide (without chamber checking). Pulled the trigger...BOOM! Buti na lang wala'ng nagti-tape downrange.

Turns out the loaded round caught on the cmore and didn't eject. Sigh...off with the cmore muna until I can get a real open gun.

These things you think you're doing it right and skip some checks. Heed the rules and everything should be fine...must be due to people doing it wrong way before us. ;f

vega
10-14-2004, 07:15
Originally posted by 9MX
vega,
just curious, why did you put the mag in the pistol when you just finished your run?
The mag came from my armpit, not from the pouch. My intention was to put it back on the pouch but since the RO started calling the shots I lost my concentration and I did what I was programmed to do. I saw a pistol with an open slide waiting for the mags to be inserted.

After that I make sure that I put my slide (edited to add: I mean mags) on my pocket or pouch. Sinasabayan ko na din ang RO sa pag sigaw ng "show clear and hammer down and holster".

Oh, did I mention that I got DQd for AD while changing mag. That wasn't as bad as the above mentioned close call. My pistol was pointed down range and nagulat na lang ako biglang pumutok. That was a good lesson learned. I just hope it won't happen to newbies.

vega

doctabako
10-14-2004, 07:33
Originally posted by zorkd

i know it's no reason to shoot without eyewear but in this instance, it was the fact that i had eyewear that allowed for the spent case to sear me.

i better get wrap arounds or something i guess.

This is one of the reasons why its advisable to wear a Bull or Baseball style Cap(with the bill forward)whether its sunny or not. This minimizes if not eliminates the chance of having ejected shells wedging themselves between the eyewear and your lids:)
That said I also find wearing caps a hassle as they ruin the Do;f

julianz
10-14-2004, 09:01
zorkd, i had the same but not exactly similar brass attack from a llama i rented at centerfire long time ago wasnt wearing a cap, a couple of brass flew inside my shirt.. since i was just starting to shoot during that time at medyo sobrang bomba ang adrenalin i didnt feel a thing sarap rumatrat eh , after the shoot on my way home i felt something weird on my chest sunog pala balat ko.

kerwin,sorry to hear that your karaoke got shot..its a good thing no one really got hurt.

cznayr, muntik ka na din.

you guys have close calls i guess the lesson from these are to wear proper protective equipment,study the gun manual and get familiar with our pricy precious and when shooting reloads make sure each one of thenm are carefully scrutinized ,checked and measured. But most important of all the 4 basic rules.

Safe handling safe shooting to all of us.

cebuboy
10-15-2004, 06:18
had a case failure 2 weeks ago. made me more careful on what i feed my pistolas:) hehe, considering on geting a revo:)