SRV [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SRV

pellertpale
10-12-2004, 12:46
This was induced by watching the Directv Freeview last month. It was the 1st time I had the pleasure of watching Stevie play since getting a guitar.

pellertpale
10-12-2004, 12:49
"Lenny" is awesome.

You gotta harness inspirotta.

pellertpale
10-12-2004, 12:50
I wish I was there...:cool:

rappa29
10-12-2004, 12:54
This was induced by watching the Directv Freeview last month. It was the 1st time I had the pleasure of watching Stevie play

That was the first time I've ever seen him perform. He was UNBELIEVABLE! His tone and technique were truly one of a kind! I've heard his music plenty over the years, but watching him play is a completely different experience!

pellertpale
10-12-2004, 12:58
I watched Voodoo Chile and Texas Flood 6 times in two days! That behind the back soloing was amazing. It was like watching a painter with a brush. The visual artistry of him using every switch and knob of the guitar. My first electric will be a Fender!

rappa29
10-12-2004, 13:17
That behind the back soloing was amazing.

Indeed! The thing that really blew my mind was the strumming thing he does where his pick hand is barely moving, but you hear the chords as if he were strumming real fast. Kind of hard to describe, but if you saw the show you know what I mean. Unbelievable! IMHO, truly one of the greatest ever!

pellertpale
10-12-2004, 20:34
Exactly! From the slightest hand movement comes an onslaught of sound.

JDP
10-23-2004, 20:49
If you like him you should check out where he learned it. Freddie King, Albert King, Buddy Guy, Otis Rush and of course Hendrix. The great thing about Stevie is that he was a synthesis of all those great players. I don't think he was ever as good as any of them but that's just my opinion.

California Jack
10-30-2004, 22:16
I was introduced to SRV a few days after Texas Flood was released at the Stone in San Francisco. It was really cool.

sc6gun
10-30-2004, 22:38
yeah, I wastched the freeview, too. It was great to watch SRV playing...I have a couple of his albums, one of them being "live at montreaux"...great stuff!

pellertpale
11-23-2004, 10:53
Anyways. I've been stuck on Dirty Pool and Tin Pin Alley.

Dimmak
11-24-2004, 22:01
SRV was great, no doubt, however you should watch David Gilmour play sometime. Simply wonderful.....

I have several Strats and love them all. Hard to beat for versatility and tone variance....

Bullman
12-05-2004, 10:21
Now I am probably a bigger Pink Floyd fan than I am a SRV fan, i have lots of Floyd and I don't have a single SRV CD (I should be pummeled for that). HOW in the world can you put David Gilmour and Stevie Ray Vaughn in the same sentence?? SRV is a much more technical player, he is really on a different plane than Gilmour. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge Floyd fan, but listen to the guitar solo on Comfortably Numb, it sounds great and I love it, but I think anyone could do it that could play the guitar reasonably well (that excludes me)

pete1953
12-05-2004, 22:03
Albert King talked about passing the guitar on the Stevie. Unfortunately, his life was too short...........