buying a rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : buying a rifle

jundeleon
10-12-2004, 22:48
A friend is selling his M16 baby rifle at 50k.
Finish is ok. He says its all original colt. Cannot test fire asap.
How do you examine the condition of a rifle like this before buying?
What are the things you should look out for?

Evan N. Payawal
10-13-2004, 04:31
From what I've read, usually what you look at in a used M16 is the condition of the boltface, the locking lugs on the bolt carrier,and the cam pin (it's the thing that moves on the side of the bolt carrier that sticks out; it rotates the locking lugs into place when the bolt is fully forward, locking the breech when firing. These are what crack when the rifle is really abused. You can also take a peep at the lands and grooves in the barrel. Some things however, you can't see, like inside the gas tube. Test fire is really the best way to be sure.

ogiebb
10-13-2004, 05:43
looks for any cracks in the lower and see if there are excessive wear on barrel ang bolt carrier..the finish is nothing madali naman ipa blue ulit e...for 50k ok na yan siguro some pre bans here cost $1200

vega
10-13-2004, 07:17
Originally posted by jundeleon
A friend is selling his M16 If he's really a friend he will tell you off-hand what's wrong with it. Goodluck with your would-be purchase.

vega

bulm540
10-13-2004, 07:19
check the bore for any pitting.

jundeleon
10-13-2004, 07:51
Examined the gun this afternoon and it looked ok.
Barrel is chrome lined. No pitting. Finish is still ok, except for a few scratches, which I think is normal. Lower is Elisco. Upper is Colt. Retractable buttstock. 16 inch barrel. One magazine.

Seller said no problem with gun's functioning. To back up his word, he said he will fix whatever's wrong with the gun if it doesnt function properly.

This looks cheaper than putting together a rifle piece by piece.

St. Croix
10-13-2004, 09:02
its an "ElisColt" pala. pricey at 50K but considering the barrel is chrome lined, might be worth it. would have been better though if the lower was the orig Colt and not the upper. check also the carrying handle. there should be a "C" and "H" marking on the right side just below the rear sight. (Colt markings)

horge
10-13-2004, 19:37
Aren't there intrinsic gas/timing problems with the 'baby' rifle,
owing to the shortened barrel?
The sort that lead to metal fatigue and failure?
Just asking.

asintaderoche
10-13-2004, 19:58
chromed or non chromed barrel don't differ, the performance is practically the same. precision rifles don't have chromed barrels but battle rifles usually have it. must be the nature of use is being considered in chroming. m16 baby elisco price go from 30t-35t basic.

jasonub
10-13-2004, 20:17
50t for that rifle seems an ok price. remember that the colts are all vietnam era rifles. i will prefer a elisco since its newer. Both are milspec and forged. the elisco barrels are ok but are not chrome lined.

prices of m16s that are in good condition are now at 50t plus, for newer ones like bushmaster etc, you will reach 130t.

I bought mine for 50t M16A2 full sized elisco lower(brand new) and colt aftermarket parts, the owner built it brand new and shot less than 500 rounds through it.

as for the shorter barrel rifle it has some function issues wear and tear should be the same as the long barrel counterpart. the short barrel most of the time cannot produce enough gas pressureto push the bolt back. this is more common on less than 14 inch barrels, a 16-18 inch barrel is easy to tune, probably does not need tuning.

good luck.

jundeleon
10-13-2004, 21:01
Thanks for the inputs.
I think I will take a risk on the unit.
The owner and gunshop which is facilitating the buy are giving me a sort of warranty on the unit anyway. If its not working properly, just take it back to them and they will fix it.
I think it would cost me a lot more if I assemble it.
Just my estimate:
upper assy 12k to 15k
lower assy 12k to 15k
barrel 10k to 15k
bolt assy ?
internal parts ?
buttstock 5k
handle/handguard ?
magazine/s 1k
sling ?
gunsmithing fees ?

Of course, by assembling a rifle, you get to choose the components. And with a used rifle, what you see is what you get.
As long as it does not jam on semi and full auto, and does not kb on me, ok na siguro.

mbclubph
10-14-2004, 09:11
mine is a bushmaster receiver with flat top,retractable stock (rock river) model 1 7.5 inch barrel all internal parts are made in us vertical grip eotech and surefire light cost me around 130k or up all in brandnew sir just to give some idea:) :) :)

ogiebb
10-14-2004, 12:04
Originally posted by mbclubph
mine is a bushmaster receiver with flat top retractable stock (rock river) model 1 7.5 inch barrel all internal parts are made in us vertical grip eotech and surefire light cost me around 130k or up all in brandnew sir just to give some idea:) :) :)

wow nice is this the one you have? ;)

jundeleon
10-14-2004, 13:12
great looking gun.

did you assemble it? or did you buy it as a unit?

does it cycle well in full auto?

ogiebb
10-14-2004, 13:38
Originally posted by mbclubph
mine is a bushmaster receiver with flat top retractable stock (rock river) model 1 7.5 inch barrel all internal parts are made in us vertical grip eotech and surefire light cost me around 130k or up all in brandnew sir just to give some idea:) :) :)

kung ikaw ang nag buo ng rifle mo dapat alam mo kung anong part yan or anong scope yan bakit OKO yung scope? akala ko ba eotech ...hmm naglabas ba ng bagong scope ang eotech....i know i saw that picture before di ko lang matandaan..ikaw pala may ari...and dude whats a Flat top retractable stock?

bulm540
10-14-2004, 16:43
Ditto on that one, that is not an EOTECH. That is an OKO. I have one mounted on my fixed A2 on a Bennie Cooley c0-witness mount.

bulm540
10-14-2004, 16:45
That's not an M4 either. M4 is a carbine with the cutout on the front of the barrel to the M-203 greande launcher. M 4s have a 14.5" barrel.

mbclubph
10-14-2004, 17:14
yung nasa pic got it sa net parang ganun lang yung akin sorry no pic mga sir i know the eotech ofcourse i will not buy if i dont know kung anu yon... thanks i think concern lang kayo baka nagkamali ako :) :) :) wala ako sinabi m4 yung akin co'z hindi ko na alam tawag sa 7.5 inch barrel maybe baby m4???:) guys thanks for bein concern

ooppppppppppppsssssss the picture below hindi ko alam tawag eh hehehe ;a ;a

bulm540
10-14-2004, 17:23
Ah, An explorer sport trac. Nice truck.

Valor1
10-14-2004, 17:33
Second time around you posted a pic that is not yours (remember the Colt pistol tha has a sentimental value?). BOG's can easily identify any gun you may post, so please be "careful" next time.

I assume you've got a digital camera because you've posted in the buy and sell thread. You can always use it if you like.

Just a friendly reminder Mbclubph.

mbclubph
10-14-2004, 17:54
bawal ba magpost ng pareho sa gamit ko??? sorry kung bawal hindi ko alam eh.... ah sportrac nga tawag dun sorry:) :) :)

SORRY GUYS

bulm540
10-14-2004, 21:20
No problem, I just got confuse there for a minute.

vega
10-15-2004, 09:23
You can post pics that is not yours but you should also tell off-hand that what you owned is similar to that pic para hindi confusing.

vega