How do I uninstall Windows XP SP2? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do I uninstall Windows XP SP2?

sinecure
10-12-2004, 23:18
I got the CD last week and a "helpful" family member installed it on a laptop. Now the whole thing is bollixed-up and I can't access the wireless internet connection at all.

I run Mozilla and Thunderbird for browser/mail, and ZoneAlarm for a firewall. Apparently SP2 has decided that I am wrong in doing so and has made IE and SP2's new firewall as default. I've reinstated Mozilla and ZA as defaults, but it's still "no connection" when I try to connect to the internet. Things worked just fine before the SP2 "update".

I looked for an "uninstall" program for SP2, but can't find it. I was told that all the old settings were saved somewhere on the hard drive at SP2's installation. Is this true?

Is it as simple as using control panel's "add/remove programs"?

Thanks for any help...

JMag
10-12-2004, 23:22
Have you tried repairing network connections and/or resetting any cable/DSL modem and router? Worked for me.

NetNinja
10-13-2004, 06:09
Start/Settings/Control Panel

Add Remove Programs

You should have an entry

Windows XP service Pack 2.

Pray that they did a backup of the old files when they so helpfully installed the Service pack 2 update.

ronin_asano
10-13-2004, 10:25
did you turn off the windows firewall?

as i recall the sp2 install now does a backup of previous files automatically.

Willard
10-13-2004, 13:11
Use Win XP's System Restore function. Just roll your system back to a "restore point" before you installed SP2. That's what I did when SP2 screwed my PC. BTW, I installed SP2 on two other PCs, and it worked great. This PC I am posting from DID NOT like SP2. Don't know why.

Wulfenite
10-13-2004, 13:17
I did SP2 on my old lap top and a friends notebook and it worked fine. That was befoer I read about all the problems. Now I'm afraid to do my wife's desktop machine.

Ffolkes
10-13-2004, 16:52
Earlier versions of xp had the firewall off by default, with sp2 the firewall is now on automaticaly wich can cause connection problems.
__
ffolkes

MikeG22
10-13-2004, 17:48
Just go to the properties of your internet connection and you can disable the windows firewall. That will likely clear up any problems.

You might need to give your wireless you're wep key and such if it still doesn't connect.

Jack Straight
10-13-2004, 18:19
Originally posted by sinecure
How do I uninstall Windows XP SP2?

12 gauge? ;a

hogrider
10-13-2004, 18:42
It's real easy...

RedHat, SuSE, Gentoo, Debian, *BSD

Anyone will solve your problem!

^c