Data retrieval from fried hard drive [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Data retrieval from fried hard drive

Patricia
10-13-2004, 08:08
The hard drive on the computer I use the most has died. Is there a way to retrieve the data from it? I've been told it can't be done by conventional means but must be pulled right from the platters.

Before I get any lectures on backing up, I've already received a very healthy dose of that and will mend the error of my ways. Fortunately, I backed up my accounting program everyday. I had a bunch of emails that I need though.

Help! ;1 ;1

AAshooter
10-13-2004, 08:26
There are certainly companies that specialize in data recovery that could recover your data. One technique is to disassemble the drives and pull the platters. They may also be able to fix the PC board if that is the problem. Either of these is not particularly cheap but may be worth it to you.

If you are backup challenged like most of the world, you may consider getting a Raid installed to do disk mirroring. Then everything is automatically duplicated. Of course, if you delete the wrong file, you duplicate that also.

Tennessee Slim
10-13-2004, 09:15
How dead is dead? Has it completely and utterly failed or are you just no longer able to boot off it?

proguncali
10-13-2004, 09:57
If the drive spins, I can get the data off it. If not, it will cost you a couple thousand or more at a reputable firm.

Ripper_1394
10-13-2004, 10:03
Make the drive a slave in another pc and see if you can access the drive. If that doesn't work, take it out, throw it in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes and try it again.

AAshooter
10-13-2004, 11:55
Originally posted by Ripper_1394
. . . throw it in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes and try it again.

sounds silly but probably worth a try. Might want to use an anti-static bag for it.

Ripper_1394
10-13-2004, 12:00
Originally posted by AAshooter
sounds silly but probably worth a try. Might want to use an anti-static bag for it.

We had a hard drive die at work in our main system. Yes we had daily backups, however we didn't want to take the time to rebuild and restore and even if we did, we would still have lost the data that had been entered for that day. We ended up throwing the hard drive in the freezer and we successfully copied the data to a new drive. Saved us a lot of time.

AAshooter
10-13-2004, 12:07
Originally posted by Ripper_1394
We had a hard drive die at work in our main system. Yes we had daily backups, however we didn't want to take the time to rebuild and restore and even if we did, we would still have lost the data that had been entered for that day. We ended up throwing the hard drive in the freezer and we successfully copied the data to a new drive. Saved us a lot of time.

Makes sense, electronic failures can be very sensitive to temp.

Wulfenite
10-13-2004, 12:15
You'd think it would heat back up pretty quickly once you put the power to it.

NetNinja
10-13-2004, 12:17
Find an exact duplicate.

Do a search on ebay or your local PC store that sells OEM computer parts.

If you can find the exact model you can swap the electronics boards and possibly recover the data.

I have done this twice and saved two customers of mine thier data.

Cinic
10-13-2004, 15:03
Originally posted by NetNinja
Find an exact duplicate.

Do a search on ebay or your local PC store that sells OEM computer parts.

If you can find the exact model you can swap the electronics boards and possibly recover the data.

I have done this twice and saved two customers of mine thier data.

Just out of curiosity, is it usually the electronics that fail on a drive or something physical?

AAshooter
10-13-2004, 16:41
Originally posted by NetNinja

The key word is Exact. I am not always sure the same model drive will necessarily have a compatiable pc board. I think you are pretty safe most time. Of course, unless you are willing to spend big money, you don't have much to lose.

Cinic, my experience is something physical happens to the media and takes a dump before the electronics usually do. As a teacher once said, it's a 50-50 chance for your drive. Either the drive or the electronics will fail. Statistics don't mean much on a sample of one.

Patricia
10-13-2004, 16:47
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. :)

Looks like Data Doctors is going to be able to help me. They retrieved my data and only charged me $90.00. Life is good. :)

prism
10-13-2004, 17:19
for future backups, an external hard drive is handy! you can move data onto it, then unplug it and store it anywhere you like.

AAshooter
10-13-2004, 17:25
Originally posted by prism
for future backups, an external hard drive is handy! you can move data onto it, then unplug it and store it anywhere you like.

Some of the USB or Firewire drives are pretty amazing. You can also get kits to build one if you already have a spare drive laying around.

AAshooter
10-13-2004, 17:26
Originally posted by Sidearmor
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. :)

Looks like Data Doctors is going to be able to help me. They retrieved my data and only charged me $90.00. Life is good. :)

Congrats! Sounds like a great solution.